Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    The Orville isn't as bad as the reviews make it out to be. It has potential that I think the pilot couldn't realize.
    I have no idea how bad the reviews are... but after two episodes I'm not sure I care to see a third.

I probably will, but only to see if it keeps getting better (2 was better than 1, but only marginally).
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I have no idea how bad the reviews are... but after two episodes I'm not sure I care to see a third.

I probably will, but only to see if it keeps getting better (2 was better than 1, but only marginally).
    I mean, it's no Galaxy Quest or Red Dwarf or Other Space, but I like the genre enough to keep watching a bit. Btw, if you've not seen Other Space (and I wouldn't be surprised, it was on Yahoo's failed streaming tv platform), give it a go. It would have gotten a season 2 by now if it had been on a platform that didn't tank, and as I understand it, the creator, Paul Feig, is still trying to find someone to buy the rights.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I don't know if I'm gonna like the movie, but that actress has got me.. excited. The Ex-Machina robot got muscles.

edit: MUSCLES https://youtu.be/oWXq7mKcx5s?t=118
    Her tits aren't big enough.

Also, Orville isn't very good but it's no worse than any B-grade sci-fi shite that most people orgasm over and write petitions to save so I'll keep watching. Plus, Halston Sage is a hottie.

Although, something to keep in mind: watch Orville and then watch Rick 'n Morty. I fucking swear that Harmon has some sort-of inside knowledge of Orville episodes because there are some extremely convenient jokes being made that could easily be interpreted as taking a direct shot at the Orville episodes being played on the same day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I mean, it's no Galaxy Quest or Red Dwarf or Other Space, but I like the genre enough to keep watching a bit.
    For me, I need more than just 'liking the genre'. But I did give Killjoys a whole season...

I'll probably keep watching ti as there is nothing making me say "I hate that part", but likewise there is scant little I'm seeing as "I like that part". Meh.

Btw, if you've not seen Other Space (and I wouldn't be surprised, it was on Yahoo's failed streaming tv platform), give it a go.
    I'll see about giving it a shot.

Preview for the new Tomb Raider (I never bothered seeing any of the other ones, tho) looks like it'd be a fun romp.

I noticed immediately that she's using a weird draw on that bow, though. Sort of an oddball hybrid between a pinch draw and a Mediterranean draw.

Archery nerds gonna nerd.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Preview for the new Tomb Raider (I never bothered seeing any of the other ones, tho) looks like it'd be a fun romp.

I noticed immediately that she's using a weird draw on that bow, though. Sort of an oddball hybrid between a pinch draw and a Mediterranean draw.

Archery nerds gonna nerd.
    That hews closely to the plots of the recent ganes, which are outstanding. Same bad guys, which are actually pretty decent Nazi stand ins, being religious zealots bent on world domination for the good of mankind. I'm deciding to be very interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    For me, I need more than just 'liking the genre'.
    It's because you hate fun and can't just turn your brain off and enjoy things.

;p
    I like hats.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    It's because you hate fun and can't just turn your brain off and enjoy things.
    Yes, I find being unable to disengage critical thinking hampers my 'fun' a lot.

It is a disability in this world.

;P
    ;D

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yes, I find being unable to disengage critical thinking hampers my 'fun' a lot.
    Hahahahahahahahahaa.

Christ almighty. I bet you couldn't even define critical thinking. You're the epitome of Dunning-Fucking-Kruger, you dumb shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Yes, fit is hot. There's a woman where I work whose physical regimen includes kickboxing and bow hunting. One really appreciates the effect.

I think the only thing I've seen Vikander in is Ex Machina.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Yes, fit is hot. There's a woman where I work whose physical regimen includes kickboxing and bow hunting. One really appreciates the effect.

She won an Academy Award for some Oscar bait shit about transgender artists. Goes to show that a movie about the Left's current favorite incredibly rare social issue outweighs the pressing need to really think about AI safety and the question of artificial consciousness. Also the AI movie is like 90 something on Rotten Tomatoes vs the transgender movie at like 60 something.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post

Did you miss U.N.C.L.E.? If so, it was pretty decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

She won an Academy Award for some Oscar bait shit about transgender artists. Goes to show that a movie about the Left's current favorite incredibly rare social issue outweighs the pressing need to really think about AI safety and the question of artificial consciousness. Also the AI movie is like 90 something on Rotten Tomatoes vs the transgender movie at like 60 something.
    Do you talk Elon Musk Horror Scenario / Skynet type Artificial Intelligence, or the actual type of AI we are capable of building?

Because as much as I like the Sci-Fi stories behind Skynet, Data or the Machine, the real thing to talk about would be the so called "AI" we actually have right now and is already influencing us, and will be influencing us more in the future. AI that might take jobs that seemed "safe" superflous. AI that might new levels of government surveillance possible, AI that makes anonyomity and privacy impossible, AI that drives electronic markets and can screw up the entire world if something goes wrong.

The AI that will murderize us all because it hates us is probably still far off. But the actual tech we have right now is barely discussed in popular media.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    (I never bothered seeing any of the other ones, tho) looks like it'd be a fun romp.
    They ain't that bad, and nice inspiration for some RPG action ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    Do you talk Elon Musk Horror Scenario / Skynet type Artificial Intelligence, or the actual type of AI we are capable of building?

Because as much as I like the Sci-Fi stories behind Skynet, Data or the Machine, the real thing to talk about would be the so called "AI" we actually have right now and is already influencing us, and will be influencing us more in the future. AI that might take jobs that seemed "safe" superflous. AI that might new levels of government surveillance possible, AI that makes anonyomity and privacy impossible, AI that drives electronic markets and can screw up the entire world if something goes wrong.

The AI that will murderize us all because it hates us is probably still far off. But the actual tech we have right now is barely discussed in popular media.
    I'm worried about technological unemployment, the AI arms race, misaligned superintelligence... AI doesn't need to hate us to murderize us. It just has to have a goal we don't agree with (even slightly off) and be far more competent, or be applied in a way that benefits either no one or only a small minority of the population, and we get some rather staggering dystopia.

Oh, and the possibility of creating a consciousness that super suffers. That's one of the worries of one of your countrymen, Thomas Metzinger.

Ex-Machina was exploring the concept of AI that doesn't want to be controlled (misaligned) and, if you listen to some of the interviews with the director, that is an unconscious intelligence. Highly capable, no one home, completely amoral.

And Elon Musk is merely acting on Nick Bostrom's ideas. People so eager to dismiss superintelligent AI need to read his book.

• Page 152 of 189 FirstFirst ... 52102133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171 ... LastLast