Thread: What is Your Favorite Flameout?

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    I don't go in there. Is it that bad? Do others feel the same?
    Yes. Hes toxic in there. I do still post there, but there are plenty of threads I ignore because of his vitriol.

Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    most of the time Mistwell, Dink, Xyxox, Kwalish Kid, and CF have nothing new to contribute. they just circlejerk each other over semantics.
    I'm not bothered by Mistwell or Xyxox. Dink and Kwalish Kid are so obviously frothing-at-the-mouth angry/crazy that they honestly don't bother me either. In fact, their posts are so irrational that they're often humorous. CF is the one who poisons the well.
    Last edited by Goblin Girl; May 16th, 2011 at 07:15 PM.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of Secrets View Post
    Sadly, you may wait a long time. CF is one of the top reasons why the Senate is not really a fun place to go and has no real debate in there any more.
    Really? I rate CF as one of the few refreshingly amusing debaters in there. You have to realize, he stopped trying to change hearts and minds ages ago, now he just amuses himself. Which can also be said about PWD.

Some (like Ovi, Enk, Rusty, and a few others) try to hold to actual debates, a few are frothingly insane (Kwalish Kid, Dink), and some just refuse to step away from the party line (Misty, Rockabilly).

fus is an oddity, some days he's remarkably insightful, others his smug ivory-tower elitism irritating.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

awesum sauce, side of kickass Dark Jezter's Avatar
    Province
    The Rockies.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Some (like Ovi, Enk, Rusty, and a few others) try to hold to actual debates, a few are frothingly insane (Kwalish Kid, Dink), and some just refuse to step away from the party line (Misty, Rockabilly).

fus is an oddity, some days he's remarkably insightful, others his smug ivory-tower elitism irritating.
    I more or less agree with these statements, although I'd add that Aloysius is starting to display the first symptoms of KK and Dink levels of crazy.
    Last edited by Dark Jezter; May 17th, 2011 at 03:26 AM.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I don't go in there. Is it that bad? Do others feel the same?
    It can be.

There are a few posters in there that actually think that the Senate is a place to simply piss other folks off rather than debate hot topics, mostly because "that's how it's always been, and the core set of people doing it is the same". It's part of why the Collis Palatium was formed.

Some threads are perfectly fine. Others are nuts.

CF is far from the worst offender there, as he'll at least make an effort to make a point, rather than simply piss on other people's thoughts.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    now he just amuses himself. Which can also be said about PWD.

whoa!

nail bunny hit it on the head.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Huh.

The Senate isn't my thing but it's something that takes away the fun of a large group of CMers perhaps it's time to take action. I know it's happened before.

Province
    Your Mom
    Oratio

Ignore User
    For me, the few times I go into the Senate, the only people I write off entirely is Dink and Kwalish. They're both so frothingly partisan that they don't even try to make any point other than Repubs/Tea Bagger/Conservative/Mistwell = teh Evil. CF and Misty will at least discuss points even though they are extremely partisan as well, so I'll at least read their posts.
    Personal choice, baby. Keep the government out of my body, my bedroom, my soul and my mind. - JoeBlank

My brother's baseball blog: http://brettkiser.wordpress.com/

The Dragon Ranges a fantasy western setting using Savage Worlds.

Worlds Galore is my gaming and geekery blog.

ARMY BUILDER

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    whoa!

nail bunny hit it on the head.
    Well, I've been reading these guys since NKL for like 9 years now.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

In my limited experience I've found that many Senate threads are only good for the first couple pages regardless of who's posting in them. After that everyone jumps up on their chosen soapboxes and the conversation digresses.
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Quote Originally Posted by loki44 View Post
    In my limited experience I've found that many Senate threads are only good for the first couple pages regardless of who's posting in them. After that someone jumps up on their chosen soapboxes and the conversation digresses.
    FIFY, where "someone" most often refers to Dink/KK/3Cat/Templetroll then Mistwell/CF/Xyxox, then Ovi/Fartmunch/Nailbunny if they're in a mood to troll on semantic quibbles and feigned obvliviousness about what they're doing.

Used to be you could bet on Wil shitting up a thread within three or four posts, but he's apparently busy with other things. The most genuinely crazy disruptiveness these days belongs to Dink/KK, and to a much lesser degree 3cat/Templetroll. Mistwell/CF/Xyx at least try to argue, they just tend to be blind to their own biases, mistwell more than most. He seems legitimately unaware half the time when he's trolling.

Ovi/Fartmunch/Nailbunny I give credit for playing honestly a good solid chunk of the time, but they can all flip a lightswitch and be in full troll mode just for shits and giggles. I count myself in that group, but my motives and when I'm in what mode aren't necessarily obvious to everyone.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    FIFY, where "someone" most often refers to Dink/KK/3Cat/Templetroll then Mistwell/CF/Xyxox, then Ovi/Fartmunch/Nailbunny if they're in a mood to troll on semantic quibbles and feigned obvliviousness about what they're doing.

Used to be you could bet on Wil shitting up a thread within three or four posts, but he's apparently busy with other things. The most genuinely crazy disruptiveness these days belongs to Dink/KK, and to a much lesser degree 3cat/Templetroll. Mistwell/CF/Xyx at least try to argue, they just tend to be blind to their own biases, mistwell more than most. He seems legitimately unaware half the time when he's trolling.

Ovi/Fartmunch/Nailbunny I give credit for playing honestly a good solid chunk of the time, but they can all flip a lightswitch and be in full troll mode just for shits and giggles. I count myself in that group, but my motives and when I'm in what mode aren't necessarily obvious to everyone.
    whoa! kiz hit it on the head.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

I'm not sure even you understand what you're trying to say there, old-timer.

Huh.

The Senate isn't my thing but it's something that takes away the fun of a large group of CMers perhaps it's time to take action. I know it's happened before.
    When action has been taken before it's always failed and/or had other repercussions.

Having the Senate or something like it is a major source of conversation (for better and worse). It keeps people posting, emotionally charged, and coming back. It's also a huge magnet for attracting new posters. Basically, it's worth the bad for the other perks of it. And since everyone in it is a willing participant, it becomes a personal responsibility problem, not a board problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    When action has been taken before it's always failed and/or had other repercussions.

Having the Senate or something like it is a major source of conversation (for better and worse). It keeps people posting, emotionally charged, and coming back. It's also a huge magnet for attracting new posters. Basically, it's worth the bad for the other perks of it. And since everyone in it is a willing participant, it becomes a personal responsibility problem, not a board problem.
    Yep, as much as some sheep may bleat, they can simply not go there.

I suggested a non-troll-friendly parallel senate once, and the sheep got offended.

I don't really think that there is anything currently wrong with the Senate that can't be solved by judicious use of the Ignore list (although it might be humorous to Tachy Dink if he shows back up). I mostly avoid the Senate because I really don't give much of a shit about politics these days, not because it is a cesspool of partisan idiocy.
    www.scottmoorecoaching.com

The next CAMP NCGD is on April 27-May1, 2017.

• Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast