Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Oooh, I've seen that mentioned elsewhere. I think I need to read that, sounds like it's very much up my alley.
    It's a very American Neverwhere... excepts that its an anthology, not a single story by a single author.

My favorite installments are from the author Will Shetterly, particularly Elsewhere and Nevernever (while set in the "Bordertown" aren't actually part of Terri Windling's anthologies).
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    It's a very American Neverwhere... excepts that its an anthology, not a single story by a single author.

My favorite installments are from the author Will Shetterly, particularly Elsewhere and Nevernever (while set in the "Bordertown" aren't actually part of Terri Windling's anthologies).
    I just got to read some bits on a Google preview, and it's exactly up my alley. It's too bad the originals are out of print and a bit on the spendy side for a paperback. Seeing that there is a Dancing Ferret club in there made me grin in delight; that's an actual record label that does some very alternative, Goth-y music through which I've found multiple cool new bands.

One of the introductions mentions its influence and influences, one of which is Neil Gaima Stardust (ahem *pointed look*), since that also is very much about a literal Border town, and also Emma Bull's War For The Oaks which I went head over heels for.

I think I saw Terri Windling at a panel, once; she liked my question I asked her about various faery tale tropes. Or maybe it was Ellen Datlow; those two are permabound in my mind for the anthologies of modern faery tales they edited.

Edit: Have you read de Lint's stuff set in Newford? It is similarly excellent, but a bit more on the 'dreamy' side than gritty. There was also the shoutout to his influence and works in the introduction I read.
    Last edited by Palaralae; July 22nd, 2017 at 07:18 AM.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...n-2017-1023733

"There has been so many press articles about a backlash among the Doctor Who fandom about casting a female Doctor," Moffat said. "There has been no backlash at all. The story of the moment is that the notionally conservative Doctor Who fandom has utterly embraced that change completely. Eighty-percent approval on social media, not that I check these things obsessively. So many people wanting to pretend there is a problem. There isn't. It's been incredibly progressive and enlightened and that's what really happened. I wish every other journalist who is writing the alternative would shut the hell up." - Steven Moffat

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    My respect for Mr. Moffat has grown.

This is kinda how it felt to me. "Hey, this must really piss of the fans, let's write about how it pisses them off!"

Though naysayers for a new Doctor always exist - at the minimum because it means saying good bye to the previous one.
    Last edited by Mustrum_Ridcully; July 25th, 2017 at 08:03 PM.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    20% of a fandom is a very significant proportion. Downplaying or ignoring that is just as ridiculous as playing up and prioritising the backlash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    20% of a fandom is a very significant proportion. Downplaying or ignoring that is just as ridiculous as playing up and prioritising the backlash.
    It seems about equal to the people complaining Capaldi was too old, or even Matt Smith was too young.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    It seems about equal to the people complaining Capaldi was too old, or even Matt Smith was too young.
    Or that none of them are Tom Baker or John Pertwee.

Heck I bet there's even a decent chunk upset that the show continued on after William Hartnell.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Bullshit. 20% of Doctor Who fandom ALWAYS objects to the new Doctor, no matter what the circumstances, on a variety of grounds. Has there ever been more than 80% who were OK with the new Doctor announcement? Of course they should downplay the 20% who object - they're so far from the majority, and so in line with 13 other Doctor changes, that it's business as usual. I think 80% is actually high for Doctor-change approvals, which is the only real story there. It might mean the old Doctor wasn't that popular, it might mean the new Doctor is very popular, but there's more meaning there than 20% disapproval for this kind of topic. Particularly when a majority of articles written about the topic seemed to be about that 20%.
    I like hats.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    ... it might mean the new Doctor is very popular...
    I think it's a bit of "she did a really good job on Broadchurch"* and "OMG! FEMINISM WINS AGAIN!11! Take that PATRAIRCHY!112@!!"

* Or so I've heard. I haven't watched it, but it sounds like it's right up my alley... unfortunate it stars Tennant, didn't much like him in DW. Or maybe I just didn't cotton to the new show and it tarnished his acting for me. I keep meaning to give Broadchurch a go...

Province
    New Hampshire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Heck I bet there's even a decent chunk upset that the show continued on after William Hartnell.
    There was a Doctor Who after Hartnell?

Atomic Blonde wasn't bad. Wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be, though.

Fight scenes were good, apparently Theron did a lot of work to do most, if not all, of her fight scenes instead of using a double. Also props for a more realistic and bloodier version of things like headshots, stab wounds, etc.

Since Valerian is getting lukewarm reviews I may end up skipping seeing that one in theaters. Will probably still go and see Dunkirk, though.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Yesterday I watched Another Earth. It's billed as a kind of sci-fi movie, but that's not really what it is about. I found it however extremely captivating, and created an appreciation for the actress and co-writer Brit Marling.
    I then remembered that I read her name before, when I was watching some old Craig Ferguson interview compilations, and then watched her 3 interviews with Craig.
    And then I watched The OA on Netflix. It is a bit in the realm of fantasy/mystery like Stranger Things, but I wouldn't say it's similar. I found it also very captivating. It was also co-written by Brit, and IIRC, the writer from Another Earth, too. (There are some shared motifs, I would say).

I am partially reminded of Veronica Mars, where I was completely enthralled by Kristen Bell's character binge-watching the show over a week-end, though of course the shows are completely different. But it's a bit like falling in love... I always thought I was more into brunettes, but I guess... That's not it.

Mustrum "As if hair color would really matter" Ridcully

• Page 147 of 189 FirstFirst ... 4797128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166 ... LastLast