Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Ok, the level of stupidity in the season finale to Supergirl almost had me shut it off.

[spoiler​] let's permeate the entire atmosphere with lead? Seriously? You forget lead is poisonous to humans? And one little device in an office does it nearly instantly? Really? [/spoiler]
    Last edited by Bront; May 24th, 2017 at 07:54 PM.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    Ok, the level of stupidity in the season finale to Supergirl almost had me shut it off.

[spoiler​] let's permeate the entire atmosphere with lead? Seriously? You forget lead is poisonous to humans? And one little device in an office does it nearly instantly? Really? [/spoiler]
    Aside from the fact that there are already lead particles in the atmosphere from decades of leaded petrol and unregulated industry. Or the fact that she had been permeated with kryptonite this entire fucking time and yet it never came up in their fights before.

I mean, really, there are so many massive plot-holes and so much fucking stupid in this show that the only reason to watch it is because Melissa Benoist is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Aside from the fact that there are already lead particles in the atmosphere from decades of leaded petrol and unregulated industry. Or the fact that she had been permeated with kryptonite this entire fucking time and yet it never came up in their fights before.

I mean, really, there are so many massive plot-holes and so much fucking stupid in this show that the only reason to watch it is because Melissa Benoist is hot.
    Maybe the lead content in the atmosphere was barely acceptable as it was after the years since we stopped leaded petrol and this new device just brought it a tiny bit higher to the critical-deadly level for Daxons or whatever they called?

Mustrum "The lengths we go to to justify watching Melissa Benoist..." Ridcully

Lena did say the lead content in the atmosphere would be low enough not to harm humans. Of course, a cloud of lead particles erupted in the office where they were all standing, so...fine, once it disperses worldwide it'll be a low level, but being at ground zero shouldn't have been very healthy.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    It drives me nuts every time my wife tells people she enjoys "Archer". She actually means the show "Arrow", she has never seen an episode of "Archer" in her life, and if she did she would hate it.
    Fuck that is funny!

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So I watched the South Korean animated movie Leafie, A Hen In The Wild on the recommendation of "You liked the ending of Gattica? This is got the same moral".

Well, it doesn't. It's close, but it's not quite the same, not quite as strong a moral.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Bahahaha! Totally enjoying Orphan Black so far, just finished the "Donny" episode. I had an odd sort of empathy for Allison when Vic was convinced she was Sarah. Been there.

Well, just not with thugs who need macing, but people who are otherwise convinced I'm someone else.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Passengers is far better than I thought it would be.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I forget exactly what reason I had to dl and watch Fortitude, but damn is it good. I'm only 8 episodes into season one and I'm hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I forget exactly what reason I had to dl and watch Fortitude, but damn is it good. I'm only 8 episodes into season one and I'm hooked.

When I saw the wiki entry said "American actor Stanley Tucci appears in his first British television role as Detective Chief Inspector Morton from London's Metropolitan Police, who has flown to the peaceful close-knit community of Fortitude, as the local sheriff, played by Richard Dormer, investigates a violent murder," about it, my first thought was "Oooh, is it going to be a bit like the Wicker Man?"*

*the original, of course. I heard the remake was so spectacularly awful that I'm not even remotely tempted to try to watch it.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    ...my first thought was "Oooh, is it going to be a bit like the Wicker Man?"
    No. Nothing like that.

It's about a small isolated, insular town surviving by it's finger-tips and how things begin to unravel when a series of murders occur in a town with no crime*... and why the murders occurred and how Tucci is getting to the bottom of things by digging into inconvenient implications and searching for "who done it" when the town's Sheriff would really rather he just go home and not dig up those inconveniences.

Also it may be either a supernatural killer or a virus or maybe nothing like that at all. It's really well done and they keep the suspense on that aspect all the way up to episode like 7 or 8. I forget which one** it was that really tipped me over from "Huh, wonder if that's what's going on" into "Yup, confirmed".

Also they play out "who did it" very well, not even confirming whether one of the murders is even a murder or not for a long time.

Most of the performances are top notch, just fucking top notch (especially Tucci, Dormer, and Gambon).

*As described, there's only a couple hundred people, all of them have to have jobs, and no one really has more than anyone else, so there's very little incentive for crime beyond say, bar fights and domestics.

** I watched the 3-8 all in one binge, so I'm a bit hazy on exactly when a few specifics get revealed.

Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm over halfway through the first season of G.L.O.W.* on Netflix. I really like it so far. It's entertaining, amusing, and Alison Brie has gotten topless twice.

*Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling. It's set in L.A. in the 80's.
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarion'sCousin View Post
    I'm over halfway through the first season of G.L.O.W.* on Netflix. I really like it so far. It's entertaining, amusing, and Alison Brie has gotten topless twice.

*Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling. It's set in L.A. in the 80's.
    At first I thought you were talking about G.L.O.W.*, then I looked up Allison Brie (to see which wrestler she was) and found out you were talking about G.L.O.W.

* Which I watched back in the 80's. I might have to watch this new show to see how it matches up to what I remember of the shens back then.
    Last edited by nail bunny; June 28th, 2017 at 05:48 AM.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    This looks good.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This looks good.

That's the indie film/project based on the steps of the same name over at Penny Arcade. Good stuff, and this looks true to the source material.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

• Page 142 of 189 FirstFirst ... 4292123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161 ... LastLast