Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: outright bragging thread

we were invited to a fourth of july pot-luck picnic, so i made (vegan) cajun bbq baked black-eyed peas with dried gluten. boy, were they ever well-received! nice and spicy, and i felt that unless i'd brought apple pie i couldn't have been more traditional for an americano gathering. yay!
    "And the sun and moon
    Sometimes argue over
    Who will tuck me in at night.
    If you think I am having more fun
    Than anyone on this planet
    You are absolutely correct...
    I hold the Lion's Paw whenever I dance."
    -Hafiz

Had some folks over for dinner last night and made a kick-ass cioppino. Used clams, mussels, shrimp, calamari, scallops, cod, and mahi mahi. Hard to go wrong with that cast of characters if you like seafood, but it was the broth that was truly kick-ass. Had nice crusty sourdough to sop it up with. Also made a tortellini salad, an arugula-pea sprout salad, and grilled, marinated veggies (baby artichokes, Japanese eggplants, portobello mushrooms, several types of peppers, and cippolini onions. Each had their own marinade. Made a cherry pie entirely from scratch with vanilla ice cream for dessert.
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

time to resurrect this thread because this past Christmas dinner was AMAZING.

Honey-sesame almonds and pomegranate seeds to go on top of the baby spinach-apple-unripened goat cheese salad (with maple balsamic dressing).

Roast duck (rubbed with nutmeg, salt, thyme and rosemary, stuffed with the same, garlic cloves and half an orange) and Gravy made with the duck drippings, red wine, and mulling spices.

Home-made Spätzle, fried in duck fat.

Roast cauliflower with parmesan.

Vegetarian moussaka.

Celery-onion-sage bread dressing

Trifle, topped with marzipan sculpted by the eldest gelfling.

10690098_10152481575781363_6767617080785113409_n.jpg
    "And the sun and moon
    Sometimes argue over
    -Hafiz

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    That does sound amazing, and labor intensive. I assume you had a mix of vegetarians and carnivores at the table, and hopefully, made a dent in the task of consuming it? Nice photo, btw.

We had a quiet Christmas at home, just the two of us, but we did eat well. We had roast duck w/morello cherry sauce, adapted from Julia Child's Roast Duck w/Montmorrency cherries (from Mastering the Art of French Cooking vol. 1), mashed potato w/parsnip, & roast carrots. The gravy has port and the morello cherries added and it was amazing ladled over the potato and duck. Freshly baked chocolate chip cookies for dessert. My husband works so much he's not able to cook very often but his duck turned out really well and I'm looking forward to leftovers tonight.
    Last edited by shiningbrow; December 27th, 2014 at 04:37 PM.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Quote Originally Posted by Ms D View Post
    time to resurrect this thread because this past Christmas dinner was AMAZING.

Honey-sesame almonds and pomegranate seeds to go on top of the baby spinach-apple-unripened goat cheese salad (with maple balsamic dressing).

Roast duck (rubbed with nutmeg, salt, thyme and rosemary, stuffed with the same, garlic cloves and half an orange) and Gravy made with the duck drippings, red wine, and mulling spices.

Home-made Spätzle, fried in duck fat.

Roast cauliflower with parmesan.

Vegetarian moussaka.

Celery-onion-sage bread dressing

Trifle, topped with marzipan sculpted by the eldest gelfling.
    Oh. My. God.

Can I come to your place for dinner next holiday season?! I *love* trifle and am nuts for marzipan. And duck. And I've heard of spatzle, but never had them. That sounds like it was an amazing dinner! Kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    We had a quiet Christmas at home, just the two of us, but we did eat well. We had roast duck w/morello cherry sauce, adapted from Julia Child's Roast Duck w/Montmorrency cherries (from Mastering the Art of French Cooking vol. 1), mashed potato w/parsnip, & roast carrots. The gravy has port and the morello cherries added and it was amazing ladled over the potato and duck. Freshly baked chocolate chip cookies for dessert.
    This sounds absolutely delicious as well! One of the reasons we had ducks for a couple years was to be able to have the occasional one for roasting. Also, they're hilarious and often quite friendly, depending on the breed. We had Muscovy ducks, so they were pretty & personable, and not noisy at all since they don't quack.

Also, delicious. They're kind of a 'heavy' breed and they're easy keepers, building up a nice layer of fat without any problem.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

i found that the duck breast on mine wasn't very tender, so am interested to hear how others cook theirs!
    this time i followed jamie oliver's "christmas duck" recipe: rubbed the spices on, put the bird directly onto a rack in the oven with a pan underneath and cooked it for 2 hours.
    another time i simply mulled a ducked with wine, vegetable stock, oranges and spices in a slow-cooker, then put it into the oven to crisp up the skin. it came out far more tender, but the skin wasn't as awesome as i'd hoped.
    "And the sun and moon
    Sometimes argue over
    -Hafiz

Quote Originally Posted by Ms D View Post
    i found that the duck breast on mine wasn't very tender, so am interested to hear how others cook theirs!
    Breast down instead of up. Otherwise it can dry out & toughen up. You could have gotten one that got some exercise, though, or maybe got stressed in the pre-kill handling. Whenever I roast a bird of any sort, I go for more of a bit of a braise; high heat for the first 30 min or so, then down low and slow for a good long while.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12