Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lately when I drink alcohol, my nose gets really stuffy.

Does this happen to anyone else? I've only really noticed it in the past year or so. Googled it and it looks fairly common. At first I just noticed it with beer and wondered if I was allergic to one of the plant ingredients, but now pretty much any kind of alcohol does it. I'm starting to wonder if I'm allergic to alcohol!

Province
    London, Canada
    Oratio

Ignore User
    You should have been around my drinking friends last night then - M brought out a Polish liquor that could have peeled the paint off the walls at 20 feet. I thought I was sitting in a VICKS vapor rub factory.

But dammit - I could breathe!
    “There is no intimacy; it’s not live,” he said of online games. “It’s being translated through a computer, and your imagination is not there the same way it is when you’re actually together with a group of people. It reminds me of one time where I saw some children talking about whether they liked radio or television, and I asked one little boy why he preferred radio, and he said, ‘Because the pictures are so much better.’ ” - E.G.Gygax 1938-2008

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Does this happen to anyone else? I've only really noticed it in the past year or so. Googled it and it looks fairly common. At first I just noticed it with beer and wondered if I was allergic to one of the plant ingredients, but now pretty much any kind of alcohol does it. I'm starting to wonder if I'm allergic to alcohol!
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alc...erance/DS01172

Are you taking any medications? Something in the beer could be interacting with your meds. Or, it could also be an additive in the alcoholic beverages you are drinking. You might see a doctor. This is another link to a pamphlet on food allergens from the NIH.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/food...oodallergy.pdf
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

I've been having this issue with or without meds, so I think it's the alcohol itself or an ingredient. I had to stop drinking red wine some years ago due to sulphites.

Province
    Schenectady, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Interesting. I do have my ears swell shut when i drink certain beers, which according to my audiologist BIL is due to an allergy to one of the ingredients. I have never had it with non-beer alcohols, so our theory is that it is probably a specific species of hops. Newcastle is the only national brand that does it, but plenty of local microbrews also affect me.

I personally don't worry about it, since i don't get sniffly, but it can be incredibly annoying since i can't hear! Ordinary benedryl or zyrtec takes care of it just fine.

I've seen no evidence that this sort of thing is progressive, so it seems like merely an annoyance and not much of a health risk, although that is based only on my audiologist BIL's semi-expert opinion!
    CM does GC!
    The google calendar to plan all of
    your Gencon scheduling needs.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I can't drink rum.

Love the stuff, but it's like an iron poker in my gut, so I don't drink it anymore.

My sympathies.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Ass Aggressor! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER loki44's Avatar
    Province
    Atlanta, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    You're obviously a lush. The only cure is to drink more rum.
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by loki44 View Post
    You're obviously a lush. The only cure is to drink more rum.
    Yeh and go into diabetic shock.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

If you're gonna spout out a downside, we're all waiting to hear one.
    Save time and see it my way.

Province
    Waynesville, NC
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Alc increases blood pressure. Which is why I've had to cut down to the modest two beers/two glasses of wine I do at dinner when I'm not working the swing shift.

A raise in blood pressure does a number on your body.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yeh, but as to the first post, it does sound like an allergic reaction to something in the liquor you're drinking or a reaction to meds+booze.

I'd stop drinking booze were I you. Anaphylactic shock isn't anyone's friend.

This might be your problem:

Non-allergic Rhinitis
    Some people experience symptoms of nasal congestion, runny nose and sneezing after the consumption of alcohol. This is likely due to the dilation of blood vessels in the nose, resulting in mucus production and nasal symptoms. This would be classified as a form of non-allergic rhinitis.
    http://allergies.about.com/od/faq/f/alcoholallergy.htm
    Last edited by kirinke; September 3rd, 2012 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    This might be your problem:

Non-allergic Rhinitis
    Some people experience symptoms of nasal congestion, runny nose and sneezing after the consumption of alcohol. This is likely due to the dilation of blood vessels in the nose, resulting in mucus production and nasal symptoms. This would be classified as a form of non-allergic rhinitis.
    http://allergies.about.com/od/faq/f/alcoholallergy.htm
    Yeah, that's the most likely thing I think.

used up and tossed aside Niannorth's Avatar
    Province
    Northumberland
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Can you not get hold of some 100% pure industrial quality stuff and mix with some distilled water? (make sure it's not denatured) Then you would know for sure if it was just the booze.
    "The flowers smell sweeter the closer you are to the grave."

"Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so to refer to people." J.R.R.T

Quote Originally Posted by Niannorth View Post
    Can you not get hold of some 100% pure industrial quality stuff and mix with some distilled water? (make sure it's not denatured) Then you would know for sure if it was just the booze.

Errr...where would I get that?!

Luckily I don't really like to drink much anymore anyway, and I seem to experience stomach issues if I drink more than a beer too, so, meh.

The kraken can be a wild mount to ride. Maybe you need to transition to Gin & Tonic like I have.
    Save time and see it my way.