Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272859 ... LastLast
    A ripe scrawny old elf?? COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Qualidar's Avatar
    Province
    North Quincy, MA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Justifed_Ancient View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    So... does anyone have any idea, hearsay, rumor, wishful thinking, or just complete blather to share about what the default campaign world will be in 5E? Personally, I'd love to see Planescape or Spelljammer, but I don't think either are really very likely.
    I think I saw Forgotten Realms mentioned as the first campaign setting in one of the articles.

A ripe scrawny old elf?? COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Qualidar's Avatar
    Province
    North Quincy, MA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by mhensley View Post
    Ohh, that's a tone the other articles didn't have!

Quote Originally Posted by Qualidar View Post
    I think I saw Forgotten Realms mentioned as the first campaign setting in one of the articles.
    Oh good. Maybe they can fuck that up even more than 4th Edition did.

Province
    Somewhere wet and muddy.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Justifed_Ancient View Post

So... does anyone have any idea, hearsay, rumor, wishful thinking, or just complete blather to share about what the default campaign world will be in 5E? Personally, I'd love to see Planescape or Spelljammer, but I don't think either are really very likely.
    FR confirmed.

new dads don't sleep either COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Belen's Avatar
    Province
    Texas
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by delericho View Post
    IMO, both of these would be a mistake.

(That is, I don't think the Core Rulebook should include more than 4 races. However, if it does go beyond 4, then they should add additional races based purely on popularity - and I'm near-certain that Gnomes don't hold that #5 slot. At a guess, it's probably Dragonborn.)
    Doubtful. If Dragonborn were so popular, then they would be a draw for 4e. As 4e was not very successful, then I would drawn the conclusion that Dragonborn are not hugely popular outside the 4e folks.
    Sam: But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding on to Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Belen View Post
    Doubtful. If Dragonborn were so popular, then they would be a draw for 4e. As 4e was not very successful, then I would drawn the conclusion that Dragonborn are not hugely popular outside the 4e folks.
    I think dragonborn are divisive - more people dislike that they exist than any other race, but of those who don't find them abhorrent they are very popular.

Gnomes are more "meh" both ways.

new dads don't sleep either COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Belen's Avatar
    Province
    Texas
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Personally, I think that WOTC needs to do what they needed to do with 4e. Create a game that highlights the aspects of table top play that cannot be found on a monitor.
    Sam: But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding on to Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

That's *Miss* Manners to you. Ranger Wickett's Avatar
    Province
    Atlanta, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    For the record, I'm intrigued. I love new rules, so anything that gives me new toys to play with in game design will be appreciated.

Mostly I just want to see them do it well. It sucks to make a few missteps and then provoke a lot of negative reactions on the internet. I hope they can pull off what they're trying to do.

Creator of ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution. Adventure seven, Schism, now available for Pathfinder and D&D 4th edition.

Creator of War of the Burning Sky. Available for D&D 3.5 and 4th editions.

Consider the long now. You live for decades. Enjoy today, but plan as if you're going to make it to a hundred.

Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    If the ADEU structure had been an option in an option book instead of how EVERY SINGLE CLASS was built for 3 PHBs, it probably would've helped out some. It was too little, too late by the time essentials came out. It wasn't 4e's only problem, but it was one for me.
    Yes, I think that was a problem. "Essentialized" Core rules would have not turned of as many players. The game's presentation was even closer to that of previous edition (especially 3E). (I didn't like the way classes are written up in Essentials, but if I am in the minory, well, do whatever you want. With a DDI Character Builder, I don#t need to care anyway, right?)
    But Essentials came later, and by them, you just cannot reach all the people that didn't like your first attempt. You just can't.

A pirate's life for me! nail bunny's Avatar
    Province
    100 hurricane swamp
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuas Randallus View Post
    As 4e's diaglo, what is my appropriate response here?

Rage?

Depression?

Sandy vagina?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQn1j1mGfA0"]Erik Hassle - Isnt It Obvious - YouTube[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    I think dragonborn are divisive - more people dislike that they exist than any other race, but of those who don't find them abhorrent they are very popular.

Gnomes are more "meh" both ways.
    FWIW, the least "created" races are the MM-only races.

But if you're not playing a human, you are in the minority. If you are not playing a human, elf or dwarf (in that order), you are REALLY in the minority.

Province
    New Jersey
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by amethal View Post
    That's good news. I was wondering if he'd ever get over being stuck at ground zero on The Day 3CatCircus Was Right (tm).

Province
    Yeah, right. You can't stalk me, yo!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Speaking only for myself, I'm pretty excited about this new edition. Though I am definitely biased. I know at least three of the people on the design team and I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Too, while I didn't mind 4e, it didn't "do it for me". It was okay, I played it here and there. But it wasn't something I consumed like geek popcorn.

I would love it if 5th Edition gives me an excuse to become a rabid consumer again. I'm ready to come back and am cautiously optimistic. They have a serious mountain to climb for this edition.
    "You think Osama is regretting giving his personal information on the Playstation Network?" - Remathilis

Loves Vanilla Ice Cream delericho's Avatar
    Province
    Falkirk
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Belen View Post
    Does not follow. There are plenty of other reasons to dislike 4e. And the chance to play a Dragonborn is unlikely to be so compelling by itself to counteract that. Even if that were compelling, converting them to other systems is a pretty trivial task.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    But if you're not playing a human, you are in the minority. If you are not playing a human, elf or dwarf (in that order), you are REALLY in the minority.
    Really? I was of the impression that "Dwarf Fighter" was by far the most common character type. Or is it that virtually everyone who plays a Dwarf is also a Fighter?

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    While I believe that is true it really jars with personal experience. Most of our group play whichever race gives the best two attribute bonuses for their class.

I've been in several groups with no humans.

Although saying that, the current party has a human cleric (well until he was killed las session) and a human fighter (me).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!