Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    I want to go see the new Spiderman movie, the Wreck It Ralph sequel, and Aquaman, but I just got a new puppy and all my free time is poop alert.
    Lol. Puppies are like toddlers, can't trust em alone.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Attachment 51374

My mom said I broke him. He's just asleep.
    They seem to tend to break themselves at that age.

Luckily, puppies and most other Young Things are made mostly of enough rubber to compensate for poor judgment choices.

Super cute, congrats on your new toothed terror.
    "And now? With no drunks? There ain't no bums.
    And with no bums, there ain't no muthafuckas to feed the ducks at the park.
    What's a fuckin' town with no ducks, J-Tro? It's nothin'! IT AIN'T NOTHIN!
    How's a ***** to sort his shit out without no DUCKS?!"

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    They seem to tend to break themselves at that age.

Luckily, puppies and most other Young Things are made mostly of enough rubber to compensate for poor judgment choices.

Super cute, congrats on your new toothed terror.
    Just got back from the vet, thought he had a broken toe. Just a sprain. He also has a bump on his head from the breeder's house (it's reduced in size considerably in the week I've had him, I wasn't worried).

And yeah, he sleeps on his back often. Whippets do that.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User

And yeah, he sleeps on his back often. Whippets do that.
    I guess they whippet. Whippet good.

Glad he's okay.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Dogs do that when they're completely happy and trust you utterly in general.

On a cartonish note, I finally broke down and started to watch Steven Universe. It's surprisingly good. It has compelling characters and a good, overall plot. I'm pleasantly surprised.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Pretty disappointed with Aquaman. That was the longest video game I've sat through. Solid D, about the only thing that kept it from F territory was the fact that Jason Momoa was in it, and I think he's in danger of starting to get cast as Jason Momoa playing Jason Momoa, kind of like how Will Smith has played basically Will Smith in his last 10 or so movies.

Even the costuming kinda sucked. It looked purposefully fakey, sort of like if you imagined mediocre cosplayers making costumes for the movie based on ideas they got from seeing the movie, if that makes any sort of meta sense.

I guess we at least sort of got to see a baby tarrasque, right? Sigh.

Pretty disappointed with Aquaman. That was the longest video game I've sat through.
    I was disappointed by the issues with scale (time, size, and distance.) You get gigantic sea turtles, oversized sharks, the odd surviving aquatic dinosaur...but the blue whales were smaller than the ones we know?

From a low elevation in Sicily, you can see almost all the way to Greece?

A marine trench leads to "the Earth's core", but you can swim there in a few minutes?

One of the kingdoms of Atlantis broke away over seven million years ago (predating the oldest known hominids by about a million years)...yet the Atlanteans supposedly discovered unlimited energy at a time when humans still thought the Earth was flat. And it sank c. 1000 AD?

Guardian creature has been on duty for "a thousand years" but hasn't fed "in eons?"
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Pretty disappointed with Aquaman. That was the longest video game I've sat through. Solid D, about the only thing that kept it from F territory was the fact that Jason Momoa was in it, and I think he's in danger of starting to get cast as Jason Momoa playing Jason Momoa, kind of like how Will Smith has played basically Will Smith in his last 10 or so movies.

Even the costuming kinda sucked. It looked purposefully fakey, sort of like if you imagined mediocre cosplayers making costumes for the movie based on ideas they got from seeing the movie, if that makes any sort of meta sense.
    The CGI looked good, but it was CGI. It also had the usual superhero fight problem - their power level is kinda all over the place and hardly relatable. You just have no sense of how dangerous things are for them. Grenade launcher causes an ouch, but a sword forged from Atlantean is dangerous. You can drop out of an airplane without a parachute (admittedly, there is now a study that shows that parachutes are unneccesary), but you have to desperately cling to a roof so you don't fall off 3 meters or so.

I guess we at least sort of got to see a baby tarrasque, right? Sigh.
    The ancient Atlantean monster? I never got a real sense of how it was supposed to look like in full, but yes, it reminded of a Tarrasque a bit.
    Last edited by Mustrum_Ridcully; December 27th, 2018 at 01:12 PM.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    The CGI looked good, but it was CGI. It also had the usual superhero fight problem - their power level is kinda all over the place and hardly relatable. You just have no sense of how dangerous things are for them. Grenade launcher causes an ouch, but a sword forged from Atlantean is dangerous. You can drop out of an airplane without a parachute (admittedly, there is now a study that shows that parachutes are unneccesary), but you have to desperately cling to a roof so you don't fall off 3 meters or so.

The ancient Atlantean monster? I never got a real sense of how it was supposed to look like in full, but yes, it reminded of a Tarrasque a bit.
    That study is a riot.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well it is the DC universe. I'd expect some wacky things from it. I mean you have guys that can survive in space without protection for goodness sakes.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    ...admittedly, there is now a study that shows that parachutes are unneccesary...
    Brillaint! Some one give this man some rep!

Please? I mean I would, but clearly being a mod is some how interfering with my rep delivery capacity....

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    That study is a riot.
    Best thing I've read all day.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    A marine trench leads to "the Earth's core", but you can swim there in a few minutes?
    Apparently only when you get spat out by an, um...underwater tornado/electrical storm?

I am still somehow irked about the costuming. Not sure why. I started going into my "watching background and costuming and not the movie itself" mode about halfway through, which is a bad sign. Usually I only go into that mode on a second viewing specifically for that purpose.

I also was all, "Hmmm..saltwater crocodiles? No. Hmmm, pleisiosaurs, no....mosasaurs? Oh wait, we end up in the lush tropical paradise of Jurassic Park anyhow, so I guess that lone mosasaur from the last JP movie must've made it. And been gravid. Ok, great." My inner MST3K literally started playing the JP theme when they wash up on the beach..."Welcome.....to Jurassic Park!"

A bunch of people on my FB friends list are all "But I *liked* Aquaman!" And for most of them, I refrained from replying "...absolutely zero
    surprise there..."

Jeez. Mortal Engines should have gotten the 2 stars that Aquaman did, it was less-disappointing. :/

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Saltwater crocodiles are a real thing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltwater_crocodile

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    A bunch of people on my FB friends list are all "But I *liked* Aquaman!" And for most of them, I refrained from replying "...absolutely zero
    surprise there..."
    Let me guess, all chicks that leave a drool trail when ever Jason Mamoa is on screen?
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    Saltwater crocodiles are a real thing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltwater_crocodile
    No shit, Sherlock. I've wanted to hunt one for a long-ass time. Since they're bigger and more aggressive than your Nile crocs, caimans, and other crocodilians, that is, in fact, why seeing the critters onscreen made me go to them as my first guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Let me guess, all chicks that leave a drool trail when ever Jason Mamoa is on screen?
    Well, normally I'd be in that category too, but there were some other folks that apparently really liked it. Including a past CM'er who sang some pretty enthusiastic praise about it. I'm still dithering as to whether he might have been being ironic or if he was serious.

• Page 173 of 174 FirstFirst ... 73123154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174 LastLast