Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Province
    Yeah, right. You can't stalk me, yo!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Could be a reaction to Warmachine. Unlike GW rules, WM/H rules are written to be read literally, which is very nice in competitive play.
    Privateer Press is giving serious competition to Games Workshop right now. Their game outsells Warhammer Fantasy. I would not be surprised at all if this is a reaction to Warmachine.
    "You think Osama is regretting giving his personal information on the Playstation Network?" - Remathilis

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    How is Privateer Press doing across the pond?
    Pretty nicely, I think. I don't know much about how it's doing in Britain, but one of the players who's regarded as a top player in the world at the moment is british (Jamie P). Here in Norway it's not quite as big as either 40k or Fantasy, but unlike other non-GW games it has a presence across the nation of players who regard it as their main game.

One of the things thats bugged me with most Miniatures wargames, and Warhammer Fantasy/40k and WarmaHordes is this...

These games are all designed and balanced for the most part with casual play in mind. This unfortunately leads to very unusual issues when these rules and armybooks/codexes are used in tournaments...

I've felt for a long time that if a company wants to support tournament play, then they need to release a seperate rules set and army lists for JUST such games...
    An articulate soul trapped in inarticulate shell

All Your Swords
    A Modeling/Painting Project Blog

Province
    Yeah, right. You can't stalk me, yo!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by YourSwordisMine View Post
    These games are all designed and balanced for the most part with casual play in mind. This unfortunately leads to very unusual issues when these rules and armybooks/codexes are used in tournaments...
    I see no problems in Warmachine or Hordes tournaments. They do well. During Mark I, there were some serious issues with the Legion of Everblight, and balanced between Warmachine and Hordes. Now, in Mark II, it's a far more balanced playing field.

Having said that, for Privateer Press, there are specific tournament rules that address some of the issues that you bring up. You cannot just bring whatever you want to a tournament. You have to have a set list. And the vast majority of tournament play is based on scenario, which changes it significantly from casual play.

If Warhammer 40k begins really ramp up tournament play, I say more power to them. I think it's a great way to market a game. It creates buzz and community. And tournament play helps enrich the community in a self-perpetuating manner.

The issue with Games Workshop is not their tournaments or what have you, though. The issue is their price point and cost of entry into the game in the first place. I think at least lowering the barrier of entry in their new edition would do worlds of good for them.
    "You think Osama is regretting giving his personal information on the Playstation Network?" - Remathilis

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by YourSwordisMine View Post
    I've felt for a long time that if a company wants to support tournament play, then they need to release a seperate rules set and army lists for JUST such games...
    Like TB says, Privateer Press releases and updates their own set of tournament rules (called Steamroller). Combined with the literal way they write their rules it works very well.

GW on the other hand have dropped out of tournaments, at least according to what I hear. In Europe the guys that run and go to the ETC (European Team Championships) for Fantasy spends a lot of time making their own rules pack, complete with extra points to poor armies, limits on broken armies and even their own rules FAQ.