Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    I'm 2 episodes into "Love, Death, and Robots" on netflix, it's pretty fun. It's a animated anthology series of short films about adult scifi shit.

Edit: more in. Some are funny, some are silly, some are horrifying. They also vary in quality. Lots have gore and/or titties and/or dicks.

edit2: I have no idea how this show got made. It looks insanely expensive for tv.

edit3: The episodes are in random order for each viewer, that's cool.
    Binged it. Agree it's a bit uneven, but when it's good, holy shit. Sonny's Edge, The Secret War, Lucky 13, and Suits were my favorite. The Secret War was the best story-wise, but, goddamn, the animation in Sonny's Edge....
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The Secret War was super well made and well written, but the scifi ... The hook... wasn't as good, as, say, Sonny's Edge or Beyond the Aquila Rift. Though I tend to prefer scifi about fucked up transhuman mindcrime shit. Suits was a bit low brow. Good Hunting and Helping Hand were the most horrifying.

And that thing about the episodes being in random order, I think they changed that. They're in the same order for everyone now.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The Secret War was super well made and well written, but the scifi ... The hook... wasn't as good, as, say, Sonny's Edge or Beyond the Aquila Rift. Though I tend to prefer scifi about fucked up transhuman mindcrime shit. Suits was a bit low brow. Good Hunting and Helping Hand were the most horrifying.

And that thing about the episodes being in random order, I think they changed that. They're in the same order for everyone now.
    Meh, I love giant robots. I had forgotten about Helping Hand, that one was fantastic. My favorite line was, "The math is in." Nice allusion to The Cold Equations.

Good Hunting was... odd. Once you accept that what was done was possible at all, it loses a lot of it's horror. At the point of the reveal, I was already at max suspension of disbelief, so it didn't do much. I enjoyed the short, though, but as a fantasy, not sci-fi, so much less horrifying as it had crossed into magi-tech.

I found Aquila Rift to be a bit trite and.. lacking? It was missing something and, in the end, relied on a cliched horror twist. Sonny's Edge was good, though, really good.
    Last edited by Ovinomancer; March 18th, 2019 at 03:28 AM.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I like robots too, loved the first Pacific Rim, just... mecha pilot farmers was kinda lul. Good Hunting hit me in the horrors because amputation is one of my triggers.

Aquila Rift wasn't even a horror, was it? It was sort of tragic. Here's this alien that genuinely cares for the people who get stuck in her/its region of space, and does her/its best to keep them happy and sane, but just isn't quite able to. I guess there's the horror of being cast out into the virtual reality of a truly alien creature, but, at least to me, that sounds better than dying (his other option), considering the alien is trying to build a positive reality. I dunno, maybe it's meant to be horror and I just see the tragedy.

edit: I am reminded of Childhood's End, and it's combination of horror and tragedy.
    Last edited by Eldorian; March 18th, 2019 at 11:02 PM.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Hmmmm. Color me possibly interested.

"I'll tell you something," he said, as if he had said nothing that day. "You're walking on gallows ground, and there's a rope around your neck and a raven-bird on each shoulder waiting for your eyes, and the gallows tree has deep roots, for it stretches from heaven to hell, and our world is only the branch from which the rope is swinging."

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    My Boy is one of those scenes in the trailer.
    I think ovi's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    My Boy is one of those scenes in the trailer.
    The one at 2:24? The resemblance is uncanny.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    The one at 2:24? The resemblance is uncanny.
    Stop stalking kids, man.

He's actually at 2:09, over the left should of Carey, standing between the poles. The blurry kid. He's in more shots (a few that are teased in the trailer), but that's him in that one.
    I think ovi's right.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    "Captive State" is fairly decent. Not great, but definitely worth a matinee price. Wish we'd seen a bit more of the aliens, but....
    "I'll tell you something," he said, as if he had said nothing that day. "You're walking on gallows ground, and there's a rope around your neck and a raven-bird on each shoulder waiting for your eyes, and the gallows tree has deep roots, for it stretches from heaven to hell, and our world is only the branch from which the rope is swinging."

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Stop stalking kids, man.
    No.

• Page 181 of 181 FirstFirst ... 81131162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181