Thread: Definition of a Spoiler Thread

43% like Mistwell Vermicious Knid's Avatar
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    To me, a spoiler is anything about a media topic that might not be common knowledge. That includes Hollywood gossip, teasers/trailers, and current episode discussions. I go into a thread ready to read and discuss all of those. That's what I'd like all spoiler threads to be.

When a thread has spoiler in the title, it's anything goes and buyer beware if you choose to go into the thread and read it. It's annoying to have multiple discussions in a single thread and constantly have to toggle and police for what might suprise someone.
    This.

If you don't want to have a conversation where a surprise might be SPOILED for you, jumping into the thread tagged "spoilers" seems counterproductive.

If you want to discuss just the last aired episode...well there doesn't even need to be a spoiler alert. What adult doesn't realize it is a bad idea to jump into a discussion about something you haven't watched if you don't want to be spoiled? I don't jump into threads discussing a MMA fight I have taped but haven't watched unless I want to know the outcome, for fuck's sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Fine, I'll say it because it's obvious -- VK is 100% right

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious Knid View Post
    This.

If you don't want to have a conversation where a surprise might be SPOILED for you, jumping into the thread tagged "spoilers" seems counterproductive.

If you want to discuss just the last aired episode...well there doesn't even need to be a spoiler alert. What adult doesn't realize it is a bad idea to jump into a discussion about something you haven't watched if you don't want to be spoiled? I don't jump into threads discussing a MMA fight I have taped but haven't watched unless I want to know the outcome, for fuck's sake.
    Same here.

I'm an "anything goes" in SPOILER threads kinda poster. However I understand that if a thread creator wants specific types of spoilers kept under wraps (and they state this) that specific types should be kept under wraps.

Like we had in the First Season Walking Dead Spoiler thread, show spoilers were discussed openly, comic book plot spoilers were kept spoiler tagged.

So JC, is there going to be a poll, or are you going to dickishly presume your definition is the only one that matters?
    "We will have so much winning if I get elected that you may get bored with winning. Believe me. - Trump

Province
    Somewhere wet and muddy.
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail kitty View Post
    So JC, is there going to be a poll, or are you going to dickishly presume your definition is the only one that matters?
    To be fair, I think the main issue here is simply that he called the thread "Definition of..." when the content of the post is actually "Let's make it clear in the title what sort of spoilers to expect in this thread so we don't have to have these stupid arguments about definitions." And he borrowed my suggestion of "Spoilers" and "Future Spoilers", but the words are irrelevant as long as everyone knows what they mean. Call 'em Boilers and Foilers or something if the definition of the word "spoiler" matters particularly.

As long as the thread creator picks one of the two and sticks it in the title, everyone knows going in what to expect and nobody needs to go off on a rant about the definition of the word "spoilers".

Or we could just make two thread tags.

The main problem with the idea is that we'd probably end up with two separate threads about each show, which would be a pain in the ass to follow. So it might not be the best solution.
    Last edited by Morrus; October 20th, 2011 at 06:01 PM.

How you doin'? COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Klaus's Avatar
    Province
    Rio de Janeiro
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I think the Walking Dead thread is actually "Episode Discussion" more than "Spoilers".

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    To be fair, I think the main issue here is simply that he called the thread "Definition of..."
    That's not my issue at all. My issue is that JC is setting down a rule without determining the communities consensus of "definitions" or "rules".

The main problem with the idea is that we'd probably end up with two separate threads about each show, which would be a pain in the ass to follow. So it might not be the best solution.
    I agree. I was mildly annoyed by the GoT threads which operated that way, but it was easier to keep them seperate. I'd rather just have like "Spoiler" and "Episode Discussion Only", type threads.
    "We will have so much winning if I get elected that you may get bored with winning. Believe me. - Trump

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I haven't read the Walking Dead thread as I haven't watched this seasons episodes yet (yay for DVRs!!).

I left a couple of what were fun threads last year (season) when people started talking about things that happened in future books that hadn't happened yet in the TV shows (I believe it was True Blood and Game of Thrones). Even if the books have been out for 10 years, if I haven't read them yet, I consider it a spoiler to drop bombs inside that thread - if it's stated it's a non spoiler thread. If it's a spoiler thread then I'm an idiot to go in there and expect it to live up to my expectations. It's one thing (and fun!) for people to guess and speculate what is going to happen and any little clues they've picked up from the show. But it's not fun to hear major plot points of books I have decided not to read purposefully until the end of the show. We had two threads for GoT, one spoiler and one not spoiler but some of the spoiler people kept popping up into the other thread and couldn't help but comment and ruin it. So I choose to stop posting, even though for me it IS really fun to chat about current shows and what's happening.

Not sure if that makes sense, but if we're talking about what spoilers should and should not contain, we should talk about this issue too.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree... it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Albert Einstein

Ruby Selari Molly

Insert User Title Here COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Insert Username Here's Avatar
    Province
    Idaho
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    How about if a thread says Spoiler in the title, you stay out if you don't want anything ruined? Otherwise, don't be a whiny bitch?

Province
    South Florida
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I am really a relaxed kind of person about spoilers I don't care because it does not ruin things for me. I try and remember that it does for other people. I have seen people get bent out of shape over a spoiler that was in the scenes for next week so I do think some people are way over sensitive about it.

I don't see the need to use spoiler tags in a thread marked spoilers for the most part. There are a few exceptions like Queenie mentioned things based on books or comics. If you are talking about the show you should spoiler block things about the books and the comics for the people who have not read the printed stuff and vice versa.

Because Rusty Said So COMMUNITY SUPPORTER PWD's Avatar
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    If a thread says spoilers and you go in it, expect to be spoiled regardless of form. If it isn't tagged, you shouldn't expect spoilers of any form.

Threads don't belong to their creator, they belong to the people who post in them. Different people are gonna see the shades of gray of spoilerdom differently and threads are gonna meander.

No spoiler tag? ==> Spoil it for others and die.

Spoiler tag? ==> Bitch about any form of spoiler at all and die.

Province
    Minnesota
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    No spoiler tag? ==> Spoil it for others and die.

Spoiler tag? ==> Bitch about any form of spoiler at all and die.

Maybe my brain works funny, but PWD's remarks has me thinking of this scene:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2T7iugfXtQ"]Despicable Me - "Knocked Over" - YouTube[/ame]

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post
    Maybe my brain works funny, but PWD's remarks has me thinking of this scene:

Despicable Me - "Knocked Over" - YouTube
    Favorite. Scene. Awesomesauce!!!

I think it's pretty easy. Either it's a spoiler thread or it isn't. Needs to be marked if it is. I actually agree with PWD on this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree... it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Albert Einstein

Ruby Selari Molly

the sandwich is next! SeatownJay's Avatar
    Province
    In my own mind
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    errrrm, okay. What's your definition?
    Simple. A spoiler is discussion of events that just happened and may not have been experienced by the majority of the group or events that have not happened yet, regardless of source.

I started the Walkind Dead thread with the intention that open spoilers are acceptable and hiding them isn't required.
    space for rent

Province
    Minnesota
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    errrrm, okay. What's your definition?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownJay View Post
    Simple. A spoiler is discussion of events that just happened and may not have been experienced by the majority of the group or events that have not happened yet, regardless of source.

Thanks!

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    To me, a spoiler is anything that speeds up the unpleasant process of putrefaction. I'm hopeful that we can all use more salt and refrigeration to keep things nice and pleasant.

Because Rusty Said So COMMUNITY SUPPORTER PWD's Avatar
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
    I actually agree with PWD on this.

See, if everyone would just smarten the fuck up and agree with me in the first place all the time, we'd save time and heartache for everyone.

• Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast