Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep, or Lack Thereof

Sleep, or Lack Thereof

A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, but it took three nights of tests to get that result because try as I might, I could not go to sleep with this Thing on my face. The third time I even had a sleep aid. Didn't work, but sometime around 4-ish in the morning I apparently went to sleep long enough for the equipment to measure me.

Things have only gotten worse since then, and I decided to take another crack at this. I went to the doctor, got my prescription, and went to the home medical place yesterday to get fitted and instructed. Last night was the first night with the home CPAP machine. I lasted until 4am with no sleep, and finally turned it off.

It's not so much fear of something over my face, though that is a partial component. I could breathe fine, yawn, etc - I suspect my early asthma is the reason I breathe through my mouth a lot at night - but I have the nose+mouth mask. It's still somewhat bothersome. I'll continued to adjust it this week, and see if I can get it to not keep waking me up juuuust as I'm about to fall off. It's just that right at that time, for what might be the last breath before the slide into sleep, that push of air wakes me all the way back up.

I might be able to use the nose-only one with a chin strap. I might try that, as the majority of the problems seem to come from around my mouth.

The other option seems to be losing a crapload of weight. That hasn't happened in the last fifty years, so it seems unlikely to happen now. Still, I'm trying it as well.

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Good luck- sleep issues suck.
    Spoiler Alert!

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I understand that CPAPs fail for 1/3 of all patients -- they just can't get used to them. So don't feel alone. There's some new things coming down the pike that might help and aren't CPAPs. Hell, I took to my CPAP like a fish to water, and I'm still interested in anything that means I don't have to make sure it's with me everywhere I plan to sleep. Business and personal travel are a nightmare if I've forgotten it or the airline 'misplaces' it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    lose some weight you fat fucker.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

I've been using the nose-only mask and CPAP for 15+ years and I do pretty well with it most of the time. There are some nights where I give up on it but not too many. I can't imagine even trying a nose+mouth mask.

My nose mask doesn't have a chin strap, just four straps around the back of my head. Something like this one.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

You're not alone in hating CPAP machines. I slept really poorly the two nights I had a trial one, to the point of not sleeping at all and my heart hurt pretty badly after night two, enough so that they did tests to make sure I was till okay. I went the surgical route first and had my septum straightened and my turbinates caterized to create more air flow through my nose. It's worked wonders so far.

I still snore, but I snore a lot quieter, and I don't stop breathing as much. I may still have to get a CPAP machine, but the need is much less urgent.

Province
    Humble (Houston), TX
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneLigon View Post
    The other option seems to be losing a crapload of weight. That hasn't happened in the last fifty years, so it seems unlikely to happen now. Still, I'm trying it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    True. True.

Dude, multiple benefits to losing weight regarding the sleep apnea:

1. Daily exercise will make you ready to sleep at night.
    2. Outdoor activity (in the sun) gets you melatonin which is a natural sleep aid.
    3. Your body weight has very direct impact on how well you sleep.
    4. Your weight has tremendous impact on so many other health factors.

Start with walking every single day. Walk for 30 minutes. If you walk 2 miles or 100 yards, it doesn't matter. Walk for 30 minutes every freaking day. Keep doing that until you're walking farther and faster. Then keep doing it more.
    you suddenly see a light, behind it is a glow, too bright to see, it comes toward you and part of it breaks off, and hits the ground near you, All magic and magic items cease to function and you all take 50 million divine damage ignoring damage reduction and immunities. Also you area all disintegrated.

dshai has one. It took him awhile to get used to it. Then, after he was able to sleep with it, it took a few more weeks to really start seeing a benefit. Now, the difference is night and day. He was tired ALL the time before, and pretty much useless to me at home after he would get off work. Now, he has a lot more energy.

If your sleep apnea is severe enough, you can die in your sleep when not using a mask, so do be careful. dshai used to love naps on the couch. No longer.

Losing weight will probably help, but it also may not cure your sleep apnea. Just keep that in mind.
    "BEHOLD! My turn everything evil-inator!" -Dr. Doofenshmirtz

I've had a CPAP for about 6 years now, and I also use the nose and mouth mask. What is happening to keep you from sleeping?

There are dental appliances that help. One of them might work for you rather than the CPAP.

A CPAP mask with nose pillows might be a better fit for you. I can't use one personally. Because of the shape of my face, chin straps don't work for me. Which means that my mouth will stay open during the night, and thus I have to have a full face mask.

If the problem is pressure while you're breathing out, there are CPAPs which lower the pressure provided when breathing out.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    You're such a kind and compassionate soul sometimes Diaglo.

As for the topic, I can sympathize from a different perspective. It's not that I am not capable of sleep, it's that we have a new roommate who cries in the middle of the night, sometimes as often as three times a night, and demands we feed her and comfort her and even that we deal with her inability to go to the bathroom on her own.

Did I mention that she's less than 5 months old?
    Last edited by Mistwell; August 17th, 2011 at 05:42 PM.
    I like hats.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by cyphersmith View Post
    If the problem is pressure while you're breathing out, there are CPAPs which lower the pressure provided when breathing out.
    This. You could also look into APAPs, which automatically adjust pressure according to what's needed to keep the airway open.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    You're such a kind and compassionate soul sometimes Diaglo.
    do you know the average cost for health care for obesity health problems?

i am just concerned for Wayne.

also concerned for you, me and every other american taxpayer. we get to pay for the long term issues of these problems when the fuckers go on the dole. yeah, i'm talking about the retired fucking generation.

is wayne working or is he unemployed?
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This. You could also look into APAPs, which automatically adjust pressure according to what's needed to keep the airway open.
    I think they wanted to try me on this type first, then see about the automatically adjustable one - I think they were out of that kind as well. This one provides a burst of air when inhaling, though there is constant pressure into the mask that really isn't felt. The first types I tried at the sleep study had constant pressure throughout.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    do you know the average cost for health care for obesity health problems?

i am just concerned for Wayne.

also concerned for you, me and every other american taxpayer. we get to pay for the long term issues of these problems when the fuckers go on the dole. yeah, i'm talking about the retired fucking generation.

is wayne working or is he unemployed?
    I'm sure he is well aware of this, just as I am sure you're not helping and probably depressing him, for no benefit.
    I like hats.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    I'm sure he is well aware of this, just as I am sure you're not helping and probably depressing him, for no benefit.
    i suck at writing. i'm sure if i told him in person he would understand my meaning.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast