Thread: MASS EFFECT 3 PLAYTHROUGH WITH SPOILERS!

let them eat arugula! Vigilance's Avatar
    Province
    Tampa, Florida
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    While at the same time saying you are a dedicated purchaser of Bioware games. And claimed that games are now a service. You'll have to excuse the reading between the lines because that can be interpreted as they OWE you something because of your continued patronage.
    Right, because imagining I said things I never said makes YOU smart. Whatever.

Nor did I say you said those things.
    No, but you DID say I said they owe me something, which I never said. So maybe you stop being a pedantic fucktard.

Yup, and it's still a meh analogy. Perhaps it was the patting on the back you gave yourself in the same post for what you thought was terrific stuff that made it worse.
    But, it has the advantage of being something I actually said.

To whit: I enjoyed the meal, but the desert sucked.

Someone MIGHT eat somewhere 3 times (see the number I played ME 3) 3 times if the meal was great, but they'd still be within their rights to remind you that the desert sucked.

I never even implied that. What I actually said is you have the right to gripe. You also added a bunch of crap in your post about me calling you a bad person and such. Your should check your persecution complex at the door.
    Please show me ONE instance where I said "JC called me a bad person".

Maybe you need to heal yourself. Sensitive prick.
    Yup, I've said as much a whole bunch of times.

Stop projecting, it points out your weaknesses.

Also, you have been attributing insults said by the media and others to me when I never said those things. Heal thyself, doctor.
    No, I was responding to you.

I never said BW owed me shit.

I never patted myself on the back either.

So please, continue to assert that *I* am the one making wild accusations.
    Last edited by Vigilance; April 3rd, 2012 at 01:44 AM.

Province
    Tampa, Florida
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    A) Shepard is a cyborg.
    B) No one except Shepard and Legion are strong enough to weild the Widow Anti-Material rfle. In fact Shepard is the only non-Geth that can weild it, as per canon since it designed by Geth, for Geth and Geth are far stronger than any of the other races.

I put forward that "B" clearly indicates Shepard exceeds human norms. "Super" may be stretching it, but Shep is also clearly capable of surviving a full frontal from a Reaper anti-vehicular canon... so... I'm sticking with Shep being a Super Cyborg.
    Note: This weapon is exclusive to Shepard. No squadmate may choose to use it.
    This is from the ME 2 wiki.

It certainly couldnt be because Shepard is stronger, as a cyborg. Nope. It must be that the entire trilogy is IN HIS MIND.

I mean, why stop at starchild in ME 3? Why not say that the entire series is a methamphetamine induced hallucination of Conrad Verner, who is a coke head in the 20th century?

That has almost as much to do with the games as IT.

Province
    100 Hurricane Swamp
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Also, I liked the ending of Contact as well.
    This just proves how badwrong you are!

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Also if you take the Starbrat at face value the Reapers becoming Organic mean they'd have to reap themselves since they weren't at all in anyway shape or form organic before hand...
    The Reapers are made from organic material Reaped from the civilisations they destroy, how can say they are not an organic synthetic hybrid?

First line of their Wiki entry.
    The Reapers, known by the geth as the Old Machines, are a highly advanced machine race of synthetic/organic starships.

Personally I suspect that is what the Citadel is doing when it is beaming up Humans from Earth, I suspect it was in the process of making a new Reaper.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; April 3rd, 2012 at 08:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I must not fear IT. IT is the mind-killer. IT is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face IT. I will permit IT to pass over me and through me. And when IT has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see IT's path. Where IT has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You keep arguing against IT as a whole and ducking my direct questions. This is how I know you aren't a thinker. Locked in to one unthinking path based on things not shown.

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilance View Post
    Right, because imagining I said things I never said makes YOU smart. Whatever.
    Never said I was smart. But I am at times. Excellent reading between the lines. Gold star!

No, but you DID say I said they owe me something, which I never said. So maybe you stop being a pedantic fucktard.
    You do, I read between the lines and read the service contract you signed with Bioware.

But, it has the advantage of being something I actually said.
    Said ... meant ... feh. You live in a world where only what people say is how they feel. It's adorable.

Please show me ONE instance where I said "JC called me a bad person".
    Link.

Looking again, if not me then someone is calling Vigilance a bad person and he's not gonna take it anymore. Cuz he's responding as if someone called him one.

Maybe you need to heal yourself. Sensitive prick.
    Petty name calling: The sign that someone has touched a nerve.

I never said BW owed me shit.
    It was in your crazy, adorable eyes.

I never patted myself on the back either.
    Of course YOU aren't going to see. You're the one doing it.

So please, continue to assert that *I* am the one making wild accusations.
    I will. Be only because it's partially true and amuses me.

Province
    100 Hurricane Swamp
    Oratio

Ignore User
    You keep arguing against IT as a whole and ducking my direct questions.
    Is that why I've been answering line by line? Because it's an argument against the whole?

On the whole, IT sounds good. When the individual points are looked at they hold no water.

And if I've missed a particular question, go ahead and readress it.

Like these that you keep skipping:

How do you explain that no other victims of Indoc experience vivid hallucinations?

How do explain that Shepard suffers no canon symptoms of Indoc aside from headaches (under direct Reaper presence)?

How do explain that Shepard experiences vivid hallucinations right from the begining, if that is supposed to be the "begining" of the Indoc?

How do you explain the inconsistency of this: If the Star Child and the entire Crucible are simply a hallucination, why bother? If Shepard is lying in rubble on earth dying, why bother with the Crucible hallucination at all? It serves no purpose. If in fact Shepard is dying (why else would Harbinger fly off?) then what threat is being averted via the hallucination?

This is how I know you aren't a thinker. Locked in to one unthinking path based on things not shown.
    Except I'm not 'locked on one path". I weighed IT and found it unsatisfactory just as I've found the alternatives unsatisfactory.

Province
    Just south of Detroit
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I replayed the game and finished last night, picked a different ending from my first play-through and... The ending still isn't as bad as people are making it out to be.

I suspect folks are largely reacting to the tempo of the end-run, which starts to build and then pauses, and rebuilds again, climaxes before you realize it, and then doesn't provide you with a final big fight against some big bad (i.e. Saren's autonomous implants in ME or the much maligned terminator-reaper in ME2). Which is to say, the beats are off to the music you typically expect from stories like these.

Once you get to the Citadel, I think you're already in denouement territory. It's mostly just exposition from there. And all the bitching about the "star-child" and the "Normandy did what!?!" and the "My Shepard would never do that" are all just attempts by the brain to rationalize and identify what feels wrong based on something which is otherwise difficult to describe.

I don't think the ending is bad, but it certainly isn't brilliant, and anything less than brilliant is viewed as failure, because--damn, the Mass Effect story, as a mish-mash of every sci-fi plot ever written, foibles and all, is pretty damn awesome. For the ending not to be mind-blowingly awesome as well is, well, a let-down.

As an aside, some common complaints are potentially justifiable in-game, if you're willing to think about them a bit. The creator of the reapers wasn't god, so don't give it god-like expectations--it can be "wrong", for example, when it talks about organics and synthetics always eventually turning on each other. The destruction of the mass effect relays was clearly an engineered outcome, so no necessary reprise of the bataarian relay making everything moot. There was definitely enough time for Joker to pick up the crew on Earth. Once the arms on the Citadel started opening for the Crucible to dock, there was no reason to think Shepard wouldn't need a pickup soon, so for someone to think that it'd be a good idea to get the crew on board the Normandy in case they're necessary isn't unreasonable. And when contact with Shepard gets lost, I could see Hackett sending the Normandy to try to warn the rest of the galaxy that their Crucible plan didn't work.

I've never been a big fan of the "where are they now" endings common to many RPGs, so not to see what happens afterward is no great loss to me, and there was certainly enough closure provided in the run-up to the end for my satisfaction. This has been, after all, Shepard's story, and with Shepard potentially dead, I don't really need to see more. The cutscene of the Normandy crashlanding and some of the crew emerging, or the final scene with the storyteller and child, they just say to me that life goes on.

All in all, a great game. It's got problems, but so what, what doesn't? None of the issues have been showstoppers to me. IMHO, all the kvetching about how horrible the ending is has been way overhyped. As the old Benjamin Disraeli quote goes: "It is easier to be critical than to be correct."
    Last edited by Vurt; April 3rd, 2012 at 02:37 PM.

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    As always, it's important to note that adding "the possibilities exists along with proof" to everything described in the versions of the game I experienced.

Is that why I've been answering line by line? Because it's an argument against the whole?
    I really don't know why you bother if you aren't going to allow for the possibility to exist. You are refuting the proof only by adding things that haven't been shown. Trying to disprove proof with nothingness doesn't disprove anything. What it does prove is that one is locked into the idea that it's just crap writing and will do anything to justify it.

On the whole, IT sounds good. When the individual points are looked at they hold no water.
    When your attempts to disprove actually hold water I'll listen. They haven't so far. Just look at your justification of the kid and those ignoring him. The possibility exists in that scene that no one but Shepard can see him. There is very specific framing that suggests this. Can it ALSO not be true? Yes. But it also could. And that's what I am saying and you aren't. Denial that it could be a possibility is the product of a closed mind.

For example, the example you brought up about the special gun only Shepard can use being a good example of her cyborgy specialness. That was good. I like that the possibility exists that certain things COULD be explained by that. Hadn't thought about that before.

So thanks!

And if I've missed a particular question, go ahead and readress it.
    Perhaps I will along the way.

How do you explain that no other victims of Indoc experience vivid hallucinations?
    I don't need to. We don't get to play the game from one character's perspective other than Shepard's.

How do you prove they don't?

How do explain that Shepard suffers no canon symptoms of Indoc aside from headaches (under direct Reaper presence)?
    Shepard does. You just aren't seeing it even when presented with direct evidence. See the video I posted, most of it is right there.

How do explain that Shepard experiences vivid hallucinations right from the begining, if that is supposed to be the "begining" of the Indoc?
    I think you need to reword this question for it to make sense.

How do you explain the inconsistency of this: If the Star Child and the entire Crucible are simply a hallucination, why bother?
    Fighting and winning the mental battle against the Reapers is the only thing Shepard has yet to defeat the Reapers at. Shepard has overcome every other challenge and done exactly what other cycles couldn't do in uniting almost everyone against the Reapers. All that's left is to avoid becoming what TIM couldn't be anymore as the sleeper agent who betrays the united effort. Once Shepard does that, the story is over. All obstacles have been conquered. Victory has been set up by Shepard.

This possibility exists. Some people may not like it. I get that. I'd like more, too. I'm also cool with it ending right there.

If Shepard is lying in rubble on earth dying, why bother with the Crucible hallucination at all? It serves no purpose. If in fact Shepard is dying (why else would Harbinger fly off?) then what threat is being averted via the hallucination?
    As stated many times, the Reapers need Shepard to be their agent. Shepard is the one who can undermine everything that has happened so far as she is completely trusted by nearly everyone.

Also, I don't believe Shepard is dying during those scenes but her body has certainly been compromised. That and now is the critical moment where the Reapers need Shepard to finally be indoctrinated. Shepard isn't up to the point where the charge on the beam happens. Shepard has been passively fighting the effects of indoctrination and so far is holding firm but still not winning.

Harbinger flies off because now is the final assault on Shepard's mind. The big push for indoctrination has begun and now is their opportunity when Shepard is at her weakest. Slipping in and out of consciousness is the perfect time to strike. that along with being in such close proximity to so much Reaper stuff. An attack on all fronts.

Except I'm not 'locked on one path". I weighed IT and found it unsatisfactory just as I've found the alternatives unsatisfactory.
    No, you haven't remotely explored situations as if the possibility existed. You are in shoot-down mode, that's assuming there are multiple modes available to switch to. That's where the lack of thinking comes in.

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vurt View Post
    I replayed the game and finished last night, picked a different ending from my first play-through and...

>snip<
    I approve of everything in this post. Well said.

Province
    Tampa, Florida
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vurt View Post
    I replayed the game and finished last night, picked a different ending from my first play-through and... The ending still isn't as bad as people are making it out to be.
    This.

That said, I think if they tweaked it, it could be much better, so I'm in favor of them taking another run at it.

It could work. The "second ending" of Fallout 3 was much better imo.

Province
    Tampa, Florida
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Petty name calling: The sign that someone has touched a nerve.
    No, I was posting drunk. Get it right!

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    For those hoping for changes to the ending (that BW never promised, just clarifications) there is a post on the BW forums about an article from EA Latin America in Mexico saying there will be no DLC with a different ending. As with all rumors such as this, I have no idea if this would apply to other regions or is even true.

For those hoping for changes to the ending (that BW never promised, just clarifications) there is a post on the BW forums about an article from EA Latin America in Mexico saying there will be no DLC with a different ending. As with all rumors such as this, I have no idea if this would apply to other regions or is even true.
    I would prefer to hear about DLCs that are actually coming or at least announced.

I may be unhappy with the ending, but something like retaking whatstheplanetfromthecriminaloverloardAsariagain I wouldn't mind seeing either.

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    I would prefer to hear about DLCs that are actually coming or at least announced.
    Well, this is all you are getting for the moment.

When real announcements from Bioware come out about definite releases I'm sure many folks will be all over it.

• Page 29 of 58 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast