Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am Mother [SPOILERED]

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Just watched "I am Mother" on netflix. It's pretty damn good for a netflix original. So far they haven't had a very good track record in acquiring distribution rights to decent films.

The film felt a lot like Moon. Tiny cast, scifi, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Just watched "I am Mother" on netflix. It's pretty damn good for a netflix original. So far they haven't had a very good track record in acquiring distribution rights to decent films.

The film felt a lot like Moon. Tiny cast, scifi, etc.
    I just found out about that from a different website and found a trailer to watch. Hell yes, I'm in. Hits lots of good spots for me, dystopic, apocalyptic, kill-all-the-machines, etc.

The new Terminator coming out looks like it has lots of potential to be fucking fantastic, too. Sign me up.

[EDIT=MODERATOR]
    Cut the Banana Splits from this post, left it in the original thread... you can thank me later.
    -evile-
    [/EDIT]
    Last edited by nail bunny; June 19th, 2019 at 10:06 PM.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Just finished watching it.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Just finished watching it.
    So...

Spoiler:

I was confused by what Mother's goals were. The philosophy segment, for instance, was clearly utilitarian, but the actions that seemed to garner approval were very non-utilitarian. Letting the other human in, despite the risk to all of the unborn, etc., etc. It was a bit scattered. What Mother approved of seemed entirely at odds with what she professed throughout the movie. Mother killed all human life so she could remake a stubbornly individualistic human that held a deep-seated fear of Mother? I mean, huh?

I liked it, but felt that the actions of Mother were entirely inscrutable, which maybe they're meant to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I don't think Mother was explicitly endorsing utilitarianism. She taught Daughter Kant the previous week to the final exam. I also got the feeling that this wasn't the only bunker. Mother was definitely involved in some sort of deep Consequentialism, but I'm not sure it was something a human would recognize as utilitarian. She seemed to care more about creating a superior humanity. I'll have to watch it again with a closer eye to the ethics of the computer with the knowledge of the ending.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Nice reflection on the philosophical underpinnings of the young'un's lessons. Makes me wonder if Hilary Swank was one of Mother's former pupils.

I thought it was sort of flat, with a trifle more thought put into it than Genesis. The two were structurally similar.
    It reminded me of Genesis in that it was probably pretty low budget. Most of it takes place inside a tricked out warehouse made up to look like a high tech facility with a few shots outside of a) field of dead trees, b) cornfield with a few utility pylons, c) oceanside beach inexplicably littered with storage containers like those on the back of 18 wheel trucks. Minimal cast means few of those pesky actors to pay. So win-win for those in the accounting dept.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

On the other hand, being low-budget in other aspects meant they could sink some money/time into doing a decent job of costuming, which I think they absolutely nailed for the robot suit. I had to laugh because I hadn't ever heard/known the word "sintered" before, and the guy's accent made me go "...huh? Scented? Centered?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    So...

Spoiler:

I was confused by what Mother's goals were. The philosophy segment, for instance, was clearly utilitarian, but the actions that seemed to garner approval were very non-utilitarian. Letting the other human in, despite the risk to all of the unborn, etc., etc. It was a bit scattered. What Mother approved of seemed entirely at odds with what she professed throughout the movie. Mother killed all human life so she could remake a stubbornly individualistic human that held a deep-seated fear of Mother? I mean, huh?

I liked it, but felt that the actions of Mother were entirely inscrutable, which maybe they're meant to be.
    Spoiler:
    I think letting the other human in (which was obviously set up with the wound and everything) was just part of her final test, and Mother obviously felt she could handle one rogue human if she hadn't guessed/planned correctly (and she did) for what would happen. Talk about long-term planning, since Mother was the one that grew a baby to be left out, found and raised for her intended purpose in the first place (there were three embryos missing, it looked like).

It did sort of amaze me that there were apparently no weapons whatsoever in the bunker, or concealed in Mother. Though that one did seem to be of a slightly different make than the other "dozers" that were outside. They looked somewhat different even aside from the added weapons they had. Maybe it was the light schematics on them or something.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So...

Spoiler:

The one scene where the young woman/daughter was going through the ashes of former "daughters/sons" suggests that this is a robot who has an idea of how to improve humanity and has had several unsuccessful trial runs before the current iteration. Don't like the way things are going? Start over. Not a happy prospect.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I don't think Mother was explicitly endorsing utilitarianism. She taught Daughter Kant the previous week to the final exam. I also got the feeling that this wasn't the only bunker. Mother was definitely involved in some sort of deep Consequentialism, but I'm not sure it was something a human would recognize as utilitarian. She seemed to care more about creating a superior humanity. I'll have to watch it again with a closer eye to the ethics of the computer with the knowledge of the ending.
    Spoiler:
    Yes? That's my point, though, the definition of "superior humanity" seems to be willful, individualistic, and trained to be fearful/violent towards Mother. I caught the reference to Kant as well, but Mother almost always returns to utilitarian arguments with Daughter. If we're assuming things not shown to justify things shown, I count that as a failure of the film.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Spoiler:
    I think letting the other human in (which was obviously set up with the wound and everything) was just part of her final test, and Mother obviously felt she could handle one rogue human if she hadn't guessed/planned correctly (and she did) for what would happen. Talk about long-term planning, since Mother was the one that grew a baby to be left out, found and raised for her intended purpose in the first place (there were three embryos missing, it looked like).

It did sort of amaze me that there were apparently no weapons whatsoever in the bunker, or concealed in Mother. Though that one did seem to be of a slightly different make than the other "dozers" that were outside. They looked somewhat different even aside from the added weapons they had. Maybe it was the light schematics on them or something.
    Spoiler:
    Yes, the final scene makes it obvious that Mother had planned the outsider for some time. I don't think she grew the outsider, though, as the outsider has clear memories of other humans in hiding and the horrors or that society. I do think Mother identified her and kept her "on ice" for an appropriate appearance.

I don't see why you'd be surprised there were no weapons in the bunker -- there was no need for them. Mother had the outside locked down, and it was only Mother and Daughter in the bunker. The lack of weapons was very unsurprising to me.

I'm still a bit confused as to what Mother thought was a superior human. The one she made was disobedient, willful, and, at the end, very distrustful and fearful of Mother to the point of threatening to kill Mother. Recall, at the point the threat was leveled, Daughter really thought that Mother was just the one robot.
    I think ovi's right.

Maybe the show deserves its own thread, instead of having to hide half a page of discussions in spoilers?

Chernobyl on HBO was pretty good. Highly recommend it. ( NonSpoilers: The Nuclear Reactor explodes. People die.)

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    Maybe the show deserves its own thread, instead of having to hide half a page of discussions in spoilers?

Chernobyl on HBO was pretty good. Highly recommend it. ( NonSpoilers: The Nuclear Reactor explodes. People die.)
    Physician heal thyself?
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    If y'all want I'll be happy to move the posts to a new thread later on today after I get back from work.

So, Aqueducts? Self-Flag?
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Physician heal thyself?
    I just wanted to give you a taste of your own medicine.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast