Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

  1. #2086
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Archer is back to fill that deep throbbing hole in your life.

    Brief synopsis? *curious*

    Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

    Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.


 

  • #2087
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Brief synopsis? *curious*
    Archer is the surname the titular character who works for a private clandestine organisation that takes on contracted spy work across the globe. His mother runs the agency. He's a womanising, narcissistic alcoholic with such immense natural ability and talent that despite his stunningly low IQ and tinnitus (from so many explosions and gunshots) seems to have a deep level of understanding and recall on obscure, high culture knowledge and can survive just about everything and succeed at every mission without any planning and a complete lack of self-preservation.

    The agency also has other characters equally as messed up. At this point I think they've all had sex with each other, usually at the office. Many of them have drug habits, mummy issues, daddy issues, uncle issues, butler issues and psychopathy issues.

    It's generally quite funny. And if you watch it, you'll finally understand two key things, "Are we really not doing phrasing anymore?" and, "Lana. Lana! LANA! LAAAAAAAAAANNNNNAAAAA!!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #2088
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Archer is the surname the titular character who works for a private clandestine organisation that takes on contracted spy work across the globe. His mother runs the agency. He's a womanising, narcissistic alcoholic with such immense natural ability and talent that despite his stunningly low IQ and tinnitus (from so many explosions and gunshots) seems to have a deep level of understanding and recall on obscure, high culture knowledge and can survive just about everything and succeed at every mission without any planning and a complete lack of self-preservation.

    The agency also has other characters equally as messed up. At this point I think they've all had sex with each other, usually at the office. Many of them have drug habits, mummy issues, daddy issues, uncle issues, butler issues and psychopathy issues.

    It's generally quite funny. And if you watch it, you'll finally understand two key things, "Are we really not doing phrasing anymore?" and, "Lana. Lana! LANA! LAAAAAAAAAANNNNNAAAAA!!!!"
    Hmmm. Thanks!

    Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

    Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.


  • #2089
    our peerless leader SilverMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    New Hampshire
    Oratio
    6,609

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Archer is back to fill that deep throbbing hole in your life.
    It drives me nuts every time my wife tells people she enjoys "Archer". She actually means the show "Arrow", she has never seen an episode of "Archer" in her life, and if she did she would hate it.

  • #2090
    I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    26,267

    Ignore User
    The new MST3K on Netflix is a lot of fun.

  • #2091
    Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    The new MST3K on Netflix is a lot of fun.
    Agreed. Watched the first two this weekend with WifeBlank and BlankBoy3, and all of us enjoyed them.

  • #2092
    Haulin ass shiningbrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    4,977

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Archer is the surname the titular character who works for a private clandestine organisation that takes on contracted spy work across the globe. His mother runs the agency. He's a womanising, narcissistic alcoholic with such immense natural ability and talent that despite his stunningly low IQ and tinnitus (from so many explosions and gunshots) seems to have a deep level of understanding and recall on obscure, high culture knowledge and can survive just about everything and succeed at every mission without any planning and a complete lack of self-preservation.

    The agency also has other characters equally as messed up. At this point I think they've all had sex with each other, usually at the office. Many of them have drug habits, mummy issues, daddy issues, uncle issues, butler issues and psychopathy issues.

    It's generally quite funny. And if you watch it, you'll finally understand two key things, "Are we really not doing phrasing anymore?" and, "Lana. Lana! LANA! LAAAAAAAAAANNNNNAAAAA!!!!"
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure I got a few episodes out of the public library. I found Archer to be a smug sexist asshole who didn't seem too bright, so I wasn't too keen on it. Maybe it's an acquired taste.

    I didn't realize MST 3K was back. Thanks for the update. One of the odd channels had old episodes on here recently. It seemed sad and dated, but they were older. We have some pretty strange broadcast television here: Chinese soap operas, K Pop video programs, Indian, Vietnamese, stations with a variety of programs, etc. and multiple Spanish language channels, including some with Brazilian telenovelas dubbed into Spanish, and another out of L.A. with very good contemporary Mexican rock videos. One local station has Westerns 24/7, there's a "game show" channel, some religious channels, several that feature older dramas and movies. It makes cable tv pretty much unnecessary.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

  • #2093
    I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    26,267

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure I got a few episodes out of the public library. I found Archer to be a smug sexist asshole who didn't seem too bright, so I wasn't too keen on it. Maybe it's an acquired taste.

    I didn't realize MST 3K was back. Thanks for the update. One of the odd channels had old episodes on here recently. It seemed sad and dated, but they were older. We have some pretty strange broadcast television here: Chinese soap operas, K Pop video programs, Indian, Vietnamese, stations with a variety of programs, etc. and multiple Spanish language channels, including some with Brazilian telenovelas dubbed into Spanish, and another out of L.A. with very good contemporary Mexican rock videos. One local station has Westerns 24/7, there's a "game show" channel, some religious channels, several that feature older dramas and movies. It makes cable tv pretty much unnecessary.
    For Archer, that's the point. The show is very aware he's not normal and can be difficult to like, but it can find ways.

    MST3K had a successful Kickstarter and is now a Netflix Original with 15 episodes scheduled. I think 12 have been released now.

  • #2094
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    The Flow
    Oratio
    30,213

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure I got a few episodes out of the public library. I found Archer to be a smug sexist asshole who didn't seem too bright, so I wasn't too keen on it. Maybe it's an acquired taste.
    Season one is hard to get through. Season two (and every season after) is much better and get even better as they go.

    But yeah, like Bront said, Archer is an asshole. You're not supposed to like him, your supposed to laugh at him when he gets his comeuppances. But he has an arc and does grow on you as he becomes a little less of an asshole.
    Last edited by nail bunny; April 17th, 2017 at 05:14 PM.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

  • #2095
    I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    26,267

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Season one is hard to get through. Season two (and every season after) is much better and get even better as they go.

    But yeah, like Bront said, Archer is an asshole. You're not supposed to like him, your supposed to laugh at him when he gets his comeuppances. But he has an arc and does grow on you as he becomes a little less of an asshole.
    He's an asshole who wants to be less of an asshole, but can't always manage it.

    It helps that his mom makes him look like a saint.

  • #2096
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Journey to the West being remade.

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-2...reboot/8457782
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #2097
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Bill Nye Saves the World.

    By being childish and boring.

    I never watched the original show he did so I never had any vested interest in seeing this series, but a science series on Netflix? Cool, I'll watch that. But this show is just juvenile and trite. "Dropping science knowledge" that any 5th grader should already know, and doing it in a condescending, aggressive manner. There are a couple of bright spots in some of the "missions" and some of the panel discussions are OK, but far too brief.

    If this show were aimed at kids... I don't know, I guess, maybe I could give it a thumbs up. But it's apparently aimed at adults due to the adult content in it and Bill's statement in the first episode. But if you're an adult who doesn't know 99% of the shit he talks about, then... I don't know man, you're probably not going to watch this show anyway because rubbing two brain cells together is already a challenge for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #2098
    Redwick, re-imagined RedWick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Province
    Michigan
    Oratio
    4,954

    Ignore User
    You're clearly not familiar with Nye's MO. He's a goofball who like to overact and overreact. This looks to be pretty par for the course for him.
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. - Douglas Adams

  • #2099
    I want watermelon! Bagpuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio
    8,987

    Ignore User
    Alien: Covenant wasn't nearly as bad as Prometheus. Surprised I haven't seen more discussion about it. Is it another one of these films that is coming out later in the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

  • #2100
    Is "The Strain" worth watching? Looks like post-apocalyptic setting via disease, or somesuch?

    Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

    Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.


  • Page 140 of 189 FirstFirst ... 4090121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •