Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 673

Thread: [PF Scarred Lands PbP] - Book 1: Of Sound Mind

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarngeld View Post
    "We should head down soon in case he finds those Lurgen twins and decides to hire them. They'd have that caravan burned down and looted before he got 10 miles."
    "I don't suppose Artie Lurgen will ever forgive you for pantsing him at the Carnivale when you were six," replies Armstrong flatly. "Nor me for breaking his arm when he slugged you!" he adds with a thin smile.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tarngeld View Post
    "So one more drink? Then why don't we head down to see this caravan master?"

    "Sounds like a plan, brother. I'll have another Emerald Moss tea* with extra honey. How'd you like that white dog, by the way? Was it appropriately skanky, or are we calling that quality 'invigoratingly raw' now?"


    OOC: * Armstrong is a teetotaler (cf. his character sheet).


    Last edited by Rusty Halo; October 5th, 2012 at 07:01 PM.

 

  • #17
    WIS is my dump stat! Fenris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio
    2,190

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post
    "I don't suppose Artie Lurgen will ever forgive you for pantsing him at the Carnivale when you were six," replies Armstrong flatly. "Nor me for breaking his arm when he slugged you!" he adds with a thin smile.

    "Sounds like a plan, brother. I'll have another Emerald Moss tea* with extra honey. How'd you like that white dog, by the way? Was it appropriately skanky, or are we calling that quality 'invigoratingly raw' now?"
    "It's not bad. Might be able to use it to peel the paint. I will have to remember this one when some idiot wants to try and drink me under the table. A splash of this in your tea might even help loosen that stick up your arse Prickly" retorts Finn with a grin before getting up and getting the drinks. After the brothers have their drinks they saunter out of the bar to the caravan hiring site.

    OOC: We need a name for us Rusty. We don't share the same last name so I can't say "The So and So brothers". Think on it.I have a few thoughts though.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will never sit under.

    Play By Post Games

  • #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    The brothers saunter out of the bar and head for the caravan hiring site.

    "Mother made me promise to share this with you," says Prickly, as he pulls a large crescent roll filled with spiced venison from his duffle. "She knows it's your favorite!"

    He takes a large bite from the crispy end, consuming nearly two-thirds of the pastry treat before handing it to his brother.

  • #19
    WIS is my dump stat! Fenris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio
    2,190

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post
    "Mother made me promise to share this with you," says Prickly, as he pulls a large crescent roll filled with spiced venison from his duffle. "She knows it's your favorite!"

    He takes a large bite from the crispy end, consuming nearly two-thirds of the pastry treat before handing it to his brother.
    Finn looks askance at the paltry pastry "They are my favorite" he says as he wolfs down the last few bites left for him. "Which is why I stole the last one" he grins as he pulls out a second venison pastry. Finn suddenly breaks into a run as he eats the last pastry.
    Last edited by Fenris; October 14th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will never sit under.

    Play By Post Games

  • #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Finn suddenly breaks into a run as he eats the last pastry.

    "F*cker was always quicker on his feet than I!" thinks Armstrong to himself, as he reluctantly trails/tails his brother.

  • #21
    WIS is my dump stat! Fenris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio
    2,190

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post
    "F*cker was always quicker on his feet than I!" thinks Armstrong to himself, as he reluctantly trails/tails his brother.

    As Prickly ends his walk at the end if the street he finds his brother there lounging on a tree stump. Finn tosses an apple to his brother as he rejoins him on the walk to the caravan site. "So, you ready to leave this place? Mom's going to be pissed."
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will never sit under.

    Play By Post Games

  • #22
    performs tricks AuroraGyps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Province
    Anxiety Closet, Bloom County
    Oratio
    5,868

    Ignore User
    From behind a tree near the stump steps Mina, who has been strolling around getting the lay of the land & the skinny on the town, as is her habit to do.

    "Leave? I thought we just got here?" She strolls over to the stump, puts one foot on it, and leans in with her hands on her knee. "Still, considering what I've heard, leaving may not be such a bad idea if we want to remain healthy"
    I'm dealing with a lot of scary things. I think you have to react to them. And you either laugh at them or you go insane. Jim Butcher, Death Masks

    "I love you and I love vanilla, but your family tastes like paper."

    Personal Dream

  • #23
    OOC: Feel free to continue background establishment in "flashback" mode; for now, I am moving time forwards to when the group is approaching Bellhold in hopes of obtaining employment as described in post #14. Also take note of the knowledge check results I provided for PCs in post #15.


    It's late afternoon as the party is on the outskirts of Bellhold. Emerging from the woods, the road is flanked by fields on either side, rich with summer grass in reddish soil. The farm to the left of the party has a pasture full of horses. Ahead of the party, a ridge of mountains looms towards the sky.

    The silhouette of the closest mountain looks vaguely like a church steeple. A small town in nestled in the valley beneath the mountain, perhaps a few miles down the road. A river can be seen snaking out from the mountain, curling around the town, and flowing down the valley. In the sunlight, plumes of smoke from several forges stain the otherwise clear air, and the party can hear the far-off ringing of church bells.

    A few hundred feet away down the road from the group, an elderly man dressed in work clothes stands in the road, looking frustrated. Seemingly unaware of the man, two large workhorses graze on the good grass of the field. As you watch, he sidles forward and grabs for one of the horses, but both bolt away down the road. They stop 20 feet away from the group and seem to ignore the man once again, putting their heads down to graze. The man drops several lead ropes in disgust.

    Seeing the party near the horses, the man waves at the party and approaches.
    Bold adventurers needed! Now recruiting adventures in the Scarred Lands!
    Slaad's Scarred Lands Pathfinder PbP: (Recruiting - IC - OOC - Characters)

    The Secret Volcano Base: my neglected RPG blog

  • #24

    Armstrong raises his hand to the old man, palm open, indicating for him to stand still. He speaks in a gentle voice, "Your handsome drafts got away from you, did they, grandfather?" Turning his head toward Finn and nodding gently, his eyes rolling toward the horses, Armstrong takes two steps forward. He takes two more steps, pauses to pull a small apple from his pocket, then advances slowly on the nearest horse. "Does my big girl need a treat?" he says kindly, and reaches for her bridle.


    OOC: Handle Animal: 25

    I added +2 for an "Aid Another" from Finn. Otherwise it's a 23.

  • #25
    WIS is my dump stat! Fenris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio
    2,190

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post
    Armstrong raises his hand to the old man, palm open, indicating for him to stand still. He speaks in a gentle voice, "Your handsome drafts got away from you, did they, grandfather?" Turning his head toward Finn and nodding gently, his eyes rolling toward the horses, Armstrong takes two steps forward. He takes two more steps, pauses to pull a small apple from his pocket, then advances slowly on the nearest horse. "Does my big girl need a treat?" he says kindly, and reaches for her bridle.
    Finn watches with interest as Armstrong approaches the horses. With a small laugh he adds "Well lookit that. That may be the first time your ugly mug hasn't scared an animal off Prickly. I guess my natural charm with animals* is finally starting to rub off on you."

    OOC: *Wild Empathy
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will never sit under.

    Play By Post Games

  • #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    "That may be the first time your ugly mug hasn't scared an animal off, Prickly."
    "It was the apple. You can always catch more flies with honey than vinegar," replies Armstrong flatly.


    Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    "I guess my natural charm with animals is finally starting to rub off on you."

    Raising his eyebrows, Armstrong nods toward the other horse, "Then charm him already, brother!"

  • #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Finn watches with interest as Armstrong approaches the horses. With a small laugh he adds "Well lookit that. That may be the first time your ugly mug hasn't scared an animal off Prickly. I guess my natural charm with animals* is finally starting to rub off on you."

    OOC: *Wild Empathy


    Finn can tell the horses are irritable and upset; he's actually a little surprised that the horses are letting Armstrong get as close as he is. The old farmer, having grabbed the lead, offers them up to secure the horses. But they still look a little skittish, you're not quite sure that they'll take the lead.

    The farmer hands you the leads, and with a little coaxing, they come along back to the barn. On the way back, the farmer introduces himself as Othic, thanks the group for their help, and invites them for a meal.



    While taking the horses back to the barn, Mina and Finn notice that both horses have a small scab on their head, as if pricked by a thorn.
    Bold adventurers needed! Now recruiting adventures in the Scarred Lands!
    Slaad's Scarred Lands Pathfinder PbP: (Recruiting - IC - OOC - Characters)

    The Secret Volcano Base: my neglected RPG blog

  • #28
    WIS is my dump stat! Fenris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio
    2,190

    Ignore User
    OOC: Are the scabs in the same spot on both of the horses head's?


    "Our thanks Othic, it was no trouble at all. I think we could all use a meal. But tell me Othic, your horses are very upset, where have they been? Did you take them through some brambles recently?"
    asks Finn as he takes a closer look at the scabs.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will never sit under.

    Play By Post Games

  • #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    OOC: Are the scabs in the same spot on both of the horses head's?
    OOC: Only roughly.


    "Our thanks Othic, it was no trouble at all. I think we could all use a meal. But tell me Othic, your horses are very upset, where have they been? Did you take them through some brambles recently?"
    asks Finn as he takes a closer look at the scabs.
    "Well, I'm not quite sure. Blaze and Broadsword--the horses--went missing last week. They showed up again last night, and I penned them up, but they just escaped again when you kind folks came along. Thank Madriel for that!"



    Finn chances feeling the area of the scab on one of the horses with his fingers. The horse recoils before he could get a good feel for it, but Finn briefly felt something hard embedded in the skin; perhaps a thorn broke off?
    Last edited by Caesar Slaad; October 17th, 2012 at 05:05 AM.
    Bold adventurers needed! Now recruiting adventures in the Scarred Lands!
    Slaad's Scarred Lands Pathfinder PbP: (Recruiting - IC - OOC - Characters)

    The Secret Volcano Base: my neglected RPG blog

  • #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaad View Post
    Othic invites them for a meal.

    Good soldier that he is, 'Thorn walks the perimeter of the close property before joining the others in the farmhouse for their repast. It's more from habit, training, and duty than it is possessing mad skillz for noticing anything unusual.

  • Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •