Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

  1. #2311
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,277

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Next Avengers movie, Thanos, a super powerer alien conqueror, is invading Earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Almost all the Marvel Universe movies have some sort of tie-in to the overarching plot that connects them all to Thanos and the Infinity Stones. That was Thanos' coming to Earth to get all those stones to put on a gauntlet and rule the universe.
    Haven't heard of any of that other than I think that's what the one item in a past LootCrate was that got recalled; it was an oven mitt that had pretty much zero insulation and so people were burning the hell out of themselves when they tried to use it. A yellow glove with big gemstones on each finger?

    What was the glowy cube thing in Odin's treasure vault that both Loki and Hela were interested in? I got 5$ that says Loki stuck it in his pocket on his way out. Curious as to just how he got out of Surtr's fiery rampage of destruction, too.

    I could have done with some longer scenes of Chris Hemsworth with only a towel on. Oh, and bring the long blonde hair back, please.

    Wasn't very impressed with Hopkins' role as Odin. Maybe a C- at best.

    fire fire dragonfire
    searing words and ancient ire
    wake wake from the grave
    rise to set the world aflame

    night night endless night
    terror is the only light
    bane bane rage untamed
    darkness dwells in age-old blame

 

  • #2312
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    A yellow glove with big gemstones on each finger?
    Yes, that's the one. There are numerous after/mid credit scenes in the other movies that involve Thanos, and preview the glove and his machinations. I think the only direct tie-in to any of the characters is in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies (best ones of the lot, IMO), where Thanos is actually featured in the movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    What was the glowy cube thing in Odin's treasure vault that both Loki and Hela were interested in? I got 5$ that says Loki stuck it in his pocket on his way out.
    That was one of the infinity stones I believe, held within a tesseract. And yes, it's pretty much a given that Loki stole it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #2313
    There are six infinity stones, all of which can be fitted into the Infinity Gauntlet -- one on each finger and one on the back of the hand. Each stone represents a different aspect of the universe (Space, Mind, Reality, Power, Soul, and Time.) For some reason, in the Marvel movies they tend not to have the appearance of gemstones. So far we have seen:

    The Tesseract (aka the Space Stone; a glowing blue cube) - Loki has this
    Captain America: First Avenger (2011), Thor (2011), The Avengers (2012), Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

    The Aether (aka the Reality Sytone, a dark red viscous liquid) - in the possession of an ancient cosmic entity, The Collector
    Thor: The Dark World (2013)

    The Chitauri Scepter (aka the Mind Stone; a yellow teardrop shaped gem) - this was implanted in the Vision's forehead when Tony Stark created him
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

    The Orb (aka the Power Stone, a purple oval gemstone) - in the possession of the Nova Corps on planet Xandar
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

    The Eye of Agamotto (aka the Time Stone, a mystic amulet) - Dr. Strange has this
    Dr. Strange (2016)

    The Soul Stone will presumably appear in Avengers: Infinity War (2018); it has been suggested that its color is orange.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

  • #2314
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,548

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    The Soul Stone will presumably appear in Avengers: Infinity War (2018); it has been suggested that its color is orange.
    It's been suggested/hypothesized that it was/is a part of Heimdallr's armor and what allows him to scan the 8 Realms connected to Valhalla via the Bifrost.

    Haven't yet seen Thor Raggy-rock so...
    I wouldn't even censor you.

  • #2315
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,277

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    There are six infinity stones, all of which can be fitted into the Infinity Gauntlet -- one on each finger and one on the back of the hand. Each stone represents a different aspect of the universe (Space, Mind, Reality, Power, Soul, and Time.) For some reason, in the Marvel movies they tend not to have the appearance of gemstones. So far we have seen:

    The Tesseract (aka the Space Stone; a glowing blue cube) - Loki has this
    Captain America: First Avenger (2011), Thor (2011), The Avengers (2012), Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

    The Aether (aka the Reality Sytone, a dark red viscous liquid) - in the possession of an ancient cosmic entity, The Collector
    Thor: The Dark World (2013)

    The Chitauri Scepter (aka the Mind Stone; a yellow teardrop shaped gem) - this was implanted in the Vision's forehead when Tony Stark created him
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

    The Orb (aka the Power Stone, a purple oval gemstone) - in the possession of the Nova Corps on planet Xandar
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

    The Eye of Agamotto (aka the Time Stone, a mystic amulet) - Dr. Strange has this
    Dr. Strange (2016)

    The Soul Stone will presumably appear in Avengers: Infinity War (2018); it has been suggested that its color is orange.
    Geesh, that's a lot of movies to catch up on. Haven't seen any of those, though I was intrigued with Dr. Strange. I'm assuming he has control over time/possibilities/reality, based on his latest appearance.

    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Haven't yet seen Thor Raggy-rock so...
    Now I want to see a spoof called "Thor: Fraggle-Rock".

    fire fire dragonfire
    searing words and ancient ire
    wake wake from the grave
    rise to set the world aflame

    night night endless night
    terror is the only light
    bane bane rage untamed
    darkness dwells in age-old blame

  • #2316
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,548

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Now I want to see a spoof called "Thor: Fraggle-Rock".
    Dance your cares away
    World's ending comes today
    Loki's here to stay
    Down at Ragnarok

    Fight your cares away
    Fenrir ate the moon today
    Here the Ćsir play
    We're Thor Syn Baldr Vali Tyr Hlín
    Fight the Giant's away

    World's ending comes today
    Loki's here to stay
    Down at Ragnarok

    Down at Ragnarok
    I wouldn't even censor you.

  • #2317
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    It's been suggested/hypothesized that it was/is a part of Heimdall's armor and what allows him to scan the 8 Realms connected to Valhalla via the Bifrost.

    Haven't yet seen Thor Raggy-rock so...
    Thor: Ragnarok offered no information on the nature/location/current possessor of the Soul Stone, other than to disprove one other Internet theory I'd heard -- that it had been hidden behind Odin's eyepatch all this time and was the source of the Odin Power.

    But the reason the Collector has one of the "stones" is that it was decided it was unwise to have two stones in close proximity in Asgard (the Tesseract and the Aether), so I'd guess that despite Heimdall's orange eyes, he probably doesn't have the orange Soul Stone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Geesh, that's a lot of movies to catch up on. Haven't seen any of those, though I was intrigued with Dr. Strange. I'm assuming he has control over time/possibilities/reality, based on his latest appearance.
    Well, you don't have to see all of them by any means, especially not for information on the infinity stones. Opinions will vary wildly on this, but IMHO Thor: The Dark World (2013), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) and Dr. Strange (2016) are the least important to the overall story arc building to Infinity War. That would cut your catch up list from nine movies to five.

    Don't get me wrong, Dr. Strange in particular is a very enjoyable movie on its own, but all you really need to know about Dr. Strange for his later appearances in the Infinity Wars plot arc is that he is Earth's Sorcerer Supreme, a Master of the Mystic Arts, and that his amulet, the Eye of Agamotto, allows him to manipulate time. It's not something he does lightly, but it's used to good effect in his movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Now I want to see a spoof called "Thor: Fraggle-Rock".
    I would totally watch that.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

  • #2318
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) and Dr. Strange (2016) are the least important to the overall story arc building to Infinity War.
    So GotG, the movie that directly deals with one of the Infinity Stones and directly features Thanos and two of his "daughters", who is directly trying to get the Infinity Stone that the movie centres around, and the Guardians who will feature in the Infinity War movies, isn't important to the Infinity War story arc?

    Wot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #2319
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,277

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Dance your cares away
    World's ending comes today
    Loki's here to stay
    Down at Ragnarok

    Fight your cares away
    Fenrir ate the moon today
    Here the Ćsir play
    We're Thor Syn Baldr Vali Tyr Hlín
    Fight the Giant's away

    World's ending comes today
    Loki's here to stay
    Down at Ragnarok

    Down at Ragnarok


    Dammit, out of denari for you at the moment. Someone cover me?


    Although technically, Fenrir isn't the one eating the moon, but Hati.
    Last edited by Palaralae; November 6th, 2017 at 03:39 AM.

    fire fire dragonfire
    searing words and ancient ire
    wake wake from the grave
    rise to set the world aflame

    night night endless night
    terror is the only light
    bane bane rage untamed
    darkness dwells in age-old blame

  • #2320
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,548

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Although technically, Fenrir isn't the one eating the moon, but Hati.
    Eh, I couldn't remember which wolf ate the moon (Hati), which one killed Odin (Fenrir or Garmr*), which one ate the Sun (Skoll), and which one couldn't be arsed to check (it's a me-o).




    * Of the two it's probably Garmr. I mean he'll just be sitting there going "garm-garm-garm-garm-garm-garm-garm" as he gnaws down on the one-eyed bastard...
    I wouldn't even censor you.

  • #2321
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    So GotG, the movie that directly deals with one of the Infinity Stones and directly features Thanos and two of his "daughters", who is directly trying to get the Infinity Stone that the movie centres around, and the Guardians who will feature in the Infinity War movies, isn't important to the Infinity War story arc?

    Wot?
    I did say opinions would vary wildly. For my money, GotG is a largely peripheral movie that naturally focuses on the Guardians themselves. It's not important to the overall multimovie plot who Thanos's daughter are, or that he even has daughters. Thanos's appearance in GotG does nothing except establish that he wants the orb/power stone.

    For someone who hasn't seen this movie, you could literally say "There's a Big Alien Bad Guy named Thanos who wants all the infinity stones; you'll see him in Avengers: Infinity War next year", and that person is caught up.

    Full disclosure: I'm closer to 60 years old than 50; "my" GotG are the 70's version, and as silly as they may have been, their 2008 reimagining is, to me, a complete embarrassment.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

  • #2322
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,277

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Eh, I couldn't remember which wolf ate the moon (Hati), which one killed Odin (Fenrir or Garmr*), which one ate the Sun (Skoll), and which one couldn't be arsed to check (it's a me-o).


    * Of the two it's probably Garmr. I mean he'll just be sitting there going "garm-garm-garm-garm-garm-garm-garm" as he gnaws down on the one-eyed bastard...
    Yeah, evidence is sparse/conflicting, and the jury is out as to whether Garm and Fenris are the same critter, since Norse literature is fond of the whole multiple-name thing. I personally think they're not. Barking at Odin whilst hanging around with Hel is one thing, being slated as Odin's (im)mortal enemy and fated doom is quite another.


    ...an axe age, a sword age
    shields are riven
    a wind age, a wolf age
    ere the world falls headlong...


    I've never understood the supposed Great Enmity between Fenrir & Tyr that some people seem to infer, either. Tyr was the one taking care of Fenrir when everybody else was starting to shun him, and the whole hand-in-the-mouth was a show not only of bravery, but trust.

    fire fire dragonfire
    searing words and ancient ire
    wake wake from the grave
    rise to set the world aflame

    night night endless night
    terror is the only light
    bane bane rage untamed
    darkness dwells in age-old blame

  • #2323
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,548

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    I've never understood the supposed Great Enmity between Fenrir & Tyr that some people seem to infer, either. Tyr was the one taking care of Fenrir when everybody else was starting to shun him, and the whole hand-in-the-mouth was a show not only of bravery, but trust.
    Yeah... and then Tyr lost his hand when the gods refused to unbind Gleipnir from Fenrir, for he had lied.

    No bones, Fenrir hates Tyr most of all for his was a trust completely broken.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

  • #2324
    I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    26,239

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Thor: Ragnarok offered no information on the nature/location/current possessor of the Soul Stone, other than to disprove one other Internet theory I'd heard -- that it had been hidden behind Odin's eyepatch all this time and was the source of the Odin Power.

    But the reason the Collector has one of the "stones" is that it was decided it was unwise to have two stones in close proximity in Asgard (the Tesseract and the Aether), so I'd guess that despite Heimdall's orange eyes, he probably doesn't have the orange Soul Stone.
    It could have been in the melting staff.

  • #2325
    Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    It could have been in the melting staff.
    Could be. It did have an orange stone, didn't it?

    Apparently there's also a lot of speculation recently that it's in Wakanda, and we'll either find that out or have it strongly hinted at in Black Panther.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

  • Page 155 of 174 FirstFirst ... 55105136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •