Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Anybody watched the Starz series of Spartacus that looks to have run about three seasons and can recommend for/against? I've seen some costuming from it (which is what led me to it), but the trailer looked a little much on the CGI/video-game look for combat.

I recall the fighting to be pretty good, actually.

edit: I'm gonna amend this to "very good". There was even an unarmed fight on the streets between two gladiators, and Spartacus attempted a triangle choke and his opponent countered with a slam. Fairly accurate MMA style fight.
    Last edited by Eldorian; March 12th, 2019 at 11:31 PM.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Anybody watched the Starz series of Spartacus that looks to have run about three seasons and can recommend for/against? I've seen some costuming from it (which is what led me to it), but the trailer looked a little much on the CGI/video-game look for combat.
    Loved it. Thumb up, in context.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Oh, just a warning. The guy who plays Spartacus dies halfway thru the show, and they cast another guy to finish up. Fuck cancer.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Oh, just a warning. The guy who plays Spartacus dies halfway thru the show, and they cast another guy to finish up. Fuck cancer.
    Non-hodgkin's lymphoma. Yes, fuck cancer.
    I think ovi's right.

Yeah, I had read that's why they went back and made like a season of prequel while they got the new actor to shoot the second season. That's too bad.

I haven't seen any fighting except the bits on the trailer, and it kinda looked a bit like a bad green-screen job for part of it.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yeah, I had read that's why they went back and made like a season of prequel while they got the new actor to shoot the second season. That's too bad.

I haven't seen any fighting except the bits on the trailer, and it kinda looked a bit like a bad green-screen job for part of it.
    They do some 300-esque visual things, but the fighting is actually quite good. Not dance-y and acrobatic like Badlands, mind.
    I think ovi's right.

Oooohh, Captive State comes out this Friday, and then Us the following Friday. Definitely eagerly looking forward to both of those, maybe the former more than the latter. Interesting to see John Goodman in a role again.

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Another pro Spartacus vote. Very good.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    JAMES GUNN IS BACK FOR GUARDIANS 3!!!

So, while I'm waiting to get a season or two of "Spartacus" as well as "The Darkest Minds", I ran across one of my randomly-jotted-down reminders to get a movie called "Howl", that is supposed to be a decent werewolf movie. Since I like that sort of thing, what are some other werewolf movie recommends? Already on my to-get list are "Blood and Chocolate", "Ginger Snaps", "Dog Soldiers".

I don't generally go for cheesy/old movies, so probably not interested in 'classics' like the Wolfman, or American Werewolf In London. Nor will I subject myself to the drek that is "Twilight", even if it purportedly had some good werewolf action in it.

On the fence (I need to watch trailers) for "Van Helsing", "Red Riding Hood" and the "Underworld" movie(s).

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    ... "Dog Soldiers"...
    Not terrible. That's the best rating I can give it. It falls more in line with the type of monster/horror movie I prefer which is "less action cheesy cinematic" nonsense, but if I recall correctly it leans very hard on the "make every shot in the dark to keep the budget down" trope.

... "Van Helsing" ... "Underworld"...
    Ugh. Van Helsing is a superhero movie dressed up as "classic monster/action schlock" and Underworld is pure "grimdark/action/superhero" schlock.

You'd probably love them.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post

Ugh. Van Helsing is a superhero movie dressed up as "classic monster/action schlock" and Underworld is pure "grimdark/action/superhero" schlock.

You'd probably love them.
    Hmmm. Depends on the exact flavor of schlock, though I admit my ears perked up at grimdark/action/superhero a bit.

I thought I saw someone (I wanna say it was VK I saw talk about 'Howl') mention that 'Howl' was like the werewolf version of "Train to Butan" or whatever that zombie movie that you or someone else gave a high recommend to. I probably need to look that one up as well.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm 2 episodes into "Love, Death, and Robots" on netflix, it's pretty fun. It's a animated anthology series of short films about adult scifi shit.

Edit: more in. Some are funny, some are silly, some are horrifying. They also vary in quality. Lots have gore and/or titties and/or dicks.

edit2: I have no idea how this show got made. It looks insanely expensive for tv.

edit3: The episodes are in random order for each viewer, that's cool.
    Last edited by Eldorian; March 16th, 2019 at 06:54 PM.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Hmmm. Depends on the exact flavor of schlock, though I admit my ears perked up at grimdark/action/superhero a bit.

I thought I saw someone (I wanna say it was VK I saw talk about 'Howl') mention that 'Howl' was like the werewolf version of "Train to Butan" or whatever that zombie movie that you or someone else gave a high recommend to. I probably need to look that one up as well.
    The inanity of the wiki writer would almost make me never want to see this movie ever...

Paul is killed by the werewolf when it manages to break into the train, however it is killed by all of the other passengers fighting together. However, its deathcries manage to alert the rest of its nearby pack, who are now also drawn to the train. Billy offers to help repair the train, and is accompanied by Matthew to act as a lookout. However, Matthew is distracted by calls for help, and wanders into the forest, only to be confronted and killed by three werewolves just when he discovers the half eaten body of Nina up in a tree. Billy manages to repair the train enough so that Joe can start the train. However, with the werewolves circling the train, Billy hides by pulling himself up into the undercarriage as the train starts moving.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    The inanity of the wiki writer would almost make me never want to see this movie ever...
    D00D!! SPOILERS!!

• Page 180 of 189 FirstFirst ... 80130161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189 LastLast