Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    You know what's a really good sci-fi series on TV right now? Travelers. Hoping it gets renewed for a third season. Season finale of season 2 next week.
    I have been enjoying it, too. I've run out of compelling tv to watch late at night. Open to suggestions.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Brimstone.

Fairly good movie.
    Ah yes, that's it. Haven't watched it yet, just started "The Huntsman; Winter's War" (mainly because someone mentioned it for my Frostfall/snowfae costume), and the first episode of "Godless", so I probably ought to finish those first.

And season 4 of Orphan Black.

And, um, all the other stuff I've half-assed started watching and either sort of lost interest or just haven't gotten round to finishing yet.

fire fire dragonfire
    searing words and ancient ire
    wake wake from the grave
    rise to set the world aflame

night night endless night
    terror is the only light
    bane bane rage untamed
    darkness dwells in age-old blame

Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I watched the first episode of The Travelers last night. Does the pace pick up in subsequent episodes?
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

Hmm. I honestly can't tell, because I basically binge-watched the first episodes. I was late to the party, but I found it a party worth visiting.

I seem to remember that the first episode is really setting up the whole crew. I think they are also careful in that episode to not reveal too much about the setting to ease you more into it.
    There is definitely a lot of development and "stuff" happening in the next episodes, and the seasons are short.

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    Hmm. I honestly can't tell, because I basically binge-watched the first episodes. I was late to the party, but I found it a party worth visiting.

I seem to remember that the first episode is really setting up the whole crew. I think they are also careful in that episode to not reveal too much about the setting to ease you more into it.
    There is definitely a lot of development and "stuff" happening in the next episodes, and the seasons are short.
    That's pretty accurate. It does a decent job of character and plot development, but that can come across a bit slow.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Just saw the first episode of Godless. It's a promising start.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

the sandwich is next! SeatownJay's Avatar
    Province
    In my own mind
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    Just saw the first episode of Godless. It's a promising start.
    I watched it last week. It has some slow moments but overall I thought it was pretty good.
    space for rent

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Just got done watching "Bright", the movie about an orcish cop in LA. Excellent stuff, brilliantly funny in places, and a pretty damn good entrance for urban fantasy to the big screen. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now maybe the right studio & production folks will be inspired to revisit an attempt to bring the Dresden files to either a TV or movie series.

fire fire dragonfire
    wake wake from the grave

terror is the only light
    bane bane rage untamed

It really felt to me like a shadowrun-movie done right.
    I hope they make a netflix-series out of it!
    Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Huh. My other message boards are panning it. I'll probably catch it in a few days and figure which side is right, the "it was pretty terrible" or "it was really good".
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Huh. My other message boards are panning it. I'll probably catch it in a few days and figure which side is right, the "it was pretty terrible" or "it was really good".
    Definitely make your own mind up about it, I wouldn't worry about what other people are saying.

I've heard other people mention the shadowrun connection; since I have zero familiarity with it, what's a good place to start?

fire fire dragonfire
    wake wake from the grave

terror is the only light
    bane bane rage untamed

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    I've heard other people mention the shadowrun connection; since I have zero familiarity with it, what's a good place to start?
    Shadowrun is an RPG. Cyberpunk/Fantasy mash-up. It's very much a "What if Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, Orcs, and magic were to return to the world of Neuromancer?"

Like imagine a Borderlands and Cyberpunk story crashed into each other. Kinda.

In this case I suspect it's the social-political tension between the humans and non-humans, cops and criminals, and the magic and fae that are giving it the "Shadowrun" feel for some people.

I didn't get that vibe from the trailers, but then to me Shadowrun is all about the run, the group of operators that are doing crime against some mega-corp, sleezing out a tenuous existence on the fringe between complete lawlessness and law-abiding society.... and not so much the social tensions (to me that is backdrop, not forefront). To me the trailers felt like a gritty Borderlands/Action Cop mashup.

If you want to pick up a few novels from your local library I'd look for Neat and Shaken: No Job Too Small, by Russel Zimmerman. He's a good author and an awful lot of Shadowrun novels are awful.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Shadowrun is an RPG. Cyberpunk/Fantasy mash-up. It's very much a "What if Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, Orcs, and magic were to return to the world of Neuromancer?"

Like imagine a Borderlands and Cyberpunk story crashed into each other. Kinda.
    I am generally not so keen on the whole cyberpunk thing, but overall it is piquing my interest, since I love the whole Borderlands thing, as well as Mercedes Lackey's "Born to Run" series and the "Bedlam Bards" series, which I would also classify as urban fantasy.

I didn't get that vibe from the trailers, but then to me Shadowrun is all about the run, the group of operators that are doing crime against some mega-corp, sleezing out a tenuous existence on the fringe between complete lawlessness and law-abiding society.... and not so much the social tensions (to me that is backdrop, not forefront). To me the trailers felt like a gritty Borderlands/Action Cop mashup.
    That last is not wholly inaccurate, but there is also a more overarching story plot, full of prophecy and magic. I think a lot of people are whining about the supposed "SJW agenda", the thinly (or not at all)-veiled lessons about racial tesions and racism, but that didn't stand out too glaringly to me (being mostly backstory, backdrop, and part of the Reason Things Are This Way) because as you said, those familiar with Bordertown have already accepted that kind of thing as being the norm and aren't much fazed by it.

If you want to pick up a few novels from your local library I'd look for Neat and Shaken: No Job Too Small, by Russel Zimmerman. He's a good author and an awful lot of Shadowrun novels are awful.
    I will definitely look for those. Thanks!

fire fire dragonfire
    wake wake from the grave

terror is the only light
    bane bane rage untamed

I am certainly concerned about "SJW" limiting freedom of speech and losing the ability to actually discuss topics openly with people of differing opinions, but if someone wants to use some fantasy races as an allusion for real world racism or sexism, I'd say that's totally fine and can be helfpul. Sure, if the story told along that is not compelling, the story is not compelling, but then you can certainly point out more specifics...

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    I am certainly concerned about "SJW" limiting freedom of speech and losing the ability to actually discuss topics openly with people of differing opinions, but if someone wants to use some fantasy races as an allusion for real world racism or sexism, I'd say that's totally fine and can be helfpul. Sure, if the story told along that is not compelling, the story is not compelling, but then you can certainly point out more specifics...
    Bright attacks some of the SJW tropes as well. I thought it dealt with the topic pretty well without going to far in one direction or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

• Page 158 of 174 FirstFirst ... 58108139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174 LastLast