Thread: Definition of a Spoiler Thread

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I'm not sure if DJ is talking about me or not... but the problem is not as simple as he states. I AM one of the people who complained in a thread and in the end because of a certain few, I had to remove myself from the conversation even though multiple people asked me to stay because they enjoyed my guesses of what was to come.

This thread is supposed to be discussing what a spoiler is and if we don't come to a sort of consensus the only people going to be happy are the ones who don't care about dropping spoilers on people. And that is going to keep other people who want to have genuine conversation out of luck.

We had TWO threads for Game of Thrones this past season. One was all spoilers allowed, tv, book, whatever. The other was for TV SHOW ONLY. In the TV SHOW ONLY threads we had people, DJ included, coming in and saying stuff like (just an example, I am not attributing this quote to him) "Well, Tyrion is one of the most popular characters in all the books through the series!"

In a show where anything goes and no character is safe, that ruins a part of the next whatever seasons of the show because now I know he survives all his life threatening situations for the foreseeable future. THAT IS A FUCKING SPOILER for anyone who hasn't read the book. We had a few people ask those dropping book spoilers to stop but in essence they refused.

Just because someone has the opinion that "the books have been out for 10 years so I should be able to talk about the books freely" doesn't mean everyone agrees with you. I think this is where the "don't be a dick" rule comes into effect.

Personally, I prefer to read books once the entire series is out so I can tear through them all together rather than waiting 10 years between each book and I forgotten half of what happens. Of course, who knew it would take Martin a bajillion years to finish the series? Regardless, I am holding out until the series is done and that is my choice, as is my choice to watch the TV show now. I stayed out of the spoiler thread, so I shouldn't have to not discuss the TV show because book readers can't help themselves.

I am interested to see what happens in this thread because I would LOVE to get to talk about the show, and other shows in similar circumstances. But what's the point if the tv show or books are going to be ruined by those who just can't help themselves from commenting on things they know.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree... it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Albert Einstein

Ruby Selari Molly

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Aside from my earlier definition of a spoiler, I find it annoying and unfun to have to censor half of what I say in a thread and/or constantly toggle spoiler bars and heavily edit my every post to conform to a handful of overly sensitive individuals. It dampens my enthusiasm for discussing the show, and has kept me from posting info I find or theories I have had on several occasions.

I've held back on participating in several media threads specifically because I was/am sick to death of people always complaining about spoilers and not just being able to discuss the show freely.

To me, common courtesy is being respectful of everyone's wishes. I don't accept that it's on me to watch what I say when someone else walks into an environment where the intention is clear. And one thing this thread has already clarified is that most people view spoilers as "anything goes". A few people still want a definition to cater to their needs beyond that though. And some people clearly put the burden me to be sensitive to what offends them, but not on them to responsible for their own behavior or the impact their behavior has on them.

I liken this to walking into a strip club and complaining that the dancers are naked when you only expected them to be topless. Then complaining to the manager and making noise to try to change the environment.

It may keep certain people from certain threads if we have an anything goes type of spoiler. But that's by their choice. It's extremely rude to put the burden and blame on the rest of us for their choice and their fun or lack thereof.
    Last edited by Janos; October 27th, 2011 at 03:31 PM.

Fascinating COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Mustrum_Ridcully's Avatar
    Province
    Oldenburg
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Insert Username Here View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    No, they just need to STAY OUT of threads like that.

Honestly, if you're in a thread discussing a TV show or movie, and you haven't seen the latest episode (or movie), STAY THE HELL OUT UNTIL YOU HAVE!!!!!

It's just not complicated. I watch Castle a day or two after the broadcast, so I stay out of the Castle thread until I watch the latest episode. Maybe I'm just real smart that way...
    This was not the issue that triggered this thread. The issue that triggered the thread was mentioning spoilers that went beyond that, outside of spoilers tags. More specifically, it was a spoiler based on the comic books Walking Dead was based on, IIRC.

I have no problems with people spoiling stuff including the current episode. It would be stupid to have a thread on an episode or show without actually talking about what has happened in it.

Because Rusty Said So COMMUNITY SUPPORTER PWD's Avatar
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I just watched the latest Sons of Anarchy episode last night, it airs a day later in Canada than in the US. While what was gonna happen was telegraphed, I still would've been unhappy to have it ruined for me in advance because I got to savor the "maybe I'm reading it wrong" feeling throughout.

I solved that problem by not going in the Sons thread until the episode aired here.

There is a statute of limitations on spoilers, whatever people's personal reading or viewing habits.

Darth Vader is Luke's father.
    Bruce Willis is dead.
    The briefcase is not full of Marcellus Wallace's soul.
    The Hobbits won.
    The kid wore the Leafs jersey and learned to be thankful for it

I mean seriously people, if you impose a viewing strategy on yourselves, more power to you, but you accept the risk you're going to be spoiled, and you are in control of mitigating it. If you don't think communal threads are going to be sensitive to your needs, stay out of them.

If you post a thread and request no spoilers I think it's reasonable for you to expect no spoilers in it however. That's common courtesy. If you don't like that there are two threads, too fucking bad.

awesum sauce, side of kickass Dark Jezter's Avatar
    Province
    The Rockies.
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    Darth Vader is Luke's father.
    Bruce Willis is dead.
    The briefcase is not full of Marcellus Wallace's soul.
    The Hobbits won.
    The kid wore the Leafs jersey and learned to be thankful for it
    Also:

The chick in the Crying Game is really a man.
    Tyler Durden is a figment of Edward Norton's imagination.
    Snape kills Dumbledore.
    Kevin Spacey is Kaiser Soze.
    "Rosebud" was the name of his sleigh.

Province
    Snellville, GA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    This was not the issue that triggered this thread. The issue that triggered the thread was mentioning spoilers that went beyond that, outside of spoilers tags. More specifically, it was a spoiler based on the comic books Walking Dead was based on, IIRC.

I have no problems with people spoiling stuff including the current episode. It would be stupid to have a thread on an episode or show without actually talking about what has happened in it.
    I thought the spoiler that led to this discussion was the one I bitched about. If I am right, it was not a spoiler based on the comic books, or on any epdisodes that have already aired. To be vague, an actor apparently mentioned in an interview that he was returning to Walking Dead later this season. Someone spoiled this fact in the Walking Dead thread.

It is not the end of the world. I'm over it. I know how some posters feel about spoilers, and I govern myself accordingly.

But if people want to pretend that everyone is bitching about spoilers from recently aired episodes, go ahead. Makes little sense, as that seemed to me to be the purpose of the thread, to discuss the most recent episode of the show.

Province
    South Florida
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I have to admit that over sensitive spoiler people bug that crap out of me. I remember getting chewed out because I made a comment about Stargate in its earlier seasons having great aliens and then never showing them again and that they went to a more continuous plot line around season 5. Somebody got pissy because I didn't put that in spoilers tags.

I don't know how that is even considered a spoiler. Or how knowing that spoils the show for you.

I will say this I do get where Queenie is coming from when its books or comics that have been made in a TV series. Take the Harry Potter movies I tried very hard not to mention anything that happened in the future books because I knew some people were only watching the movies.

I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing the book Game of Thrones with the the current season or the differences in them. Because if you are so worried about spoilers in the book why are you watching the TV series before you read the book. But to discuss things that happen in the next set of books like Queenie said that can be a major spoiler.

Fascinating COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Mustrum_Ridcully's Avatar
    Province
    Oldenburg
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    This would be my definition of Spoiler Threads

SHOW TITLE [SPOILERs]
    This indicates that the thread is about SHOW TITLE and allows spoilers up to the most recently broadcasted episode.

Spoilers about comic books or books are only allowed in sblocks. As is discussion of trailers for upcoming episodes and commentary/rumors on upcoming episodes.

SHOW TITLE [FULL SPOILERS]

This indicates that the thread is about SHOW TITLE and allows spoilers about anything regarding the SHOW TITLE. It

Spoilers about comic books or books are also allowed, as is discussing trailers, commentary, rumors and so on.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf Witch View Post
    I have to admit that over sensitive spoiler people bug that crap out of me.
    No kidding, since you just did it again. And not about an earlier season, but about a current episode, replying to a post where it was blacked out to prevent spoilers, and then justifying your actions by saying that everyone should have read internet entertainment news sites and TV guide to see that spoiler.
    I like hats.

Province
    South Florida
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    No kidding, since you just did it again. And not about an earlier season, but about a current episode, replying to a post where it was blacked out to prevent spoilers, and then justifying your actions by saying that everyone should have read internet entertainment news sites and TV guide to see that spoiler.
    I am not the only one who told you that they knew about it and they didn't watch the show that the network was advertising the show on other shows and showing the pregnancy.

And the person who I quoted did not spoiler tag the hormonal crying so why are you not bitching about that and scolding him I mean that was a plot point?

Oh and the pregnancy was mentioned last season in the last episode.
    Last edited by Elf Witch; November 15th, 2011 at 04:34 PM.

• Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456