Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post

Good gods, man! What is wrong​ with you!?!?
    I have taste and notice when shows turn to absolute shit.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I have taste and notice when shows turn to absolute shit.
    You really, really don't and can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Season 3 of Fargo was of... considerably lower quality than seasons 1 and 2.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Season 3 of Fargo was of... considerably lower quality than seasons 1 and 2.
    That's... some serious binging. And, yes, but not because of the acting, which is superb, but the script wasn't tight and the villain was unrelatable, unlike the previous seasons. Professor Lupin chewed the scenery because he didn't really have anything else to do -- his motivations were utterly opaque. He was pretty moustache twirly, especially in comparison to the villains of the first 2 seasons, who, even if you hated them, were understandable.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    That's... some serious binging. And, yes, but not because of the acting, which is superb, but the script wasn't tight and the villain was unrelatable, unlike the previous seasons. Professor Lupin chewed the scenery because he didn't really have anything else to do -- his motivations were utterly opaque. He was pretty moustache twirly, especially in comparison to the villains of the first 2 seasons, who, even if you hated them, were understandable.
    I found him disgusting. Like, in a completely unentertaining way. Like he made me want to vomit. Most of his dialog was pretentious and not as sinister as he thought it was. But none of the characters really interested me, villains nor protagonists, nor the Fargoesq sorta normal, sorta loserish, flawed characters that get caught in the center.

And anymore I vastly prefer to binge TV. I think the only shows I'm watching in sorta real time are GoT, Rick and Morty, and Forged in Fire.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    https://discworld.com/rumoured-david...ns-good-omens/

Tennant will make an amazing Crowley.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Saw Dunkirk. Decent movie, I enjoyed it. Never really got a sense of the epic, though.
    Never really got a sense of the scale of the operation. While is said "one week" at the start, so implying the longest characters story took a whole week, it still felt at most he was a day there. While over 300,000 troops were rescued from Dunkirk, you never got a sense anywhere near that were evacuated.

It totally failed for me in that aspect.

On the other I enjoyed Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, which about half the critics seemed to hate.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; August 19th, 2017 at 11:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Watching Baywatch because it's free. They do this really weird thing where they cut to Alexandra Daddario and all she does is give an odd reaction to what's happening. It's not her fault, mind you, instead it's a really strange direction and editing choice. It's seriously odd, so much so, I actually recommend you watch it just to see how bizarre it is.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Just got back from seeing The Dark Tower.

While I'm only halfway through the book, the movie seems to be nothing like it. Disappointingly so. I was expecting more of the sort of grim, gritty, nigh-madness-inducing ambiance of the setting to come through. This movie seemed to have no real substance or story to it, really. Sigh.

Makes me wonder if the other Stephen King book-to-movie treatment (It) is also going to fail spectacularly, though the previews for that honestly look pretty horrifyingly good.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Makes me wonder if the other Stephen King book-to-movie treatment (It) is also going to fail spectacularly, though the previews for that honestly look pretty horrifyingly good.
    Apparently they're not going to have the scene where the preteen girl has sex with a bunch of preteen boys. So nail bunny refuses to watch it.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Just saw Fast & the Furious 8 and... well, pretty bullshit (to be expected), and I didn't like the car chase scenes all that much. Too... weird.

What really surprised me was the scene ...
    Spoiler:

where Cipher hacks all those cars... Don't they rely on the support of car companies for their filmmaking? The movie is basically telling everyone to no buy these new fancy cars with any automated or assistend driving features, because some hacker will steal your car and send it on a suicide mission, optionally with you inside.

(Which would probably never look like in the movie, but otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole lax security in the IoT and car software stays as it is, which it likely will since no one would be willing to pay the price for more secure stuff. The car industry is notorious for min/maxing the cost of everything, and most IoT devices must remain cheap because almost no one is going to buy a glass bulb at 10x the prize because he can remote control it while on vacation.)

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    New Hampshire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    What really surprised me was the scene ...
    I suspect that every few people make automobile purchasing choices based upon these movies.......

Although based on the 7th I am considering a Lykan HyperSport! :-)

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    The books are fantastic.

The mere fact they announced it while highlighting casting Dushku is a bad sign.

First, because the character she plays (The Lady) is barely even in the first book. Which means they've already signaled loud and clear this is not going to follow the books very well and will likely involve a heck of a lot more romance/sex than is in the books (or at least than is in the first book).

Second, because it's Dushku. Who, while not completely inept as an actor, is one dimensional. Which she demonstrated on Whedon's last show (Dollhouse) - where she was playing multiple characters which were all supposed to have different personalities and yet they all seemed to have pretty close to the same personality - the same one Dushku always plays in all the shit she is in going back to Buffy.

All of which tells me, while this could have been the next Game of Thrones for TV, it's more likely to be the next Shannara for TV.
    I like hats.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    All of which tells me, while this could have been the next Game of Thrones for TV, it's more likely to be the next Shannara for TV.
    Motherfucker. Now I'm pissed.

One, I read a Kzach post and clicked on a link he provided. Two someone's gonna fuck up The Black Company for tv.

And I'm not sure which one's pissing me off more.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

• Page 150 of 189 FirstFirst ... 50100131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169 ... LastLast