Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Because he's obviously a cyborg?
    Who, spoilers, has lungs.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    New Hampshire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    ...Because he's obviously a cyborg?
    On the subject of cyborgs, I just watched the original 1973 pilot episode of The Six Million Dollar Man, based on the novel Cyborg. Compared to the series that followed, it was not very good. Poor pacing, and Darren McGavin as the rich SOB who financed it did not help. Far less action than what we later saw, and tons of time spent dealing with his PTSD from the accident. They also originally had Steve Austin as an anti-authority loose cannon civilian, rather than a former Colonel. Thankfully they cleaned that up by the second pilot, which then introduced Oscar Goldman as his supervisor.

Because he's obviously a cyborg?
    Looked fully droid so far, but meh. Seems silly if you're going to go with being mostly machine that you'd not want to have the weak link of actual lungs to keep your fleshy bits alive, but I guess I shouldn't have any expectations of decent writing/storylines with this trilogy.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

The End of the Fucking World appeared on Netflix this week, and I watched it yesterday evening and this morning. Pretty awesome in a fucked up way, Black Humor to Dark Seriousness, telling the story of two teenage protagonists that run away together.
    It's 8 episodes, each about 20 minutes, so the total run time is basically like a long a movie and it certainly can be binge-watched well.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Looked fully droid so far, but meh. Seems silly if you're going to go with being mostly machine that you'd not want to have the weak link of actual lungs to keep your fleshy bits alive, but I guess I shouldn't have any expectations of decent writing/storylines with this trilogy.
    Just pretend the episodes 1-3 didn't happen. You'll be happier. Rogue One is a much better film.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

the sandwich is next! SeatownJay's Avatar
    Province
    In my own mind
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Took my boys to go see the new Jumanji movie. It was pleasantly entertaining and had a neat callback to the first movie.
    space for rent

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownJay View Post
    Took my boys to go see the new Jumanji movie. It was pleasantly entertaining and had a neat callback to the first movie.
    I enjoyed Jumanji considerably more than Last Jedi. What a strange world.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Black Lightning is, "OMFG, they actually decided to air this?" bad. Do not watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Black Lightning is, "OMFG, they actually decided to air this?" bad. Do not watch.
    I doubt it needs to be said, but do not listen to Kzach.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    I've heard of blaxpoitation before, but the pilot seemed more an example of blaxposition, with stuff like a public speaking listing all the achievements about the main character and the main character's sisters off a list... I guess that's pilot episode problems.

The weakest part in the story to me was that of the apparently retarded criminal guy that kidnapped the sisters. What kind of dumbfuck plan was that? And I fear the electroshock therapy by the black lightning might have gone too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    I've heard of blaxpoitation before, but the pilot seemed more an example of blaxposition, with stuff like a public speaking listing all the achievements about the main character and the main character's sisters off a list... I guess that's pilot episode problems.
    Characters in the pilot were Pierce's daughters and ex-wife; he wasn't shown to have any sisters.

I'm going to hope it was pilot episode problems and will tone down somewhat going forward, but I'm afraid do expect to hear more of the older daughter's brilliance/talent/achievements/whatever before that happens; I think it will be part of her conflict surrounding the realization that she has superpowers herself. That's going to be interesting because at this point, she doesn't know her dad is Black Lightning, so she has no idea where this is coming from or who she can talk to about it.

The weakest part in the story to me was that of the apparently retarded criminal guy that kidnapped the sisters. What kind of dumbfuck plan was that? And I fear the electroshock therapy by the black lightning might have gone too far.
    <shrug> Some people are stupid. Criminal guy is one of them. It did look like the "EST" may have been overmuch, but we'll see. I'm sure the cops agree with you. I need to see more. But I'm someone who bitched constantly about Oliver Queen routinely killing bad guys for a year or two, then deciding "I'm not going to do that any more" and having everyone around him -- including a cop and a DA -- give him a pass on all those killings and revere him as a hero because he quit doing it.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I enjoyed Black Lightning better than I expected for a pilot. I think not being in the immediate Arrowverse helps it.

We'll see what happens when they move past the pilot though.

Who??

I just heard the other morning from the DJs on the local morning show that we're FINALLY supposed to be getting The Shape of Water in local theatres either this week or next. They also mentioned something about it not having been here already because there were a limited number of copies released to theatres (even *after* the limited-release period), mystery solved about why it hadn't been around.

Damn theatre better be accepting the movie passes on this one. That business with The Last Jedi was utter bullshit.

Characters in the pilot were Pierce's daughters and ex-wife; he wasn't shown to have any sisters.
    Yeah, I meant daughters.

Ooooh, looking at the local listings, I just found that "Hostiles" is playing. Hadn't heard of it till now, but checked out the preview and I definitely want to go see that. Looks to be done well so far; one of the things I noticed was that he was holding a period-accurate beavertail dagger.

• Page 160 of 189 FirstFirst ... 60110141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179 ... LastLast