Thread: Definition of a Spoiler Thread

Because Rusty Said So COMMUNITY SUPPORTER PWD's Avatar
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    So, what about shows that have aired in one country but not another? e.g. Dr Who, BSG (which was shown in the UK ahead of the US for some series, and the other way around for others).

Is discussing the latest episode of a show that has aired in the UK, but not the US (or vice versa) classed as a spoiler, or not?

I'm thinking mainly about the US, UK, and Canada, but there are obviously a number of other English, and non-English speaking countries represented here.
    Sons of Anarchy airs one day earlier in the States than here in Canada.

So I don't read SOA threads on that one day.

I live.

Province
    Somewhere wet and muddy.
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post

I live.
    Nobody's suggesting it's of utmost importance; it's just about making the forum a little bit more convenient if possible.

That approach works for delayed broadcast stuff because there's no way around it unless you had a different thread for each country - it's often the "future" stuff (the Game of Thrones threads are a good example: spoilers from books).

Otherwise the choice appears to be: talk about it with full spoilers about everything that's going to happen or don't discuss it at all. Nothing in between. For GoT we came up with a compromise - one thread had book spoilers, the other didn't. But the payoff for that was that it was tedious following two separate conversations.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    Nobody's suggesting it's of utmost importance; it's just about making the forum a little bit more convenient if possible.

That approach works for delayed broadcast stuff because there's no way around it unless you had a different thread for each country - it's often the "future" stuff (the Game of Thrones threads are a good example: spoilers from books).

Otherwise the choice appears to be: talk about it with full spoilers about everything that's going to happen or don't discuss it at all. Nothing in between. For GoT we came up with a compromise - one thread had book spoilers, the other didn't. But the payoff for that was that it was tedious following two separate conversations.
    Wasn't, really. They were different things.

The "hadn't read any books" conversation turned into the major discussion as related to the show, while the "spoiler" discussion turned into largely predicting what had to happen based on what was written and thinking through book clarifications that were clarified by how things were presented in the show.

The noobs were slightly entertaining in their crazy speculation, but they wouldn't have provided value in a merged thread populated by series scholars.

Similarly, the series scholars wouldn't have had much to talk about most days with the series noobs.

Different topics for different purposes. We don't put all our bacon discussions under one thread to ensure no bacony wisdom is spread out and misses someone, don't need to do it about other topics either.

If multiple topics can self-support by drawing foot traffic, they inherently justify themselves and don't need to be thought about any more deeply than that.

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
    I don't think two threads on one show is bad.
    In some cases, no it's not a big deal. However, there typically isn't enough interest in most shows to support two threads.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Contrary to what passes for a thought process in someone who likes Erikson, reading his first book does count as having read Erikson.

It also counts as torture under the Geneva Convention and is outlawed in all civilized states.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail kitty View Post
    I never managed to get past the first quarter. I'd probably break under waterboarding too.
    If you two can survive oral sex from a procyonid, you can survive a little waterboarding. Pussies.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    In some cases, no it's not a big deal. However, there typically isn't enough interest in most shows to support two threads.
    Let both threads start out. If they seem to struggle, merge them.

But to support that, turn off the spoiler tags and leave only the
    Spoiler:
    sblock tag
    I suppose.

Then you can have spoilers in the same thread, but in a way which you have to intentionally open to read, versus hovering over a thread summary.

Then murder people who step out of line.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    If you two can survive oral sex from a procyonid, you can survive a little waterboarding. Pussies.
    Is this your way of saying your mother's adding watersports to the list of services she sells down on the docks?

Cause I mean, we're all adults here, you could just say it. Fru ain't here any more man. No need to euphemize yourself to death.

Province
    100 Hurricane Swamp
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User

I live.
    I don;t watch shows when they air either, it's not convenient. I tend to watch them days later (sometimes weeks later), so I too just avoid the thread till I'm ready.

No need to euthanize yourself to death.
    Now who's mincing words?
    "We will have so much winning if I get elected that you may get bored with winning. Believe me. - Trump

Province
    Snellville, GA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabloid Believer View Post
    Okay, I'm glad to see that I was not in crack. That's what I thought spoilers meant, too, but then got negrepped for talking about a spoiler. So, I figured I had been on crack all of this time, and it was just my misconception.

Hm. Well, we got that cleared up.
    Now I see it was a misunderstanding. However, the misunderstanding comes from us operating on differing meanings of the spoiler warning. I understood it to mean we were spoiling and discussing things that had happened on the show, so don't read the thread if you are waiting to watching the show.

It seems a simple solution to sblock future spoilers, things that impart knowledge of what will happen on a show in the future. If other continue to disagree, I don't think we can really force them to use the sblock. I'll just avoid threads with spoiler warnings if I don't want to risk it.

Fascinating COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Mustrum_Ridcully's Avatar
    Province
    Oldenburg
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBlank View Post
    Now I see it was a misunderstanding. However, the misunderstanding comes from us operating on differing meanings of the spoiler warning. I understood it to mean we were spoiling and discussing things that had happened on the show, so don't read the thread if you are waiting to watching the show.

It seems a simple solution to sblock future spoilers, things that impart knowledge of what will happen on a show in the future. If other continue to disagree, I don't think we can really force them to use the sblock. I'll just avoid threads with spoiler warnings if I don't want to risk it.
    Or I will just vocally complain every time it happens. I have little use for threads that are guaranteed to be full of spoilers for future episodes not aired yet, and I have little use for threads without any ability to talk about the current episode. I am interested in threads where everything that has happened on a show so far is fair game, and everything beyond that is in spoiler tags. (Honest speculation doesn't need a spoiler tag, it's speculation. Actual information from preview, leaks, twitter or time travel belong behind spoiler blocks). If this is not what the community can agree on to mean, I'll have to either enforce it "manually" in a thread or create my own thread for it.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    If this is not what the community can agree on to mean, I'll have to either enforce it "manually" in a thread or create my own thread for it.
    Based on the thread so far (and Morrus' summary of results) most people don't seem to want to use the definition and view spoilers as "anything goes".

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Is this your way of saying your mother's adding watersports to the list of services she sells down on the docks?
    Twenty bucks was specifically priced to put you out of the high end market. Maybe nail bunny offers your normal discounted price (with abnormal discharge?)

Province
    100 Hurricane Swamp
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    Twenty bucks was specifically priced to put you out of the high end market. Maybe nail bunny offers your normal discounted price (with abnormal discharge?)
    I don't sell my Mom. She's on old hippy so she still gives it away for free. Why do think I'm so poor?
    "We will have so much winning if I get elected that you may get bored with winning. Believe me. - Trump

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    Based on the thread so far (and Morrus' summary of results) most people don't seem to want to use the definition and view spoilers as "anything goes".
    It may come as a shock, but I'm A-OK with that definition and rule.

However, it will lead to a few things that I don't think benefit this place. The first being less actual posting in threads about TV shows. The second being two threads. GoT (which I didn't participate in) is something I would expect to actually have two threads for and can thrive.

Province
    Texas
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Ugh. The two thread thing is dumb.

The three most recent examples of this argument have been True Blood, Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. In all three cases information from the original source should barely be considered a spoiler as all three teleplays are wholly their own continuity. Sure, it would have been dickish to tell everyone that Ned was going to get his head cut off, but it is no spoiler to mention that Lafayette died off pretty quick in the books and his story line is wholly new.

There are some posters here who have been awfully sensitive about anything that could possibly even hint at a spoiler. It has the effect of artificially stunting normal flow of conversation. One can not even make idle conjecture without it being called a spoiler.

It has been said before, but I cannot understand why one would jump right into a thread for a show they have not seen yet. If I haven't watched this week's episode yet I wait until I have before reading so that I won't have my enjoyment affected. Everyone should show the same restraint rather than expect others to take the time to sblock things that have aired. To me a spoiler is openly discussing facts that have been established from outside sources like interviews, IMDB, articles, etc.

I think a spoiler tag should be an indication everything goes, but I also think that the very idea of creating an anything goes thread is counter productive to message board conversation. Sblock information that is definetly a spoiler and use restraint in deciding to read a thread before you are caught up. That seems a lot more reasonable than some kind rule set with multiple definitions of spoiler or a free-for-all anti spoiler spree.

• Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast