Thread: Asshattery is Alive and Kicking!

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Hah!

After listening to a few of his v-blog posts I've added him to my "Must Check Daily" blog list, he's hysterical!

http://talesofgrim.wordpress.com/201...n-as-possible/
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Official Topic Approver COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Strithe's Avatar
    Province
    3rd circle of hell
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by jdrakeh View Post
    He's actively promoting rape as an awesome plot element in RPGs, stories, etc. Really, if that isn't proof enough for you, I'm not sure what is. If this was Byron Hall we were talking about, you'd be crucifying him and you know it.
    No comparison. FATAL's many flaws include a peculiar fixation with rape-themes and frat-boy sexuality, combined with Aspergers-level obsession with minutiae like a table for nipple type and size. Reading FATAL is a truly unique experience: part of you laughs at the silliness of it all, and part of you is genuinely disturbed that the creators were serious when they squeezed out this massive pile of shit. It's made all the more horrible by the repeated claims of "historical accuracy."

Desborough is arguing about the usefulness of rape themes as a story element. Although he does write in about it in as insensitive manner as possible and was clearly looking to stir up controversy, calling him a "rape promoter" is ridiculous. There's nothing in there that encourages actually committing acts of sexual assault.

The fact that some of the people casting stones at Desborough regularly play a game that is basically a glorified home invasion / murder / robbery scenario just adds to the hilarity.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Strithe View Post
    The fact that some of the people casting stones at Desborough regularly play a game that is basically a glorified home invasion / murder / robbery scenario just adds to the hilarity.
    That's no way to talk about D&D! You take that back!

Province
    3rd circle of hell
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    That's no way to talk about D&D! You take that back!
    NEVER

That's not quite what happened. James Desborough kicked the whole thing off with a blog entry defending fantasy rape as an "awesome plot element". You can read it here. This is where MalaDicta was coming from. And despite her/his asshattery, she/him pretty much has James Desborough pegged correctly as a "rape-promoter".
    That "kicked the whole thing off" blog post was in response to a bunch of fucktards slamming (most recently) the plot point of the next Tomb Raider game where Lara Croft escapes a near-rape. People went fucking ballistic over the "depowering" of the character, never mind that she overcame it like a champ and was not the Lara Croft we all know but a younger and inexperienced girl yet to grow into her full strengths. Fucking hell, the near-rape in question was implied at best anyhow.

That served as a rallying cry for the fucking retarded "rape is never to be used as a topic nor mentioned in passing anywhere because merely to contemplate the act is to denigrate all women and proclaim yourself a rape supporter".

In other words, Yay to that guy and "fuck you" to the vagina mafia.
    Last edited by PWD; June 23rd, 2012 at 02:07 AM.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Cannot rep for "vagina mafia".

"1 out of 3 Trump supporters is as stupid as the other 2"

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    That "kicked the whole thing off" blog post was in response to a bunch of fucktards slamming (most recently) the plot point of the next Tomb Raider game where Lara Croft escapes a near-rape. People went fucking ballistic over the "depowering" of the character, never mind that she overcame it like a champ and was not the Lara Croft we all know but a younger and inexperienced girl yet to grow into her full strengths. Fucking hell, the near-rape in question was implied at best anyhow.

That served as a rallying cry for the fucking retarded "rape is never to be used as a topic nor mentioned in passing anywhere because merely to contemplate the act is to denigrate all women and proclaim yourself a rape supporter".

In other words, Yay to that guy and "fuck you" to the vagina mafia.
    I hope to god on of them ever reads/sees Game of Thrones...
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarbonac View Post
    Cannot rep for "vagina mafia".

Got it covered. Now can someone cover me? Can only rep a guy once apparently.

Province
    Colorado Springs
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Strithe View Post
    No comparison. FATAL's many flaws include a peculiar fixation with rape-themes and frat-boy sexuality, combined with Aspergers-level obsession with minutiae like a table for nipple type and size.
    So do several of Desborough's works. He publishes a game explicitly about tentacle rape for God's sake. Of course, he doesn't claim historical accuracy, just "parody".
    If you're going to be an asshole, commit. Don't piss on me and tell me that it's raining.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So do several of Desborough's works. He publishes a game explicitly about tentacle rape for God's sake. Of course, he doesn't claim historical accuracy, just "parody".
    He did? Which game would that be then?

Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious Knid View Post
    Am I alone in finding RPGnet absolutely unbearable? I couldn't wade through the linked threads long enough to find any funny.
    You aren't wrong. Lots of the thread reads like psuedo intellectual freshmen who think they are smart for using big words after taking a few college courses. The thread on the Brave movie especially reads like that. I believe some people over there refuse to like and enjoy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Underpants Gnome View Post
    You aren't wrong. Lots of the thread reads like psuedo intellectual freshmen who think they are smart for using big words after taking a few college courses. The thread on the Brave movie especially reads like that. I believe some people over there refuse to like and enjoy anything.

I must admit I did get a little mental exercise trying to decide if the posting or the moderation was the most loathsome component of that reading experience. In the end I decided "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Fine, I'll say it because it's obvious -- VK is 100% right

He did? Which game would that be then?
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13210/hentacle

...and once again I fail to see the big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Fine, I'll say it because it's obvious -- VK is 100% right

Province
    3rd circle of hell
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So, by your metric George Carlin should have been arrested / fired / ostracized / or whatever punishment is deemed fit by the Thought Police.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FsfLPohZ_c"]George Carlin-rape CAN be funny - YouTube[/ame]

Province
    3rd circle of hell
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious Knid View Post
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13210/hentacle

...and once again I fail to see the big deal.
    My main metric for humor like that is simple: is it funny? FATAL's fatal flaw is that it really isn't, at least not any intentional way. Plus, the fact that the designers adamantly and straight-facedly defended their bullshit excuse for a game didn't help their case either.

Of course, that's some of Desborough's problem as well. The guy seems to revel in deliberately writing provocative material, and then basking in the waves of negativity that follow. It's why I don't feel THAT sorry for him getting fired by Mongoose: they made a business decision on whether continuing to buy his works was worth the negative attention.

Seeing that the preview pics for Hentacle on BGG include rules in both English and "Engrish" it looks pretty good so far...

I might just buy a bunch of this guy's work, and post photos of my purchases just to piss off the dudes who think that that mouthing pseudo-feminist garbage will actually get them laid.

• Page 16 of 223 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343566116 ... LastLast