Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    The movie wasn't bad. The book was better.

"Aren't you...famous?"
    (nods and grins) "Used 'ta be."
    I'll be looking to pick up the book soon, especially since I noticed more than a few parallels to the first three Emberverse novels in the movie. Petty totally played the (natural) role of an easygoing musician stoner type. Seems like his enclave was fairly pacifist, so not sure exactly how they survived the apocalypse other than by being close to natural resources and/or exceedingly lucky.

I think next on my apocalyptic viewing list will be the "Escape From..." duology. I watched the first episode of "Jericho" and am mildly intrigued, though usually the whole nuclear-apocalypse thing is pretty distasteful to me.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    I think next on my apocalyptic viewing list will be the "Escape From..." duology.
    I've said this before... but I wouldn't exactly call them post-apoc*. Everywhere that isn't in the prison cities is pretty well off.

*Escape from LA Spoilers:
    Spoiler:

At least not until the end of the second movie. A third movie would have to be in a post-electronic apocalypse.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

I believe Escape From NY is a straight early 80s badass macho action flick. Escape From LA is a 90s satirical redux of the original by its own writer/director! The first sincerely believes in its own awesomeness, the latter is self-mockingly ironic.
    Last edited by howandwhy99; August 20th, 2018 at 11:28 PM.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm really enjoying Babylon Berlin, although, one might suspect George RR Martin in the background, based on the propensity for killing off some of my favorite characters. I believe it's been renewed for a third season. Sieg Heil!
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Not sure if I mentioned it... but Better Call Saul is back.

Anyone watched Ozark? I'm 5 episodes in, I cannot say I'm hooked (yet), but everything is solid (acting, dialogue...etc). Started watching due to Jason Bateman.

In my ongoing quest to flesh out my post-apocalyptic genre knowledge, tonight's viewing was "Doomsday". I found and downloaded this movie based purely on a Pinterest shot for some post-apoc makeup.

OH MY GOD PLEASE TELL ME THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A COMEDY PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

So laughably bad. So much inane. And impossibly goofy things stacked in layers upon layers of goofy impossible things. It goes like this:

SCOTLAND BASICALLY DIES. Send in government operative Badass Chick.

NOW IT'S ALL MAD MAX! WOOOO!!! MOHAWKS! LOTS OF MOHAWKS! ALSO, RITUAL CANNIBALISM! (Set to an impromptu-burlesque performance to "Good Thing" by the Fine Young Cannibals, I shit you not.)

Run away from Weegies Being Weegies to the countryside! Run away! Run! BE SILLY. Hey look, castles and shit!

NOW IT'S ALL MEDIEVAL LAND FUN TIMES!! WOOOO! GLADIATORS!! SILLY ARMOR!! FEUDALISM! BAD COSTUMING! Ok, fight the bad guy(s) in a hilarious fashion. Now RUN AWAY AGAIN BACK THE WAY YOU CAME!

BACK TO MAD MAX!! TIME FOR A MOTHERFUCKING EPICALLY SILLY CAR CHASE! WOOOO! EXPLOSIONS!

Mix this all together, overseason liberally with horribly bad dialogue (please, this *HAD* to have been ironically written, right? RIGHT?!?!), dump in 50 times the RDA of gratuitious (AND SILLY) gore and death, simmer on high so all the literally-laugh-out-loud hilariously silliness can marinate and seep into everything like a really bad stain.

Then pour THE ENTIRE STEAMING THING DOWN YOUR THROAT. Embrace bad taste and chug it all down, savoring the blistering pain and scalding your throat gets.

Zero stars. I am not even shitting you. Ok, maybe an eighth of a star. That's only for the punk/MadMax costuming and some of the rigs, because that was ludicrous, giggle-worthy fun.

This WAS a comedy, right?!?

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    This WAS a comedy, right?!?
    It was pretty woo... but no, I think they meant it to be a serious movie.

NOW IT'S ALL MAD MAX! WOOOO!!!

NOW IT'S ALL MEDIEVAL LAND FUN TIMES!! WOOOO!

TIME FOR A MOTHERFUCKING EPICALLY SILLY CAR CHASE! WOOOO!
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    It was pretty woo...

Bojack Horseman Season 5 is out.

Highly recommended if you think you feel to good or something.

Seriously, great season.

Ooooh. This looks good. Very dystopian-future, Orwellian-via-aliens sort of thing. Based on what I've seen so far, I'm down.

Maniac on Netflix is pretty cool.
    Two strangers (Emma Stone and Jonah Hill) are drawn to a mysterious pharmaceutical trial that will, they're assured, with no complications or side-effects whatsoever, solve all of their problems, permanently. Things do not go as planned.
    If you like things to be a bit weird, and feeling sometimes a bit lost on what's really going on, if you like alternate reality stories, 80s retrofuture tech, or if you like Emma Stone and Jonah Hill proving their acting chops, if you liked a show like Legion (but can do without superpowers), this could be one for you, too.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    Maniac on Netflix is pretty cool.

If you like things to be a bit weird, and feeling sometimes a bit lost on what's really going on, if you like alternate reality stories, 80s retrofuture tech, or if you like Emma Stone and Jonah Hill proving their acting chops, if you liked a show like Legion (but can do without superpowers), this could be one for you, too.
    It sounds awful
    I like hats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    You mean that review made it sound awful? Since I've already seen it, they won't sway my opinion.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    You mean that review made it sound awful? Since I've already seen it, they won't sway my opinion.
    Yes, the review made it sound awful, and your review when combined with that review...makes it sound awful. To me, given my tastes. Weird, lost on what's going on, and like Legion without the superpowers (which to me is the most interesting part of that show) does not sound appealing.
    I like hats.

• Page 167 of 189 FirstFirst ... 67117148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186 ... LastLast