Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuas Randallus View Post
    I've never read a comic book in my life and I had no problem getting the gist of Strange as a character within 5 minutes.

Also what Nerfherder says. No other type of movie wastes half its running time on origin stories.
    At one point, superheroes were outside the norm so it seemed reasonable to expect some explanation as to how they became different and super-powered.

Now, at least as far as movies and television go, superheroes are the norm. Hopefully the creators figure out the origin stories are not necessary any more.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Also what Nerfherder says. No other type of movie wastes half its running time on origin stories.
    So... Conan is a super hero movie now (both Arne and Jason).

Also almost every epic quest fantasy movie ever.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Are all the US TV shows that usually air on Tuesday night not airing tonight because of the election?

If so, FUCK THIS ELECTION!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    So... Conan is a super hero movie now (both Arne and Jason).

Also almost every epic quest fantasy movie ever.
    You are TECHNICALLY CORRECT and as discussed that's the best kind.

Fine. Why do (certain movies) waste half their running time on origin stories? Yes yes, when done well, it can be good, but when not done well I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting for the story to happen.
    Still excited about 4th Edition!
    -----
    * 'You'd need to start with a party of 20 or 30, so that each of the grisly traps could fail to be avoided.' -- Calamari Face, discussing a D&D movie set in the Tomb of Horrors

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Why do (certain movies) waste half their running time on origin stories?

Because the producer/director/writers think it's necessary?

Yes yes, when done well, it can be good, but when not done well I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting for the story to happen.
    Agreed.

I watched Arrival this weekend. I really enjoyed the movie and recommend it.

I thought it was boring. [/Kzach]

No, I really did. Cool alien design, though.
    -----
    * 'You'd need to start with a party of 20 or 30, so that each of the grisly traps could fail to be avoided.' -- Calamari Face, discussing a D&D movie set in the Tomb of Horrors

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I thought it was boring. [/Kzach]
    Huh. I'll probably see way later in time, but why did you think it was boring? Lack of car chases, explosions, and fights scenes?

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Huh. I'll probably see way later in time, but why did you think it was boring? Lack of car chases, explosions, and fights scenes?
    Difficult to discuss without spoilers so read at your own risk.

Spoiler:
    I'm serious, I'm pretty much ruining the movie for you here.

Spoiler:
    There's some timey wimey stuff that sets up a love story BUT there is absolutely nothing on screen that shows the two people falling in love. And no chemistry between the actors. You can't have a punchline about the power of love if we never see any power.

Much of the scientific research is delivered in info-dump voiceovers (FUCKING VOICEOVERS). It *is* possible to make an interesting movie showing the scientific method (cf. Andromeda Strain), but just giving an info dump takes away any excitement around what was discovered. I actually would've enjoyed a movie about "How the hell do we research these alien ships that defy conventional research methods?" but we never got to see that part.

At the end we find out why the aliens Arrived and that would be a *great* setup for a much more interesting story about what happens 3,000 years in the future. In other words, this movie should have been compressed to a 10 minute prologue and the actual story should be what happens next.
    -----

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Difficult to discuss without spoilers so read at your own risk.
    Ugh. Sounds pretty fucking terrible actually.

Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, Nürburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I think this is the most cinematic thing I have ever seen on a wildlife documentary. If this had been a movie, I would have thought it was too contrived.

Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    I think this is the most cinematic thing I have ever seen on a wildlife documentary. If this had been a movie, I would have thought it was too contrived.
    Snakes hunt in packs?!?
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Snakes hunt in packs?!?

They do when they're on a plane!!

Or, apparently, on islands.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Rewatching the beginning of this season of South Park.... and damn but they were fucking prescient on how this election was going to go.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Is anyone watching Aftermath? I gave it almost 10 minutes but the "let's just use every possibly End of Days trope" nonsense turned me off. Is that how the rest of the show is going?

• Page 124 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2474105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143174 ... LastLast