Thread: Random Entertainment Thoughts

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    I think they made the song FOR that show.
    This show? That aired a year after Coulton released Code Monkey? Yeah.... I don't think so.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    4 out of 5 Androids escaping Westworld agree. If you are going to hole up somewhere in the greater L.A. area, Frank Lloyd Wright's textile block houses can't be beat. I laughed out loud when I saw them in the Millard House in Pasadena. I knocked on the door once, but the inhabitants were playing loud music and didn't answer. It's a short walk from the Greene & Greene Gamble House, both well worth a visit.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This show? That aired a year after Coulton released Code Monkey? Yeah.... I don't think so.
    Perhaps not....still a great show though.
    I like hats.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    4 out of 5 Androids escaping Westworld agree. If you are going to hole up somewhere in the greater L.A. area, Frank Lloyd Wright's textile block houses can't be beat. I laughed out loud when I saw them in the Millard House in Pasadena. I knocked on the door once, but the inhabitants were playing loud music and didn't answer. It's a short walk from the Greene & Greene Gamble House, both well worth a visit.
    I attended a party at the Blacker house recently. I did a lot of staring and oohing and awwing. It had secret doors!
    I like hats.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I salute you. I've never been to the Blacker House. The Thorsen House in Berkeley is one I know well (it's home to a local fraternity). Greene & Greene settled in Pasadena because their parents had moved there. It was a hotbed of Arts & Crafts activity in the late 19th & early 20th cc. Ernest Batchelder had an important ceramics works there. We have some of his pictorial tiles in our living room fireplace. It's been a while since I've been to Pasadena, but it's a lovely place. I've seen several of the Wright textile block houses used in commercials or as sets in television series, particularly futuristic ones. It was an innovative building technology for the time, but it's not so great for seismically active areas. The buildings have required a good deal of restoration.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    I salute you. I've never been to the Blacker House. The Thorsen House in Berkeley is one I know well (it's home to a local fraternity). Greene & Greene settled in Pasadena because their parents had moved there. It was a hotbed of Arts & Crafts activity in the late 19th & early 20th cc. Ernest Batchelder had an important ceramics works there. We have some of his pictorial tiles in our living room fireplace. It's been a while since I've been to Pasadena, but it's a lovely place. I've seen several of the Wright textile block houses used in commercials or as sets in television series, particularly futuristic ones. It was an innovative building technology for the time, but it's not so great for seismically active areas. The buildings have required a good deal of restoration.
    Honestly part of me was sad. I was thinking, "How the hell did we get to this achievement in building homes, and then slide back into the cookie cutters we settled on for today? How did we ever decide to choose function over all aesthetics to this extend?"
    I like hats.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Honestly part of me was sad. I was thinking, "How the hell did we get to this achievement in building homes, and then slide back into the cookie cutters we settled on for today? How did we ever decide to choose function over all aesthetics to this extend?"
    Cheap, mass-market materials coupled with fast construction for the end result of big fast profits will kill artisanship and creativity every time, in every arena. Voltaire made a great song about it.
    News I bring;
    Bells the stag, winter snow
    Summer is past
    Wind high and cold
    Low the sun, short its course
    Seas run strong;
    The russet bracken its shape is lost
    Wild goose raises wanton cry
    Cold lays hold on wings of bird
    Time of ice
    This I heard.

-9th c. Irish

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Cheap, mass-market materials coupled with fast construction for the end result of big fast profits will kill artisanship and creativity every time, in every arena. Voltaire made a great song about it.
    I guess that explains the complete lack of any artistry in today's buildings.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, you are forgetting that most of Greene and Greene's clients were very wealthy businesspeople. The Thorsens made a bundle in the lumber trade and in shipping if memory serves. Gamble was the heir to the Procter & Gamble fortune, so these are bespoke, one off buildings with a major convergence of craftsmen, like the Hall brothers, two cabinetmakers responsible for the elaborate main stair in the Gamble House entrance hallway. I don't remember who was responsible for the art glass and the ceramics like the gorgeous work in the dining room, but you get the idea.

Mass produced materials are not necessarily awful, nor are inexpensive mass produced houses necessarily ugly. It's just a whole lot easier to create something beautiful when you have a big budget. And many modernists were so preoccupied with economy that they lost control of the execution often with less than ideal results. Most of the really stunning modern architecture I can think of was designed for wealthy individuals or companies, so money is often important to the achievement of beauty. The Millard house was designed for a wealthy widow. The materials were inexpensive: rebar, cast concrete and wood, but the design was unusual and it required more labor hours and talented builders than a standard house of the same size from the 1920's.
    Last edited by shiningbrow; June 29th, 2018 at 04:24 AM.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Just finished watching "The Domestics". Thoroughly fun post-apocalyptic romp, quite entertaining.

I had heard about it just as it was leaving theatres so I didn't get to see it on the big screen. Glad I got to see it.
    News I bring;
    Bells the stag, winter snow
    Summer is past
    Wind high and cold
    Low the sun, short its course
    Seas run strong;
    The russet bracken its shape is lost
    Wild goose raises wanton cry
    Cold lays hold on wings of bird
    Time of ice
    This I heard.

-9th c. Irish

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Just finished watching "The Domestics". Thoroughly fun post-apocalyptic romp, quite entertaining.
    You had me at post-apoc...
    I wouldn't even censor you.

• Page 165 of 165 FirstFirst ... 65115146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165