Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    Patriot on Amazon Prime is back!
    Yay! I've been thinking it was right about time for it to return.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Oh hey... two of my favorite genres, Wuxia and Zombies...
    I've now watched Train to Busan and it's a damned good zombie flick. Top of my recommends list...

Why am I mentioning it? The upcoming wuxia/zombie movie Rampant was made by the same guy who made Train to Busan. So I've got higher hopes...

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm watching Designated Survivor on Netflix. It's OK. There is this FBI agent played by Maggie Q, who is distractingly attractive for a FBI agent, and no one seem to notice. That aside, it's falling into the same "110 pound woman somehow beats a man who is at least 60 pounds heavier and probably better trained in hand to hand" trope. Many times. Waif-Fu is really an overplayed trope... Hollywood has a hard time casting women who aren't 110 pounds, but still wants them to be in action roles, and in a show that takes itself as seriously as this one, it feels really strange. It's bad enough when Colleen Wing in Iron Fist is this hyperbadass able to beat up prizefighters who are twice her size.. I mean at least that's a comic book adaptation. I just wish they'd get women who aren't so tiny for these action roles. If the gender was swapped, and it was a 110 pound man in these scenes...

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Waif-Fu is really an overplayed trope...
    I'm shocked Kzach or the moron haven't popped in here to screech "MISOGYNIST" at you at full volume.

I don't mind when they use a martial art that plays well to the physique. Like Judo, or Wing Chun. I appreciate it when they go full bore crazy-pants with the martial arts stunts like they do with Black Widow. But otherwise, yeah I agree.

And I blame Joss Whedon.

Going to go see "Crimes of Grindelwald" for the second time tomorrow since the mate hasn't seen it yet. It was pretty damn well done, though I'm disappointed with Depp as the choice for Grindelwald since his portrayal of the character seems to be composed largely of Conscious Posing and Artful Brooding. Best bits were, of course, the CGI magical creatures* and magic effects.

Also want to see the new Robin Hood flick. I know it's going to be a video-game-esque, silly-to-the-max, fun action romp, but I'm mainly going for the archery. Based on what I've seen of the previews, his form and equipment doesn't actually look half-bad.

*THE THESTRALS!! zomg, THE THESTRALS!

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

I've now watched Train to Busan and it's a damned good zombie flick. Top of my recommends list...

Why am I mentioning it? The upcoming wuxia/zombie movie Rampant was made by the same guy who made Train to Busan. So I've got higher hopes...
    VK also highly recommended/likes Train To Busan, so I guess I better put that on my list for sure.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    VK also highly recommended/likes Train To Busan, so I guess I better put that on my list for sure.
    It doesn't break any new ground as far as Zombie movies goes, but it doesn't break any new ground in all the best ways.

OMG, they made a movie about trad. Mongolian culture, the preservation of wildness, AND wolves?!?! And I am just now finding out about it!??!

MUST. WATCH. IMMEDIATELY.

Bonus points for them using a Two Steps From Hell track, in my book.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm shocked Kzach or the moron haven't popped in here to screech "MISOGYNIST" at you at full volume.
    Given that I have, repeatedly, said almost the exact same thing as Eldorian about small women fighting large men, and given that I'm a fan and practitioner of martial arts so I know how weight, size, reach, leverage, etc. work, the only moron here is you, fuckwit.

Also, the new TV series "The Rookie" with the Joss Whedon alum, Nathan Fillion, is actually quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Here is Ronda Rousey, gold medalist Judoka, UFC bantamweight champion, 140 pounds fighting weight, sparing with Gegard Mousasi, UFC middleweight contender, known for mediocre wrestling (or I should say not known for wrestling), 195 pounds fighting weight.

It looks like a dad playing with his kid. That's the advantage 50 pounds and testosterone gets you. And Maggie Q, beautiful woman she is, does not look like an athlete. The woman in the new Tomb Raider might still be like 120 pounds, but at least she was fit as hell. That movie had some really good action scenes that didn't blow her fighting ability out of proportion.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User

Eh, it wasn't World War Z.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

The new Robin Hood movie is exactly as I had figured it would be; a wildly-implausible, wtf-is-that-costuming, video-game-esque romp. Sort of a cross between "A Knight's Tale" and "The Hunger Games" but without any of the gravitas of the latter. But it was silly fun and I enjoyed it.

I mean, I've never seen the equivalent of a car chase with a coach and six, you know?

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    I mean, I've never seen the equivalent of a car chase with a coach and six, you know?
    You never saw Willow?

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    For your viewing pleasure
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Of course I've seen Willow. Val Kilmer's best role ever. But that's just one simple cart and a team. The bit I'm talking about has the equivalent of a car chase, just the drivers are each possessed of a coach and six. Oh, and the icing on the cake is that the chase winds up (though just ahorse) on some wood scaffolding above the city streets.

• Page 170 of 189 FirstFirst ... 70120151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189 LastLast