Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User

Definition of a Spoiler Thread

Since there has been debate on what a spoiler thread should or shouldn't include...

It's been established that at the very least a small number of CMers would prefer to have conversation about topics without being subject to spoilers about publicly unaired material. Please make sure to utilize one of the spoiler buttons or tags (spoiler & sblock) when discussing anything that could be considered such. It's why they are there.

To take this a step further, putting a [SPOILERS] tag in the title doesn't give enough definition. All this means is that what has been made available for public consumption will be discussed. Want to have a discussion where spoilers about unaired material is fair game and doesn't need to be (s)blocked? Label your thread accordingly so others are forewarned. Something like [FUTURE SPOILERS] sounds about right.

Speculation is fine but revealing something definitive you discovered about plot, casting and the like is potentially spoiling the experience for someone else if they weren't expecting it.

Bottom line: The point of a message board is to have discussion and encourage participation. The best way to act is to include as many people as possible and state the intentions of conversation up front.

Don't be a dick. Play it safe and be courteous to your fellow posters. It's not hard.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Well this is a mildly pointless thread... but I can see what you're trying to do here.

You might consider stickying this and updating your first post on the results of the discussion. Also a poll would have helped to flesh out what the community thinks.

If you know, you care about that sort thing.
    Just lives for the cuddles.

Province
    Snellville, GA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    There is only so much we can do with moderation and pre-defining of terms like spoiler. In the Walking Dead thread, some of us had the expectation that "spoiler" in the thread title meant only spoilers about episodes that had aired. Others, including the thread starter, understood the warning to mean that any and all spoilers were fair game and did not need to be hidden.

I enjoy participating in threads about shows, books, etc. and I am not a spoiler-nazi. I know that some people even avoid the previews and commercials, but to me if it is aired as part of the episode then I'm fine with it. I do prefer to avoid spoilers that come from knowing that a particular actor/actress is slated to appear/reappear, or something someone said in an interview somewhere.

To me, it does not seem too inconvenient so SBlock anything that did not air as part of the episode. Those who want to read the spoiler and discuss it are able to do so, and those who want to participate in the general discussion without spoilers can do so as well. But if participants in a thread state that they are going to continue to post unblocked spoilers, I'll just have to miss out on that thread.

the sandwich is next! SeatownJay's Avatar
    Province
    In my own mind
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    That's your definition of a spoiler thread, not everyone's.
    space for rent

How you doin'? COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Klaus's Avatar
    Province
    Rio de Janeiro
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I assumed that a SPOILER thread about a TV show means only stuff that's been aired, that's why I used the <spoiler> tags to black out stuff about the comic book. That's a way to have layers of spoilerity without having dozens of threads.

Province
    Minnesota
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownJay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.

errrrm, okay. What's your definition?

Province
    Snellville, GA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    I assumed that a SPOILER thread about a TV show means only stuff that's been aired, that's why I used the <spoiler> tags to black out stuff about the comic book. That's a way to have layers of spoilerity without having dozens of threads.
    Ideally, others would be so considerate.

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownJay View Post
    Fuckin' a right it is. So unless there is a more widely accepted one that this community wants to adopt then "don't be a dick" is a pretty good policy. No?

Province
    NC
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Man I didn't expect so much epic butthurt on both sides of the spoiler debate!

Province
    Snellville, GA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBlank View Post
    Ideally, others would be so considerate.
    Clarification: the poster who posted the Spoiler in the Walking Dead thread was cool about it, and obviously does not intend to do it again. No hard feelings. My comments are directed towards those who still maintain it is okay to post any and all spoilers, as long as there is a "spoiler" warning in the thread title.

No butthurt here. Now I just know to avoid "spoiler" threads where the term is not defined and agreed upon by all.

Westworld Magnificent COMMUNITY SUPPORTER diaglo's Avatar
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    "don't be a dick" is a pretty good policy. No?
    sexist.

diaglo "i am a dick" Ooi
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Because Rusty Said So COMMUNITY SUPPORTER PWD's Avatar
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    "don't be a dick" is a pretty good policy. No?
    Never.

needs a break from stripping Kerrick's Avatar
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    The way I see it, ANY thread about a movie or TV show is bound to have spoilers unless the title specifically forbids it. Using this little bit of common sense, along with the common courtesy to tag anything you think might be a spoiler, could go a long way toward curbing this "problem".

Course, if you really want to go that far, why not just lay out a set of criteria that fall under "spoilers" (as agreed upon by the community), and anyone who doesn't follow it can freely get negrepped?

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrick View Post
    Course, if you really want to go that far, why not just lay out a set of criteria that fall under "spoilers" (as agreed upon by the community)

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    To me, a spoiler is anything about a media topic that might not be common knowledge. That includes Hollywood gossip, teasers/trailers, and current episode discussions. I go into a thread ready to read and discuss all of those. That's what I'd like all spoiler threads to be.

When a thread has spoiler in the title, it's anything goes and buyer beware if you choose to go into the thread and read it. It's annoying to have multiple discussions in a single thread and constantly have to toggle and police for what might suprise someone.

• Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast