Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

GenCon Virginity

Crossposting for traffic

So, I need to try and pop that cherry. This year for a number of reasons looks like a good time to do it.

I think I'm understanding that hotel booking @ convention rates opens the 29th same day as ticket sales.

I think I'm understanding that most of what I'm seeing bandied about is group rates (i.e. per-head assuming x people occupancy) - any single rates anywhere decent?

I think I'm understanding that the Embassy Suites is the place to be, but anything else close/workable?

I think I'm understanding that you buy a GenCon ticket for whatever days, and then later you sign up for specific games/events per your preferences and based on availability.

Is anything radically wrong with this, apart from anything to do with me personally?

Are people gonna wear shirts or nametags that let us know who they are on the forums? I know like maybe five real person names for y'all, and faces likely fewer than that. Add to that I'm terrible with faces and names, and I'll probably be cozying up to the first cheeto-stained lead singer of Lich King I find, or standing in line for suckerpunches from CMG Mark.
    Save time and see it my way.

eats shoots and leaves COMMUNITY SUPPORTER diaglo's Avatar
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Gen Con badge you get 2 choices. 4 day badge or buy one each fucking day by standing in a long ass line wasting 2.5 hours per day.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think I'm understanding that hotel booking @ convention rates opens the 29th same day as ticket sales.
    Correct. When you complete your GenCon registration, you'll get a code you can use to get a discounted rate at one of the hotels. Many people stay in a room with 2 beds, and cram 4 people into the room.

I think I'm understanding that the Embassy Suites is the place to be, but anything else close/workable?
    Pretty much anything is workable, but we stay at the ES every year. It's a pretty nice hotel, but more importantly, it's a central hub for CMers. I've joined in countless pickup/board games just by being in the ES lobby.

I think I'm understanding that you buy a GenCon ticket for whatever days, and then later you sign up for specific games/events per your preferences and based on availability.
    You'll want to sign up for some things early (like True Dungeon, if you're into that sort of thing). Honestly though, I have a great time every year without participating in a single official game. It's easy to book 2-3 games/day with awesome people just by coordinating on CM/AoR.

Are people gonna wear shirts or nametags that let us know who they are on the forums? I know like maybe five real person names for y'all, and faces likely fewer than that. Add to that I'm terrible with faces and names, and I'll probably be cozying up to the first cheeto-stained lead singer of Lich King I find, or standing in line for suckerpunches from CMG Mark.
    The Wednesday night party has traditionally served this purpose. We do nametags then.

Things are coming together for this to be MY FIRST TIME at GenCon too!

PWD, I am told that if you want a room at the Embassy Suites, you need to be hovering over your computer at 12:00n EST on Tuesday, January 29th, ready to book a room the moment they make them available. They're all booked inside 15 minutes or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post
    PWD, I am told that if you want a room at the Embassy Suites, you need to be hovering over your computer at 12:00n EST on Tuesday, January 29th, ready to book a room the moment they make them available. They're all booked inside 15 minutes or so.
    That plus my general confusion is where I get my sense of impending doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Nareau View Post
    Correct. When you complete your GenCon registration, you'll get a code you can use to get a discounted rate at one of the hotels. Many people stay in a room with 2 beds, and cram 4 people into the room.

Pretty much anything is workable, but we stay at the ES every year. It's a pretty nice hotel, but more importantly, it's a central hub for CMers. I've joined in countless pickup/board games just by being in the ES lobby.

You'll want to sign up for some things early (like True Dungeon, if you're into that sort of thing). Honestly though, I have a great time every year without participating in a single official game. It's easy to book 2-3 games/day with awesome people just by coordinating on CM/AoR.

The Wednesday night party has traditionally served this purpose. We do nametags then.
    Gracias, all helpful to me.

Actually, tickets go on sale a few days before hotel room booking. That way you can have the code to enter.

As for the hotel, if you're nervous about booking it, you can always get a room with someone who is doing the booking. They'll have to put down a CC but you can just pay your share at the hotel during Gen Con. Up until last year, we always had 6 people in a room. That really cut down on costs.

I think I'm understanding that most of what I'm seeing bandied about is group rates (i.e. per-head assuming x people occupancy) - any single rates anywhere decent?
    Not if you want a close room. Anything that's within reasonable walking distance is going to cost you at least $100/night (this is an estimate but I don't doubt it's close to accurate).
    If you participate in my Daily Trivia thread, do not look for the answer elsewhere and post it.

ENnie Awards PR Coordinator

$200 a night doesn't bother me, if it gets me a solo room and I can walk around in my gitch and scratch and belch.

I should read more and set my expectations better, it seems. First read really made it seem like $250 a night was to share a 4-way room (ugh). I couldn't fathom how the average gamer who can't afford soap managed.

Unless that's why they can't afford soap...

eats shoots and leaves COMMUNITY SUPPORTER diaglo's Avatar
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    most of the gamers basically want to spend < $250 total for themselves for the whole 4 nights.

if you are willing to pay $200 per night then you will have no problem finding your own space even on the day of the convention.

last year, JoeBlank and I showed up to share with Franks and VK but went to the wrong Marriott. they had rooms available at $200 per night for each of us.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

$200 a night doesn't bother me, if it gets me a solo room and I can walk around in my gitch and scratch and belch.

I should read more and set my expectations better, it seems. First read really made it seem like $250 a night was to share a 4-way room (ugh). I couldn't fathom how the average gamer who can't afford soap managed.

Well if you're going to get your own room, you don't have to book it through Gen Con.

Granted, they will probably have a better rate through Gen Con booking, but here's a Hotels.com search of hotels close to the convention center: http://www.hotels.com/search.do?dest...GEOCODE%3AHIGH
    If you participate in my Daily Trivia thread, do not look for the answer elsewhere and post it.

I'm rusty at the whole Con thing. (Rumor Control: No, I'm not Rusty, I'm rusty)

Last one I was at was Lotusphere at WDW(Orlando) around 2000, and there were massive feeding frenzies for the hotel rates, exclusive reserves on the room blocks for the hotels, the whole nine yards... so if you weren't booking through the con systems you weren't getting rooms onsite. Hotels at the con rate were still in the $350 a night range if you were lucky.

With everyone talking about hotel booking being difficult, I was anticipating the same kind of nightmare for this.

BTW, looking again at the search, I can tell you that Gen Con booking would have better rates. For example, the Embassy on Hotels.com is listed at $349. I can't see the Gen Con rate being anything more than $175 or $180.

Quote Originally Posted by reveal View Post
    BTW, looking again at the search, I can tell you that Gen Con booking would have better rates. For example, the Embassy on Hotels.com is listed at $349. I can't see the Gen Con rate being anything more than $175 or $180.
    Even non-con bookings @ the Hyatt Regency are 177. I like how if you expand the date range you can see that the ES is bumping rates from 180/night to 350/night in the range of the con.

Here are the Con rates:
    http://www.gencon.com/2012/indy/cs/a...amenities.aspx

Note they don't include the 17% occupancy tax, nor do they include parking fees ($20/day), or fees for having more people in the room. At the ES, every person past the first 2 incurs an additional $20/night fee.

A room at the ES costs $205 (plus tax).

Quote Originally Posted by Nareau View Post
    Here are the Con rates:
    http://www.gencon.com/2012/indy/cs/a...amenities.aspx

Note they don't include the 17% occupancy tax, nor do they include parking fees ($20/day), or fees for having more people in the room. At the ES, every person past the first 2 incurs an additional $20/night fee.

A room at the ES costs $205 (plus tax).
    Wow. ES has really raised their rates. I don't blame them, though. It really does seem like the "hotel to be at" during Gen Con.