Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Hmmm - I'll be in Montpellier next month and it looks like there's a place there that has their coffee. France is not generally known for it's coffee, so good coffeehouses are hard to find - I'll give it a try!
    Montpellier bottled bubble-water is the best. Get some.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, Nürburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User
    And here's an interview with him from 9 months ago: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5385276&type=3
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I
    have a Chemex coffee maker and am about to embark on its maiden voyage to make a pot of coffee. Because there's never quite enough caffeine in the world.

Has anyone used one of these? I managed to nab a free one on Freecycle and am wondering if these truly live up to the hype or if they're just fancy design work that would be readily replaced by a simple Melitta cone and a cup.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

I've heard good things. I've been thinking about getting one myself, because the brewer I use doesn't make much sense for less than half a pot, and thats a lot of coffee for me to drink on a weekend morning. I'd like to cut back, and a quality way to make a single cup would be welcome.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    I
    have a Chemex coffee maker and am about to embark on its maiden voyage to make a pot of coffee. Because there's never quite enough caffeine in the world.

Has anyone used one of these? I managed to nab a free one on Freecycle and am wondering if these truly live up to the hype or if they're just fancy design work that would be readily replaced by a simple Melitta cone and a cup.
    I would dearly love a Chemex but they're super expensive to get here due to the Australia tax (companies like to charge stupid amounts of money for things here, justifying it by import costs even though it's a load of horseshit).

I would highly recommend watching some videos on how to use it properly. My understanding of it is that the method is everything (well, and freshly ground, freshly roasted beans) in how good the result is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    We are blessed with an excellent neighborhood supplier of Fair Trade beans, so we grind fresh before every pot. Normally, we use a ceramic Melitta cone with a paper filter, but today, I used a gold filter with a melitta paper filter inside to make the coffee in the Chemex. It's just fine, but I did have to heat it as it's not as hot as the direct pour into a cup. I believe this is a Chemex with an 8-10 cup capacity carafe. It takes a little adjustment to get used to using the wooden collar to grip it around the neck and pour it, but it's a beautiful object and probably good for dinner parties. I think it was designed by some guy in MA around WW2. It's in the design collection of the Museum of Modern Art.

If you are fussy and just want to get on with the caffeine, I don't think this is for you, but if you enjoy the ritual of coffee, this is pretty cool. I need to go get some proper chemex filters, as I was improvising with a Melitta paper one. And, Kzach, I've seen Chemex carafes on ebay for less than regular retail if you are interested. It's the sort of thing that shows up at garage sales. I got the glass carafe first then someone gave me a broken carafe that I was able to rescue the collar from, so it's fun to play with.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    And, Kzach, I've seen Chemex carafes on ebay for less than regular retail if you are interested.
    Yeah, but then I get hit with shipping costs which basically makes it about the same price, but now I'm getting a second hand and risking damage in transit.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Do you guys use craigslist down under? I know there is one, just not clear on how well subscribed it is. I've gotten lots of used stuff on there, including my ipad. People often post stuff when they're moving for sale and it's used to list garage and estate sales.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Do you guys use craigslist down under? I know there is one, just not clear on how well subscribed it is. I've gotten lots of used stuff on there, including my ipad. People often post stuff when they're moving for sale and it's used to list garage and estate sales.
    We do but I don't like sticky things so I don't touch it.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

We offer wholesale of premium e-liquid vape in bulk all around the USA. We have a wide range of e-liquid like Fruit E-Liquids, Cereal E-Liquid, Dessert E-Liquid and more products.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    How about a nice hot cup of coffee?

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Or a cold one, even. I like my espresso iced.
    Deep into the past
    Follow the aeon path
    Greet a blade of grass
    Every endless form most beautiful
    Alive, aware, in awe
    Before the grandeur of it all
    Our floating pale blue ark
    Of endless forms most beautiful

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    It's weird, I cannot stand cold coffee. But I love a good cup of hot coffee in the morning. My current go to is Community Coffee Breakfast Blend.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    It's weird, I cannot stand cold coffee.
    Try some genuine cold brew from a reputable coffee shop.

Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    My current go to is Community Coffee Breakfast Blend.
    Nevermind.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Cold coffee can be really refreshing. When I was in Greece, I was surprised to find instant Nestle cold coffee was not pukeworthy, but actually tasted good. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I expect that cold brew coffee is as good as cold brew tea. You leave the grounds in the water for an infusion and then run through a strainer/filter of some kind.

I don't drink coffee as much as I used to but I like it a good strong dark roast. We get ours from a local roaster who sources organic Mexican beans (fair trade). There's nothing quite as satisfying as a cup of espresso when you are tired. My Chemex bit the dust. I accidentally smashed it with a plate that slipped out of my hand when I was drying dishes. That was traumatic as well as loud. But I have a French press and a porcelain Melitta cone that I bought from some guy in Austria on eBay back when they were still affordable. They come in some nice pastel colors.

• Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast