Thread: Kansas Wins Again!

Kansas Wins Again!

Kansas passes anti-abortion conscience bill

OVERLAND PARK, KS (KCTV/AP) -
    Gov. Sam Brownback has signed legislation giving more legal protection to Kansas health care providers who refuse to participate in abortions.

Brownback's office announced the signing Monday, although it took place last week. The governor is a strong abortion opponent and had been expected to sign the measure, which takes effect in July.

Kansas law already protects doctors and hospitals from being forced to participate in abortions. This year's measure extends the so-called "conscience" protection to other health care facilities.

The legislation also says no individuals are required to refer patients for abortion services, or to participate in administering any drug they believe terminates a pregnancy.

Abortion opponents said the measure simply updates existing law. Supporters of abortion rights predict it will restrict access to birth control.

Those opposed to the law said it will make it easier for pharmacists or anyone who dispenses medicine to refuse to dispense a drug that they believe could result in the termination of a pregnancy.

Proponents said the law will prevent distribution of the abortion drug, RU-486, and not contraceptives. But you can't get RU-486 from a pharmacy.

"I think it was a deliberate attempt to confuse RU-486 with what's known as the morning after pill," said Planned Parenthood CEO Peter Brownlie. "I think it was deliberately confusing. RU-486 can only be provided by a physician who's going to administer it to a patient."

Brownlie fears that the law will be used to restrict birth control and the morning after pill.

"The beliefs of a pharmacist do not trump the beliefs of an individual woman," Brownlie said. "The woman has a right to act on her own beliefs."
    Yeah, so more Kansas fun.

I believe people should be able to work without fear of compromising their religious beliefs. I don't however, believe that religous beliefs should provide protection from doing the main point of a job.

Being unable to work Wednesday nights, because you have mass? Should be protected. Getting a job as a bus driver, then refusing to drive because you're Amish (for a completely rediculous example)? You're fired.

Should a doctor/pharmacist be allowed to refuse to provide one service out of many? That's a little tougher. If they were forced to refer to another provider that would handle it, I wouldn't have any problem in the world with this legislation. But if some rural doctor in Hicksville, KS decides he doesn't want to offer birth control, on the off chance it could cause an abortion, where are the Hicksville women supposed to go?

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'll support a pharmacist or doctor having the right to refuse providing birth control or abortives when a Hindi or Buddhist waitron has the right to refuse to serve meat.
    Trump is just Putin's little bitch.

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
    I'll support a pharmacist or doctor having the right to refuse providing birth control or abortives when a Hindi or Buddhist waitron has the right to refuse to serve meat.
    Next time I go into a vegetarian restaurant, I'll make sure to order a steak.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    Next time I go into a vegetarian restaurant, I'll make sure to order a steak.
    Add Muslim cab riders having a right to refuse to transport people carrying alcohol to the list, too.
    Trump is just Putin's little bitch.

That's *Miss* Manners to you. Ranger Wickett's Avatar
    Province
    Atlanta, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I was pro-abortion when I was a teen, because my family was.

I shifted to anti-abortion for a while, because I thought life needed to be protected, and I thought society might actually be willing to provide proper support for the poor children raised by parents who don't want them.

I shifted back to pro-abortion when I was convinced that abortion isn't an issue about the value of life; it's a poverty and economics issue. Maybe I just value the life of strangers less than I did before, but if even the mother of a child doesn't put value on the life of a fetus, why should I? There is too much debt burden and poverty in our country, and unwanted children just add to that.

New idea for a tax on the rich. For every 2 million dollars in income, you have to adopt one child. Adopt that, and maybe I'd go back to anti-abortion.
    Last edited by Ranger Wickett; May 17th, 2012 at 12:56 AM.

Creator of ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution. Adventure ten, Godmind, now available for Pathfinder and D&D 4th edition.

Creator of War of the Burning Sky. Available for D&D 3.5 and 4th editions.

Consider the long now. You live for decades. Enjoy today, but plan as if you're going to make it to a hundred.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    ... it's a poverty and economics issue.
    You ever read Freakanomics? It talks about abortion in one section, showing that legalizing abortion drops the crime rate by some very significant figure I can't remember right now. Basically, less unwanted kids = less criminals later in life. Who'd have thunk.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
    You ever read Freakanomics? It talks about abortion in one section, showing that legalizing abortion drops the crime rate by some very significant figure I can't remember right now. Basically, less unwanted kids = less criminals later in life. Who'd have thunk.
    It's always been my stance that wiping out life in the ghettos and hoods would reduce crime significantly.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

If you're a doctor in private practice, or a pharmacist who is self-employed, I have no problem with them dispensing or refusing to dispense whatever they want within the law. Some signage would be appreciated, so I don't waste time.

If they're employed by a hospital or Wal-Mart or whatever, then they should be following the policy of the employer. If they don't want to dispense X and their employer doesn't agree, they should find another place of employment.

The best thing about Kansas is Kansas City, Missouri.

Province
    Colorado Springs
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by scutisorex shrewlord View Post
    The best thing about Kansas is Kansas City, Missouri.
    Yes, this (though Topeka had a pretty happening gaming scene).
    If you're going to be an asshole, commit. Don't piss on me and tell me that it's raining.

Province
    Vienna
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
    Unlike the death penalty, this was one of the few statistically proven methods of reducing crime rates (one of the others was increasing the police force). It's cheap and works.

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneLigon View Post
    If you're a doctor in private practice, or a pharmacist who is self-employed, I have no problem with them dispensing or refusing to dispense whatever they want within the law. Some signage would be appreciated, so I don't waste time.

If they're employed by a hospital or Wal-Mart or whatever, then they should be following the policy of the employer. If they don't want to dispense X and their employer doesn't agree, they should find another place of employment.
    This.

Own/operate your own practice, and you can offer (and not offer) whatever services you want. Work for someone else, and play by their rules.

Fuck pharmacists, they'll dispense what they're told to dispense.

/flashback
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    Fuck pharmacists, they'll dispense what they're told to dispense.

/flashback
    die_kluge?