Thread: Random Videogaming Thoughts

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So I've been playing this space colony sim "Oxygen Not Included", and it's super fun and hard. You have to manage oxygen, CO2, Water, dirty water, dirty air, sim skills and happiness, food, temperature, electricity, plumbing, ducting. So far I keep overheating and getting crop failures, but I think I've figured out some solutions.

It's a side view, not top down or 3d. I've yet to get past the midgame.

My most recent problem is that my mining shaft has too much air pressure (causing ruptured eardrums in my miner), so I'm about to build some airlocks and pump the excess CO2 at high pressure into some empty chambers. I have two hydrogen pockets I'm gonna use for this purpose, as the hydrogen will rise to the top of my colony where I'm gonna build a hydrogen power plant to consume it and the excess hydrogen from electrolysis oxygen generation.

Here's what it looks like. 14 bucks on sale, still early access but it's already a super deep game. They just added exosuits and space exploration for the surface of your colony.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Looks like a fun game... I'll look into it after I've gotten a new compy, one with a graphics card.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Figured it out. The water sieve I use for filtering the polluted water outputs clean water at 40C. I need to cool that water first before feeding it to my crops. I think I can pipe it around the tank for the polluted water.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Figured it out. The water sieve I use for filtering the polluted water outputs clean water at 40C. I need to cool that water first before feeding it to my crops. I think I can pipe it around the tank for the polluted water.
    Hang on, if the game will literally let you cool the water that way... that's some deep immersion.

That's like... Dwarf Fortress levels of depth.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Hang on, if the game will literally let you cool the water that way... that's some deep immersion.

That's like... Dwarf Fortress levels of depth.
    The tank was insufficient. I now have the water piping to a cold biome where it first waters the hydroponic ice wheat, then it heads back to the colony to water the rest of the hydroponics and then be electrolysis'd into hydrogen and oxygen. Oh, and some just gets pumped into a tank for my dupes (sims are called dupes in this game) to manually draw water from.

I've determined I can just mine pockets of hydrogen and let them rise to the top of the colony where my hydrogen generator and it's pump are.. but if I open up the airlocks then the air pressure will build to uncomfortable levels at the bottom of my colony. I've discovered a type of creature that consumes carbon dioxide (the heaviest gas I have a significant amount of) and poops crude oil (one of the most useful I've seen so far), so I think I might be able to manage the pressure if I have enough of those little guys eating all the CO2. Tho I might just open the hydrogen pockets and then let it rise piecemeal as I open and close air locks. I kinda don't want to be bothered pumping my CO2 down to the oil creatures, so maybe they'l consume it fast enough that I can leave the locks open, probably not tho.

And yes, it has a complicated heat management system. You can build insulated walls, pipes, ductwork, or just let them radiate. I think the material you use to make the shit even matters.

Oh, it has complicated automation shit to build too, with and and or gates and shit. I've yet to get into automation, as I still can't manage hydroponics without overheating. The game really has too few ways of lowering heat.

edit: holy shit, I just had an idea that seems obvious now. Those pipes I have piping to the cold region.. I can just build an empty tank down there, run the pipes all over in the tank, then let them drain into that tank for a bit, and then I'll have a tank of ice and/or cold water instead of just cold air to cool my pipes. Sucks that working down there causes so much hypothermia tho...
    Last edited by Eldorian; June 22nd, 2018 at 05:07 PM.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    And yes, it has a complicated heat management system. You can build insulated walls, pipes, ductwork, or just let them radiate. I think the material you use to make the shit even matters.
    I'm getting some serious wood listening to this description...

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    A Celebrity Died
    Refugees were welcomed
    Daughter got a scholarship
    Wife was fired
    I become Nation's Voice
    #IamHeadliner
    Headliner is a fun short little game where the mechanic is a simple, YES/NO to running certain newspaper stories, it's probably worth it on the sale price it is on Steam. I think I had a successful run though 1st time. Although an immigrant took my wife's job, I did take a generally pro-immigration stance.

It only takes an hour or so to play through, so I'm not going back to see if I can cause a riot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

open face watermelon Barrowwight's Avatar
    Province
    West Virginia
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I hoping Fallout 76 will good. I'm buying no matter what as I live in West Virginia.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrowwight View Post
    I hoping Fallout 76 will good. I'm buying no matter what as I live in West Virginia.
    I have no hope as they've decided to go and make it multiplayer. Soon all it will have in common with the good Fallout's is a name and some tropes.

open face watermelon Barrowwight's Avatar
    Province
    West Virginia
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yeah, I'm not really happy with that choice.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    What are the "good" Fallout games that could be run on an older, run-of-the-mill computer? I'm curious to try and play some of them, mainly with an eye towards making post-apocalyptic stuff for WW that people will recognize and think is cool. I think I've seen the first one is available for PC for like ten bucks, but one of the mate's young nephews (who are both really into computer gaming) seemed to pooh-pooh it.

I never played the kind of Xbox games like Final Fantasy, but when I occasionally watched someone play them, I wasn't sure how you were supposed to figure out where to go and what to do. One guy I knew ended up raising/racing chockabo birds for like a month and I wasn't sure what the point of that was. Though I did enjoy seeing some of the story-action sequences when those got encountered/unlocked/whatever.
    News I bring;
    Bells the stag, winter snow
    Summer is past
    Wind high and cold
    Low the sun, short its course
    Seas run strong;
    The russet bracken its shape is lost
    Wild goose raises wanton cry
    Cold lays hold on wings of bird
    Time of ice
    This I heard.

-9th c. Irish

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    What are the "good" Fallout games that could be run on an older, run-of-the-mill computer?
    Fallout 1. Every game that has come out since* has been slightly worse† than the last‡.

* It goes Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4, and the new one that isn't out yet...

† I rate them in term of story. Game play and art wise they've actually gotten better‡ with each iteration (and left what I cared about further and further behind).

‡ Story wise F:NV is on par with Fallout. Game play wise it's between F2 and F3.

I'm curious to try and play some of them, mainly with an eye towards making post-apocalyptic stuff for WW that people will recognize and think is cool.
    You can also just gis some pictures of it and the other Fallouts online. In fact gising F3 and 4 would probably be better as those are what everyone knows now (like John Snow, they know nothing!) and would be more recognizable (also the art in F3, F:NV, and F4 is a lot better than the old games).

I think I've seen the first one is available for PC for like ten bucks, but one of the mate's young nephews (who are both really into computer gaming) seemed to pooh-pooh it.
    Youngins ain't got no respect! The Wanderer died so they'd have them new fangled first person shoot-ems! Kids these days... lawn...

I never played the kind of Xbox games like Final Fantasy, but when I occasionally watched someone play them, I wasn't sure how you were supposed to figure out where to go and what to do. One guy I knew ended up raising/racing chockabo birds for like a month and I wasn't sure what the point of that was. Though I did enjoy seeing some of the story-action sequences when those got encountered/unlocked/whatever.
    Then you might want a youngin along to work the vcr for you gramma.

If you have a relatively modern computer you could pick up Fallout 3 ($20 bucks on GOG) and probably run it fine. If you sucksor at fps games (twitch-shooters) then you actually might want to try to grab Fallout or Fallout 2 (on GOG) as they are turn-based so there's no pressure in combats. You could also just google up a let's Play or two and try watching them. Probably cheaper and you can skip past the boring parts and screen shot cool looking stuff.

If you do decided to go the Let's Play route, I recommend the Spoiler Warning show. They talk about a lot of other stuff during the game so the boring bits get filled with non-boring discussions. However you do tend to miss out on the story going on in the game...
    Last edited by nail bunny; July 15th, 2018 at 07:52 PM.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Fallout 1. Every game that has come out since* has been slightly worse† than the last‡.

* It goes Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4, and the new one that isn't out yet...

† I rate them in term of story. Game play and art wise they've actually gotten better‡ with each iteration (and left what I cared about further and further behind).

‡ Story wise F:NV is on par with Fallout. Game play wise it's between F2 and F3.

You can also just gis some pictures of it and the other Fallouts online. In fact gising F3 and 4 would probably be better as those are what everyone knows now (like John Snow, they know nothing!) and would be more recognizable (also the art in F3, F:NV, and F4 is a lot better than the old games).

Excellent info, thanks! Will toss some denarii your way when next I can.

I might do the gising route for some stuff, but I tend to like to know the story/history/references behind things I create, so if I can get the game(s) cheap as well as actually being able to run them on our current POS computer (we're looking at getting something new relatively soonish) I'll have more of a working knowledge of the setting/world as well as the things from it.

I did like that video of the newest forthcoming one that Barrowight posted, that looks pretty cool.

--Non-Console-Gamer-Whose-Curiosity-Yearns-For-Skyrim-Spikey
    News I bring;
    Bells the stag, winter snow
    Summer is past
    Wind high and cold
    Low the sun, short its course
    Seas run strong;
    The russet bracken its shape is lost
    Wild goose raises wanton cry
    Cold lays hold on wings of bird
    Time of ice
    This I heard.

-9th c. Irish

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    --Non-Console-Gamer-Whose-Curiosity-Yearns-For-Skyrim-Spikey
    If you're wondering whether your old compy can run a game or not: Can You Run It?

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Multiple Diablo projects over at Blizzard, announcement sometime this year, probably Blizzcon.

• Page 284 of 285 FirstFirst ... 184234265266267268269270271272273274275276277278279280281282283284285 LastLast