Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I thought about watching that, and decided against it as I'm almost certainly gonna marathon the show the weekend it comes out.

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Did Jon Arbuckle drink dog semen? https://www.avclub.com/garfield-crea...har-1819690890

Patriot on Amazon Prime is great. If you're into a weird mix of John Le Carré, (Black) Comedy and Melancholy, you'll like it.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    Patriot on Amazon Prime is great. If you're into a weird mix of John Le Carré, (Black) Comedy and Melancholy, you'll like it.
    Sounds good, thanks for pointing it out.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Spot the fake news:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Spot the fake news:

I say this as a fan of Handler, whose shows I've watched for many years, on and off.

The problem here Kzach is you failed to ask the essential questions if you wanted to get to a more objective bottom to the question you posed. You should be asking, "What were the shows ratings?" and "Did it receive critical acclaim or not" if you wanted to know which headline was accurate.

Instead you looked at "CNN" and "Fox" and drew a conclusion purely based on your prejudice regarding those sources.

If you had asked those questions, you likely would have found this Salon article. Which spells out how the show was not a success, and how that's likely at least a major component of this cancellation. The show was never embraced by critics, had run into lots of behind the scenes troubles according to the Hollywood Reporter article on that issue, never found it's grove, and was troubled by technical format and distribution issues.

That you would swallow Handler's excuses without question for why her sixth show is either cancelled or shuttered is unsurprising. You don't critically think very often these days since Trump was elected. But logically, I think it's safe to assume there is more to this than just her decision to pursue activism. The show was not succeeding, at least the way she hoped it would have, and that played a major role in this cancellation.
    I like hats.

Hmmmm....do I really need to see any/all of the other Thor movies (I haven't seen any) if I want to go see Thor:Ragnarok?

Asking because I'm curious as to how they'll portray Hel/Hela, and being vastly intrigued with her headdress* is about 90% of my interest in going to see it.

*it may relate to a future headdress sort of thing I want to do for a different character's headgear.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Hmmmm....do I really need to see any/all of the other Thor movies (I haven't seen any) if I want to go see Thor:Ragnarok?

Asking because I'm curious as to how they'll portray Hel/Hela, and being vastly intrigued with her headdress* is about 90% of my interest in going to see it.

*it may relate to a future headdress sort of thing I want to do for a different character's headgear.
    Not really. They were all pretty shit and the plot of this one doesn't really require any knowledge of them to appreciate. You might be a little confused at the start due to the relationship of Thor & Loki, as well as the significance of certain events like how/why Hulk is where he is, and Odin's treasure chamber, and the cube and a few other little details that you'll probably miss and not understand from not having seen the entire Marvel Universe array of movies, but on the whole, you should still get the gist of most of it.

Having said that, are you really so busy that the Avengers movies and Thor movies aren't worth sitting through? Even at their worst, they're still generally better than most sci-fi movies out there. I'd still rate them higher than the Transformers movies, for instance.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post

Having said that, are you really so busy that the Avengers movies and Thor movies aren't worth sitting through? Even at their worst, they're still generally better than most sci-fi movies out there. I'd still rate them higher than the Transformers movies, for instance.
    Yes.

Honestly, most movie/TV stuff just sort of doesn't ever really show up on my radar because A) I don't have TV in the house, B)I don't go to movies that much and so previews for other stuff don't show up on my radar. Also if I have (likely) missed the first in a series, I'm disinclined to go to sequels before I see the first one, which I usually never get round to doing.

Unless it's something related to music, books, or something I already love, I usually don't even hear about it for the most part. I won a bunch of free movie passes with the first contest I took my Raven Queen getup to, though, so I won't be wasting any money if I go to Thor:Ragnarok. I'll likely go, because I really do want to see Hela.

I'm also warily wincing in advance to see how badly they alter/butcher Nordic mythology, even realizing it's comic-book Nordic mythology.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Eh.

All it'll do is give is a solid grasp on this particular take on the dysfunctional family life of Thor and Loki and Thor's relationship with Jane Foster. You can probably safely skip them.

I'm also warily wincing in advance to see how badly they alter/butcher Nordic mythology, even realizing it's comic-book Nordic mythology.
    I'm pretty sure almost zero mythology was used in the making of the comics... and the movies are faithful in that regard to the comics...
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

For the most part, no. You might miss some details of the relationship and backstory between Loki and Thor, but for the most part, that is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    For the most part, no. You might miss some details of the relationship and backstory between Loki and Thor, but for the most part, that is irrelevant.
    It wasn't bad, I'd call it a fun romp.

I did like Hela's headdress, and am tempted to try to make it just to see if I can, and how good a job I can do. That's probably gonna have to be Worbla, though, and I haven't really messed with that yet because it's expensive.

Was the deal at the end credits with the weird ship something that you'd have to have seen the previous movies to get the reference to, or?
    Last edited by Palaralae; November 4th, 2017 at 06:06 AM.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    It wasn't bad, I'd call it a fun romp.

I did like Hela's headdress, and am tempted to try to make it just to see if I can, and how good a job I can do. That's probably gonna have to be Worbla, though, and I haven't really messed with that yet because it's expensive.

Was the deal at the end credits with the weird ship something that you'd have to have seen the previous movies to get the reference to, or?
    Next Avengers movie, Thanos, a super powerer alien conqueror, is invading Earth.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Almost all the Marvel Universe movies have some sort of tie-in to the overarching plot that connects them all to Thanos and the Infinity Stones. That was Thanos' coming to Earth to get all those stones to put on a gauntlet and rule the universe.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

I really liked how you could take almost every scene of the movie and make a (heavy metal) album cover out of it.
    Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance.

• Page 154 of 189 FirstFirst ... 54104135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173 ... LastLast