Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    But none of the characters are Asian!
    Fei is Singaporean (the lion statue in the episode where she goes home is a Singapore landmark.) Ed Wong is more ambiguous, but is probably Chinese.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post

An Asian guy for Spike, a black guy for Jet, a Mexican girl for Faye, and a white guy for Vicious. So, you know they did it on purpose. SIGH.
    Really? A black guy as Jet Black? Sigh. That's making the Black Power Ranger black levels of stupid tokenism.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    And it's not like the race of the characters even matters. Only Ed is from Earth (and not in this show apparently? And also the darkest skinned, most obviously mixed race character) so you'd expect them all to be random mixed races.. but casting the lone white guy as the guy literally called Vicious...
    Yup. About as expected once they decided that the Martian with a German name was supposed to be Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    Fei is Singaporean (the lion statue in the episode where she goes home is a Singapore landmark.) Ed Wong is more ambiguous, but is probably Chinese.
    That doesn't make her Chinese, considering she thinks she can pass as Rom. I always got a French vibe from her background sequences (weren't they in French?)... but then I often forget there was an original version without the English dubs as it's inferior...

Also, Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivruski IV/Edowādo Won Hau Peperu Chiburusukī 4-sei is a made up name. Her birth name was Françoise Appledelhi. Her Dad's name is Siniz Hesap Lütfen Appledelhi... "Appledelhi Siniz Hesap Lütfen" sounds like "Afedersiniz hesap lütfen" which is Turkish for "Excuse me, check please."

So Ed is probably Turkish.

But regardless, if they put Ein in it (and why would they without Ed?) he better be a Pembroke Welsh Corgi or I'm gonna fucking revolt.

Also, it's been almost 20 years since I've watched this show. I should do so again.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    They're casting Ein as a Husky.

Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    They're casting Ein as a Husky.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Just got done watching The Darkest Minds. Wow. Glad I didn't spend any money on that at the theater. Huge disappointment, especially when the concept was solid and the story could have been really good, maybe even nearing the next The Hunger Games. Horrible writing/dialogue, lots of nonsensical stuff, and not enough backstory. Sigh. Oh well.

Man, American Gods is really going in some different directions, but I adore it. Casting for Baron Samedi was perfect.

Was I the only one who paused to look at the veves on the walls outside, and noticed the aegishjalmr on the wall inside? Interesting stuff.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Man, American Gods is really going in some different directions, but I adore it. Casting for Baron Samedi was perfect.

Was I the only one who paused to look at the veves on the walls outside, and noticed the aegishjalmr on the wall inside? Interesting stuff.
    I'm still adjusting to shifting my sleep schedule so I'm pretty behind on my show watching (I've missed pretty much everything for the past month, it's just piling up in my torrent folder).

I'm still adjusting to shifting my sleep schedule so I'm pretty behind on my show watching (I've missed pretty much everything for the past month, it's just piling up in my torrent folder).
    I'm really, really, really liking it. Extremely well-written, artistically done in everything from costuming to little detailed things that most probably won't notice/bother with, some utter hilarity perfectly sprinkled in, some poignant social messages, and the story has changed so much from the book that it's almost like a whole new, fresh, wondrous story. I guess as would be expected with Himself working on it.

Would you prefer a thread made solely for it to avoid spoilers until you catch up? I was under the impression that AD and I were pretty much the only ones watching it.

My only beef is that the seasons are ONLY eight episodes long. At this rate, it's gonna take five or six seasons to get through the whole story.

And who knows when season three is gonna drop, they had production problems with directors/producers having hissyfits and leaving with season two, I think I heard, which is why it took over a year to get it.

I also really hope they include the Native American characters (Whiskey Jack and....??) because I bet they would be awesome to see onscreen. But in one of the episodes Wednesday was bitching about "Whiskey Jack is out...no whiskey for Whiskey Jack" or something like that, so they may have cut that whole bit out.

Edit: last night I ended up on a wiki-walk to fill in gaps in my knowledge of vodoun stuff, and ran across the veves of both Baron Samedi and Maman Brigitte, as well as learning about some of the specific drum rhythms allocated to various loa. Now I kinda want to go back and see if I was correct in remembering that I saw at least elements of the correct veves on the walls, and if they did their research in the details like that, which I'm betting they did. And I want to know why that aegishjalmr was on the wall, since that's not a thing that belongs. Were we meant to see it? Does that mean something? Or was it just a sly wink and a nod of an Easter-egg for us nerdy symbologist types?
    Last edited by Palaralae; April 8th, 2019 at 05:58 PM.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Would you prefer a thread made solely for it to avoid spoilers until you catch up?
    Nope. I skim so if it's something I don't want to read, I don't. Granted spoilers rarely bother me anyway.

I was under the impression that AD and I were pretty much the only ones watching it
    Looks at my avatar, looks back at what you wrote, looks again at my avatar...

Nope. I skim so if it's something I don't want to read, I don't. Granted spoilers rarely bother me anyway.

Looks at my avatar, looks back at what you wrote, looks again at my avatar...
    I know you're quick enough with a Google when you need it, and that you had at least watched season 1, but thought you had mentioned something months ago about not bothering with the show anymore, or something. Maybe that was somebody else, iunno.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I know you're quick enough with a Google when you need it...
    Aye lass.

...but thought you had mentioned something months ago about not bothering with the show anymore...
    Yah, that was probably someone else. I've been waitin for it to restart... and it had to restart when I'm too tired to pay attention to stuff.

Would you prefer a thread made solely for it to avoid spoilers until you catch up? I was under the impression that AD and I were pretty much the only ones watching it.
    Must be another AD.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Must be another AD.
    Jaysus Aitch, I could have sworn we were talking about American Gods stuff. Maybe it was someone of FB instead.

FFS. I obviously need a fucking nap today or something.

Edit: No, Maxperson is also watching it. I goddamn well knew I had mentioned the hilarity of a past episode here and someone concurred, but it was in one of reveal's trivia threads, not this one that I was infuriatedly scrolling through. Geeesh.
    Last edited by Palaralae; April 9th, 2019 at 12:09 AM.

Yes, naps are our friends.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Jaysus Aitch, I could have sworn we were talking about American Gods stuff. Maybe it was someone of FB instead.

FFS. I obviously need a fucking nap today or something.

Edit: No, Maxperson is also watching it. I goddamn well knew I had mentioned the hilarity of a past episode here and someone concurred, but it was in one of reveal's trivia threads, not this one that I was infuriatedly scrolling through. Geeesh.
    That was me.

I'm staying current with it, although the last episode seemed sort of fragmented. There's some strange shit going on in that show.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

• Page 183 of 189 FirstFirst ... 83133164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189 LastLast