Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Behold! I am the toughest guy around!

Talking Behold! I am the toughest guy around!

Read it and weep, suckas.
    No football player who ever lived, no wrestler, no superman, no nobody, is tougher than Yours Truly, the One and Only, the Original Edena_of_Neith! (copyright 1977.)

You know that nuclear war film Threads? How Sheffield is blown to smithereens by that 1 megaton airburst?
    That was an effort to demonstrate a blast wave with an overpressure of around 20 to 100 pounds per square inch, depending on proximity to the blast. (At 23 pounds per square inch, steel reinforced concrete is pulverized.)
    Assuming a typical human presents 5 square feet to the oncoming blast, the force applied against a human would be 144 (square inches in a square foot) x 5 (5 square feet exposed) x 20 to 100 (20 to 100 pounds per square inch of overpressure)
    Or, 720 pounds x 5 x (20 to 100.)
    Or, around 30,000 to 150,000 pounds of force (15 to 75 tons of force) against that person.

Well, I was in a 100 mile per hour head on with a semi, going from 65 forward to 30 backward.
    That put several hundred gravities on my body (according to every physics person I've ever asked.)
    I weighted 180 pounds at the time. 100 gravities would mean I weighted 18,000 pounds, or 9 tons. Several hundred gravities ... assuming 300 gravities, I suddenly weighted 27 tons.

So, the nuclear blast that utterly destroyed Sheffield and pulverized even the toughest concrete and steel would have exerted 15 to 75 tons of force.
    I sustained around 27 tons of force myself in that accident.

And I'm still around to talk about it, and to annoy you.

I'm the Toughest Guy around. I survive forces equivalent to thermonuclear blast waves close to ground zero!
    Read it and weep! Rocky, eat your heart out. Who's the fool now, Mr T?

Province
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Funny, I always thought you were a chick.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    You aren't the toughest guy around.

You rolled a natural 20 on your toughness (impact-semi-truck 1d20+10 bonus for being in a safe car) save and maybe a 1 on your reflex (avoiding semitrucks) save.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Oh Edena.... Never change, man. Never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Math is hard.

Edit: At 100 gravities, you would be accelerated to 980 meters per second in one second. This is equivalent to 3215 feet per second, or roughly the muzzle velocity of a round fired from an M16. There's zero chance of surviving that, which means you need to fire whichever physics people told you your crash was in a 100's of gravities.

A crash that causes a 100 mph gross change in direction is not instantaneous, and that reverse would take place over around a tenth to a quarter of a second at the fastest. At the upper end of that (.1 second) it's about 46g average, which would roughly translate to about 11-12 psi. Considering most head-on's at a 100 mph differential speed are fatal, you were lucky, and it shows that a force twice that (~20 psi) is definitely fatal. Odds are it was less than 11 psi, as a quarter second reverse only clocks in at 18g and 4.5 psi.
    Last edited by Ovinomancer; January 23rd, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Colorado Springs
    Oratio

Ignore User
    You got nothing on Jeff Wilder.
    If you're going to be an asshole, commit. Don't piss on me and tell me that it's raining.

What a weekend! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Pompous Magnus's Avatar
    Province
    The People's Gaypublic of Drugifornia
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So I assume you sustained massive head trauma? It's all coming together now.
    The words "douche" and "bag" have never coupled as passionately as they did in the person of my thirteen-year-old self.
    -Rob Sheffield

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Magnus View Post
    So I assume you sustained massive head trauma? It's all coming together now.
    No no no. It's all falling apart. That's the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Math is hard.

Edit: At 100 gravities, you would be accelerated to 980 meters per second in one second. This is equivalent to 3215 feet per second, or roughly the muzzle velocity of a round fired from an M16. There's zero chance of surviving that, which means you need to fire whichever physics people told you your crash was in a 100's of gravities.

A crash that causes a 100 mph gross change in direction is not instantaneous, and that reverse would take place over around a tenth to a quarter of a second at the fastest. At the upper end of that (.1 second) it's about 46g average, which would roughly translate to about 11-12 psi. Considering most head-on's at a 100 mph differential speed are fatal, you were lucky, and it shows that a force twice that (~20 psi) is definitely fatal. Odds are it was less than 11 psi, as a quarter second reverse only clocks in at 18g and 4.5 psi.
    AHA!
    For the disbeliever, here is the proof, that truly, Edena_of_Neith is the Man of Steel!

Your estimates range from 4.5 psi to 11-12 psi.
    At 5 psi, that house in the desert was blown to smithereens in an instant (see the nuclear test footage.)
    At 11-12 psi, the scene resembles the blast in Terminator 2. Mighty buildings shatter, steel beams fly through the air, everything above ground is leveled.

AND ...

We were then hit from behind, by a car going *forward* at 60 miles per hour as we were sailing backward at 30 mph, so I received a SECOND titanic blow.

Enough force to throw shatter it's steel moorings, and throw a car engine 60 feet through the air.
    Enough force to shatter a car frame, shear it in half, send the two halves spinning in opposite directions.
    Enough force to snap solid steel cables in half.

I survived it all (well, ok, after slowly and painfully dying for 2 days, I was saved by surgery, but that doesn't count. I did survive the initial hits.)

Accept no substitutes. There is only one original, and he's me. Accept only the one and true Edena_of_Neith, who withstands nuclear level blasts and laughs at them!

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Edena_of_Neith View Post
    And I'm still around to talk about it, and to annoy you.
    Good to see you survived. Keep doing that.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    AHA!
    For the disbeliever, here is the proof, that truly, Edena_of_Neith is the Man of Steel!

Your estimates range from 4.5 psi to 11-12 psi.
    At 5 psi, that house in the desert was blown to smithereens in an instant (see the nuclear test footage.)
    At 11-12 psi, the scene resembles the blast in Terminator 2. Mighty buildings shatter, steel beams fly through the air, everything above ground is leveled.

AND ...

We were then hit from behind, by a car going *forward* at 60 miles per hour as we were sailing backward at 30 mph, so I received a SECOND titanic blow.

Enough force to throw shatter it's steel moorings, and throw a car engine 60 feet through the air.
    Enough force to shatter a car frame, shear it in half, send the two halves spinning in opposite directions.
    Enough force to snap solid steel cables in half.

I survived it all (well, ok, after slowly and painfully dying for 2 days, I was saved by surgery, but that doesn't count. I did survive the initial hits.)

Accept no substitutes. There is only one original, and he's me. Accept only the one and true Edena_of_Neith, who withstands nuclear level blasts and laughs at them!
    Congratulations on living, and continue on being your special snowflake self.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, Nürburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yeah, congrats on the not dying part, and I hope you're recovered now. Have you now levelled up to 168?

What kind of car were you in? Did it have airbags? Modern crumple zones? I've seen pics of cars where the front looks totalled, but the driver has walked away - because the crumple zones have done their job and absorbed enough energy to reduce the decelleration to survivable amounts (and the passenger cell remaining intact).
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

I"m still more impressed you survived the pirate ass-fountain. Tell us that one!

I'm the Toughest Guy around.
    Then why do you get so bent out of shape by impending tropical storms?
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    Yeah, congrats on the not dying part, and I hope you're recovered now. Have you now levelled up to 168?

What kind of car were you in? Did it have airbags? Modern crumple zones? I've seen pics of cars where the front looks totalled, but the driver has walked away - because the crumple zones have done their job and absorbed enough energy to reduce the decelleration to survivable amounts (and the passenger cell remaining intact).
    Ah, no. My regrets. My Greatest and Oldest Character (tm) never made it past 161st level. Some things even I, the Man of Steel, cannot do.

It was a small car. No airbags (at least, none that deployed.) Modern ... I don't know, since this was 1989, and the car was old then.
    In any event, I have a picture of the car afterwards (when they took the two halves and placed them roughly back together) and it does not even vaguely look like a car. It's crumpled, alright.

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast