Thread: Apparently, GADOR has discovered time travel.

Official Topic Approver COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Strithe's Avatar
    Province
    3rd circle of hell
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User

Apparently, GADOR has discovered time travel.

I grab the mail this morning at the shop, and I discover I've gotten a notice from the Georgia Department of Revenue that my company owes back sales tax for December of 2010. Slight problem, said company didn't exist until April 2011, and didn't have an account with GADOR (which triggers the mandate to file) until June. Want to place bets I get notices for January-through June?

This is almost as much fun as when the IRS tried to seize my mother's house, for $300,000 in taxes owed for money my dad managed to earn two years after he died. Apparently even the fact that the IRS documents all listed my dad's name as "Deceased," didn't alert them to their mistake.

Fascinating COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Mustrum_Ridcully's Avatar
    Province
    Oldenburg
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Strithe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I grab the mail this morning at the shop, and I discover I've gotten a notice from the Georgia Department of Revenue that my company owes back sales tax for December of 2010. Slight problem, said company didn't exist until April 2011, and didn't have an account with GADOR (which triggers the mandate to file) until June. Want to place bets I get notices for January-through June?

This is almost as much fun as when the IRS tried to seize my mother's house, for $300,000 in taxes owed for money my dad managed to earn two years after he died. Apparently even the fact that the IRS documents all listed my dad's name as "Deceased," didn't alert them to their mistake.
    He could have gotten better?

minor functionary COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Rusty Halo's Avatar
    Province
    Minnesota
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    At first glance, I read the thread title as time-travelling "GAYDAR" -- and I was trying to picture a Neanderthal sporting nicely-tailored furs.

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post
    At first glance, I read the thread title as time-travelling "GAYDAR" -- and I was trying to picture a Neanderthal sporting nicely-tailored furs.
    I was gonna post, "I thought GAYDAR only discovers gays?", but you beat me to the punch.
    Spoiler Alert!

Not the title you're looking for. COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Advocatus Diaboli's Avatar
    Province
    San Antonio, TX
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Dead people have been voting for years. Having them pay taxes is just the next logical step.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

meet you in hell COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Feanor's Avatar
    Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Dead people have been voting for years. Having them pay taxes is just the next logical step.
    we do not condone representation without taxation!

Hulk not smash...LOVE! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Queenie's Avatar
    Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Wow, that's a huge mess, eh?
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree... it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Albert Einstein

Ruby Selari Molly

Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    "Well, if you had saved that money instead of spending it, you could have used it to pay the taxes you owe." ---IRS Explanation
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

Province
    3rd circle of hell
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
    Wow, that's a huge mess, eh?
    The GADOR letter? Not really, it's on sales tax, and the amount they're demanding is relatively trivial.

The IRS thing was cleared up after a couple of years, and didn't progress much beyond threatening letters & a tax lein. Once we showed them the right paperwork they backed off... sort of. It took about two years until they purged it from the computer system: the information seemed to shuttle back & forth between different IRS centers. Mom would get a letter, and then have to spend a couple of hours on phone calls & copying paperwork & paying for registered letters, etc.

Of course, that first letter was a nice half-day panic attack.

Province
    3rd circle of hell
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post

Province
    3rd circle of hell
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarion'sCousin View Post
    "Well, if you had saved that money instead of spending it, you could have used it to pay the taxes you owe." ---IRS Explanation
    The more frightening actual explanation was along the lines of "Yeah, we know it's fucked, but the computer says you owe & it's up to you to prove otherwise."

It's kind of the same problem my grandmother has with Medicare: about a year ago their computer system changed her birthdate, and now she gets denied coverage periodically because they think she's trying to commit fraud. We've submitted documents to Medicare, but their attitude is "Look, our computer just does that. Suck it." I guess the solution for us is to commit actual fraud & alter her birth certificate & photo ID so they match the Medicare records.

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Well, it's certainly not to spend money getting the government better computer systems.

(Though, looking at the history of this at the FAA, that's a two-edged sword that will cut your head off...everybody loves to force the air traffic controllers to use fancy new systems without ever actually taking into consideration what they say they actually need.)

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011