Thread: looking for some trivia, 1977 Arkansas orange bowl

looking for some trivia, 1977 Arkansas orange bowl

I ran into a vague allusion to an event the other day which has piqued my interest. My google fu has given me little help, nor has sports loving hubby, so I turn to CM....

What I know is that prior to the 1977 Orange Bowl, Lou Holtz then the coach of Arkansas, suspended three "key" offensive players for disciplinary reasons. at least 12 other players threatened to walk out over it, and Holtz was annoyed that the decision fell to him in the first place because the incident in question took place in a dorm, not when they were playing, practicing etc. Arkansas won anyway.

Does anyone know anything more about this event, ie what the incident was, how any other disciplinary action panned out, how Arkansas fans veiw it in retrospect?
    It was just like that scene in Die Hard but with freezer paper instead of negotiable bearer bonds....

Province
    Columbus, OH
    Oratio

Ignore User
    As an aside, I learned that typing www.secsports.com will get me to the SEC webpage; typing www.sexsports.com will get me a conversation with my supervisor.

Edit: Did you mean the 1978 Orange Bowl?

Edited edit: Yeah, 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Sun-Times
    And Holtz had a knack for being in the right place at the right time. At Arkansas in 1977 he had to suspend three star players for a crime that still dares not speak its name. Holtz writes, "It took a half hour before I got the full story. I was floored." It involved a girl who wanted action taken, but no one in authority wanted to press charges.

"The state of Arkansas went into an uproar when the news broke" -- the news of the suspensions, that is. Holtz himself was dragged into court; but the young attorney general of Arkansas, Bill Clinton, defended him. The rest, as they say, is history. Arkansas won its bowl game without the suspended players and Holtz gained a reputation for doing the right thing.
    Last edited by Gwydion; September 12th, 2006 at 06:12 PM.
    "A foolish man may be known by six things: Anger without cause, speech without profit, change without progress, inquiry without object, putting trust in a stranger, and mistaking foes for friends. - Arabic proverb

"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere, et cum illi pueri dicerent: Σίβυλλα τί θέλεις; respondebat illa: ἀποθανεῖν θέλω." - Petronius Arbiter

Province
    Columbus, OH
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by St Petersburg Times
    When Holtz suspended Razorback runners Ben Cowins and Michael Forrest and receiver Donny Bobo "it virtually won the game for them," said Grant Teaff, the former Baylor coach and now executive director of the American Football Coaches Association. "Players know where the trouble is. If a coach comes in and does what's best for the team, they understand that."
    Now you've got me curious as well!
    "A foolish man may be known by six things: Anger without cause, speech without profit, change without progress, inquiry without object, putting trust in a stranger, and mistaking foes for friends. - Arabic proverb

"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere, et cum illi pueri dicerent: Σίβυλλα τί θέλεις; respondebat illa: ἀποθανεῖν θέλω." - Petronius Arbiter

Province
    Columbus, OH
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey Williams
    Hopefully, Lou Holtz, coach of the University of Arkansas, will stick to his guns and forbid three of his starters from playing against Oklahoma. It would be a valuable example for coaches, college officials and team owners throughout the country.

Holtz suspended his players for a serious offense he will not name, although he is fully supported by the university administration.

It has become a sticky situation because the three players are black, and the American Civil Liberties Union has threatened to intervene legally on their behalf. Nine other players threatened for a time to "with hold their participation" but finally agreed to play when an attorney for the suspended athletes "released them from their commitment."

The syndicated news services rather bluntly point out that a university co-ed was raped a few days before the suspensions but refuses to swear out a warrant. This implies that the coaches and reporters are convinced of guilt but lack legal grounds for indictment.

The players assert that until there is a formal complaint, arrest and conviction, their civil rights are infringed.
    Hrm. Getting closer. I know no charges were ever filed, and the university and Holtz never discussed the details.

Province
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion
    Hrm. Getting closer. I know no charges were ever filed, and the university and Holtz never discussed the details.
    I'll ask my BIL. UofA is his alma mater. He's a huge Razorback fan. He might know.

Thanks Gwy, that fills out a lot of the implications. I'm not particularly suprized criminal charges weren't filed - 29 years is an eternity in the way rape accusations are viewed, esp against "star" college athletes.
    It was just like that scene in Die Hard but with freezer paper instead of negotiable bearer bonds....

Province
    Columbus, OH
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kahuna burger
    Thanks Gwy, that fills out a lot of the implications. I'm not particularly suprized criminal charges weren't filed - 29 years is an eternity in the way rape accusations are viewed, esp against "star" college athletes.
    I very much think that the girl was white. I can't swear to it, but something about the comments made make me think it.

d_k, that would be awesome! I'm a sucker for mysteries.