Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, Nürburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think it's more likley that the General giving the brief has more knowledge of snipers from movies than from reality.
    Yeah, if I were a betting man, I'd pick ignorance over any kind of coordinated media plan, too...
    PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

TARDIS: "Biting’s like kissing. Only there’s a winner."

My photographs: Cthulhu on vacation; Gencon 2012; Gencon 2008; Gencon 2007; ENnies 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Oh, man, I giggle when I read this and think of a sniper in a helicopter trying to shoot the pilot of a airplane when both aren't current parks stationary on the ground.

Come on... snipers in helicopters? That's security theater, not reality.
    If the heli-snipers don't work, they have Bruce Willis all lined up to jump-crash a car into them.
    Save time and see it my way.

Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, Nürburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    If the heli-snipers don't work, they have Bruce WillisMr Bean with a mop all lined up to jump-crash a car into them.
    FIFGB

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

TARDIS: "Biting’s like kissing. Only there’s a winner."

My photographs: Cthulhu on vacation; Gencon 2012; Gencon 2008; Gencon 2007; ENnies 2007

Province
    London, City of Empire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    Or maybe these stories are being publicised to distract from the real work being done to ensure security - probably a lot of un-sexy legwork.
    It did occur to me that given the availability of man-portable launchers, the actual number of missiles in play may be rather larger than just those at the fixed sites announced.

The helicopter snipers - I do wonder if that is what they're really for.

There's a couple of days of exercises in progress at the moment. I saw a couple of Chinooks flying low over the Olympic Park earlier this afternoon while I was in a supermarket car park.
    Why are there no other drawings in this book as magnificent and impressive as this drawing of the boobies? The reply is simple. I have tried. But with the others I have not been successful. When I made the drawing of the boobies I was carried beyond myself by the inspiring force of urgent necessity. - after Antoine de St. Exupery, Le Petit Prince

Province
    London, City of Empire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    If the heli-snipers don't work, they have Bruce Willis all lined up to jump-crash a car into them.
    What IS Jason Statham doing during the Olympics?
    Why are there no other drawings in this book as magnificent and impressive as this drawing of the boobies? The reply is simple. I have tried. But with the others I have not been successful. When I made the drawing of the boobies I was carried beyond myself by the inspiring force of urgent necessity. - after Antoine de St. Exupery, Le Petit Prince

Not running the private forum Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Goddamn it, you limey bastards. Just when Mistwell made this thread about Americans, as is fitting and proper, you manage to distract me by talking about British things again.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Macaw View Post
    What IS Jason Statham doing during the Olympics?
    Not sure. He may be plotting an assassination attempt against a doping tester, or he may be driving some hot female athlete to the arena. He's probably cranky as well.

Province
    Somewhere wet and muddy.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    Not sure. He may be plotting an assassination attempt against a doping tester, or he may be driving some hot female athlete to the arena. He's probably cranky as well.
    Probably arguing with Daniel Craig, who's part of the opening ceremony as Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    He's only cranky because he someone has to put a wind-up key in and twist every 30 minutes or he'll die.

Province
    London, City of Empire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, they got the whole military thing off to a good start by making a creditable attempt to ram the Navy's largest vessel into the Thames Barrier. Check the wing mirrors are still there!

HMS Ocean is doing a fair old speed as it goes through there. I'm assuming there is some good reason for this, given that they slow down almost immediately they are through. You'd expect it to be easier to maneuvre at a lower speed, so why so fast?

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio

Ignore User
    You have to keep the boat above its stall speed or you get flow separation at the control surfaces and lose control authority.

Spoiler:

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Not running the private forum Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, they got the whole military thing off to a good start by making a creditable attempt to ram the Navy's largest vessel into the Thames Barrier. Check the wing mirrors are still there!

HMS Ocean is doing a fair old speed as it goes through there. I'm assuming there is some good reason for this, given that they slow down almost immediately they are through. You'd expect it to be easier to maneuvre at a lower speed, so why so fast?
    The slowdown was the same slowdown effected by the driver who almost sideswipes you because they're texting and who is now scared shitless so they slow down abruptly, causing even more traffic disruption. Matter of fact, the initial speed is likely due to the same cause -- the tugboat pilots were probably texting or playing Angry Birds Space.

Province
    London, City of Empire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I drove past the Lexington Building twice today whilst taking my son to his grandparents for the weekend. Supposedly there was going to be some sort of exercise going on, so I had meant to check if anythign was visible. Unfortunately, on the way down I was distracted by the middle aged black woman with enormous hair who kept drifting her Nissan Micra in and out of lane and braking unexpectedly, and failed to look over at the water tower. On the way back, though, I thought I might have seen a couple of people standing up there. Exciting, eh?

I drove past the Lexington Building twice today whilst taking my son to his grandparents for the weekend. Supposedly there was going to be some sort of exercise going on, so I had meant to check if anythign was visible. Unfortunately, on the way down I was distracted by the middle aged black woman with enormous hair who kept drifting her Nissan Micra in and out of lane and braking unexpectedly, and failed to look over at the water tower. On the way back, though, I thought I might have seen a couple of people standing up there. Exciting, eh?
    The target is always the last to know ...