Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The first episode of "What We Do in the Shadows" was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    The first episode of "What We Do in the Shadows" was pretty good.
    WAIT, WHAT?!?

(Swearwolves for life, btw.)

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Did you not know they were doing a tv show, or did you not know it came out a day ago?

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Okay, I'm sold.

Last edited by nail bunny; March 30th, 2019 at 03:09 AM.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Did you not know they were doing a tv show, or did you not know it came out a day ago?
    Yes.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'mma track it down post-haste.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Okay, I'm sold.
    I've been sold on it. ^_^
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Apparently Blondie Archer lives. Dead border patrol:

Tara - Hilltop leader
    Enid - Hilltop medic
    Henry - sort of an "early Carl" redux
    Tammy Rose - elderly Hilltop resident, recently adopted an infant
    Ozzy - Highwayman leader
    Alek - Highwayman
    DJ - Savior-turned-Alexandrian
    Addy - Hilltop teen
    Rodney - Hilltop teen
    Frankie - a wife of Negan's and friend of Eugene's
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Apparently Blondie Archer lives. Dead border patrol:

Tara - Hilltop leader
    Enid - Hilltop medic
    Henry - sort of an "early Carl" redux
    Tammy Rose - elderly Hilltop resident, recently adopted an infant
    Ozzy - Highwayman leader
    Alek - Highwayman
    DJ - Savior-turned-Alexandrian
    Addy - Hilltop teen
    Rodney - Hilltop teen
    Frankie - a wife of Negan's and friend of Eugene's
    Ah, ok. I was trying to remember who was where and when and missed seeing where she was.

The only ones I was even remotely sad about were Enid and the couple of Highwaymen. Henry got on my nerves and made me a whole lot.

My overwhelming thought about the finale? "They're not just leaving the horses there, are they? THEY CAN'T LEAVE THE HORSES! Those are some nice teams! Fuuucck! WHY DO HORSES *ALWAYS* SOMEHOW TOTALLY GET SHAFTED IN TWD!?!?"

Maybe they set them loose in the snowstorm and they'll find their own way back. They should; mine have come home after getting loose and playing Wild Mustang for a week or two. They know where home is.

The only characters I'm really vested in any more are Carol and Darryl (of course), and Negan. I still want Gabriel gone, preferably eaten alive by a herd while paralyzed by his own cowardice. Again.

More or less agreed on the beheaded. For me, Tara, Enid and the Highwaymen (mostly because they we just on the verge of possibly becoming interesting.) Hilltop has the worst leader retention record ever: Gregory (good riddance, but still...), Jesus, Maggie, Enid...

Yeah, Henry was becoming tiresome. At times it seemed like the writers were trying to position him as...not really a new Carl, but a sort of one-kid-fits-all representative for coming-of-age-post-apocalypse stuff. And he's just boring. Too bad the kid wasn't a better actor...Carl's gone and Enid grew out of that role, but Judith's a little young for it just yet. (Although Cailey Fleming is awesome in that role.)

At present Negan is really only interesting to me in terms of his interaction with Judith. Gabriel's story arc should have ended seasons ago, when he confessed to abandoning his congregation to the walkers.

Some of the recent character interaction also seemed to quickly become pointless: Ezekiel "hints" that Daryl should bug out so he can have some alone time with Carol, then Carol leaves. Might as well have cut the scene between Zeke and Daryl.

Yeah, Henry was becoming tiresome. At times it seemed like the writers were trying to position him as...not really a new Carl, but a sort of one-kid-fits-all representative for coming-of-age-post-apocalypse stuff. And he's just boring. Too bad the kid wasn't a better actor...
    Carl's gone and Enid grew out of that role, but Judith's a little young for it just yet. (Although Cailey Fleming is awesome in that role.)
    Agreed. Carl at least had some pathos, Henry got boring beyond the point when Morgan was tutoring him in stick-fu and teaching him to control his murderous/vengeful impulses.

At present Negan is really only interesting to me in terms of his interaction with Judith.
    Those are interesting and oft-times amusing, but I'm liking more his story arc about the possibilities of change and redemption. Though I admit it brought a smile to my face to see his old button-pushing sassiness/mouthiness on the last episode.

Gabriel's story arc should have ended seasons ago, when he confessed to abandoning his congregation to the walkers.
    Yes. This. Will no-one rid us of this troublesome priest?

Some of the recent character interaction also seemed to quickly become pointless: Ezekiel "hints" that Daryl should bug out so he can have some alone time with Carol, then Carol leaves. Might as well have cut the scene between Zeke and Daryl.
    See, I read that differently; Ezekiel sees the interaction between Carol and Darryl, and maybe knows (or just infers) their past entanglement, so he gets a little bit green-eyed monster. Darryl is noble and (still) loves Carol enough that he wants her to be happy, so he will accede to Ezekiel's wishes, but Carol intuits what went on. Between Henry's death rocking her foundation, and even the faintest whiff of jealousy/possessiveness from Ezekiel (likely a trigger from her asshole ex), she decides she needs a break or doesn't want that any more so she gave back his ring. I'm all for this; though I think Carol and Darryl are about the most deserving of happiness of any of the characters, I have always thought that Carol and Darryl absolutely belong together and are the best match for each other.

Though I admit to liking the idea of Deaf Girl warming to Darryl a little bit, and the fact that interacting with her actually makes Darryl look someone in the eyes for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Those are interesting and oft-times amusing, but I'm liking more his story arc about the possibilities of change and redemption.
    That's clearly what the writers want to be interesting about Negan. But I just don't see any surprises ahead: Negan will reform, ultimately justifying Carl's vision; not everyone will believe it, so some tension will remain.

See, I read that differently; Ezekiel sees the interaction between Carol and Darryl, and maybe knows (or just infers) their past entanglement, so he gets a little bit green-eyed monster. Darryl is noble and (still) loves Carol enough that he wants her to be happy, so he will accede to Ezekiel's wishes, but Carol intuits what went on. Between Henry's death rocking her foundation, and even the faintest whiff of jealousy/possessiveness from Ezekiel (likely a trigger from her asshole ex), she decides she needs a break or doesn't want that any more so she gave back his ring. I'm all for this; though I think Carol and Darryl are about the most deserving of happiness of any of the characters, I have always thought that Carol and Darryl absolutely belong together and are the best match for each other.
    Okay, I buy that. I actually read much of that the same way, but even after Carol asked if something happened between Ezekiel and Daryl, I still thought she was just leaving because of grief over Henry. Carol & Daryl have a strong bond, but I've always thought it had long since become entirely platonic for both of them (and always was for Carol), so one possible in-character response to perceived jealousy might have been: "I'm not sure which of you is the bigger idiot" and then saying nothing more, letting them figure out for themselves they had nothing to compete over.

Though I admit to liking the idea of Deaf Girl warming to Darryl a little bit, and the fact that interacting with her actually makes Darryl look someone in the eyes for once.
    Not to mention recognize another person having actual skillz within his own wheelhouse. He's had to defer to her more than once because she had the better idea.

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Netflix: we're doing a live action anime: Cowboy Bebop

Me: *sigh* not this again

Netflix: with Asian casting!

Me: *gets hopes up* I wonder who they're going to cast as Ed and Fei...

Netflix: *typecasts martial artist Spike Spiegel as an Asian*

Me: *sigh* should have known better

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    Netflix: we're doing a live action anime: Cowboy Bebop

Netflix: with Asian casting!
    But none of the characters are Asian! I mean, I don't give a shit as long as the actors do a good job, but this is like the exact opposite of trying to be "racially sensitive and inclusive".
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    But none of the characters are Asian! I mean, I don't give a shit as long as the actors do a good job, but this is like the exact opposite of trying to be "racially sensitive and inclusive".

An Asian guy for Spike, a black guy for Jet, a Mexican girl for Faye, and a white guy for Vicious. So, you know they did it on purpose. SIGH.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    And it's not like the race of the characters even matters. Only Ed is from Earth (and not in this show apparently? And also the darkest skinned, most obviously mixed race character) so you'd expect them all to be random mixed races.. but casting the lone white guy as the guy literally called Vicious...

• Page 182 of 189 FirstFirst ... 82132163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189 LastLast