Thread: Random Videogaming Thoughts

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So I've been playing this space colony sim "Oxygen Not Included", and it's super fun and hard. You have to manage oxygen, CO2, Water, dirty water, dirty air, sim skills and happiness, food, temperature, electricity, plumbing, ducting. So far I keep overheating and getting crop failures, but I think I've figured out some solutions.

It's a side view, not top down or 3d. I've yet to get past the midgame.

My most recent problem is that my mining shaft has too much air pressure (causing ruptured eardrums in my miner), so I'm about to build some airlocks and pump the excess CO2 at high pressure into some empty chambers. I have two hydrogen pockets I'm gonna use for this purpose, as the hydrogen will rise to the top of my colony where I'm gonna build a hydrogen power plant to consume it and the excess hydrogen from electrolysis oxygen generation.

Here's what it looks like. 14 bucks on sale, still early access but it's already a super deep game. They just added exosuits and space exploration for the surface of your colony.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Looks like a fun game... I'll look into it after I've gotten a new compy, one with a graphics card.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Figured it out. The water sieve I use for filtering the polluted water outputs clean water at 40C. I need to cool that water first before feeding it to my crops. I think I can pipe it around the tank for the polluted water.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Figured it out. The water sieve I use for filtering the polluted water outputs clean water at 40C. I need to cool that water first before feeding it to my crops. I think I can pipe it around the tank for the polluted water.
    Hang on, if the game will literally let you cool the water that way... that's some deep immersion.

That's like... Dwarf Fortress levels of depth.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Hang on, if the game will literally let you cool the water that way... that's some deep immersion.

That's like... Dwarf Fortress levels of depth.
    The tank was insufficient. I now have the water piping to a cold biome where it first waters the hydroponic ice wheat, then it heads back to the colony to water the rest of the hydroponics and then be electrolysis'd into hydrogen and oxygen. Oh, and some just gets pumped into a tank for my dupes (sims are called dupes in this game) to manually draw water from.

I've determined I can just mine pockets of hydrogen and let them rise to the top of the colony where my hydrogen generator and it's pump are.. but if I open up the airlocks then the air pressure will build to uncomfortable levels at the bottom of my colony. I've discovered a type of creature that consumes carbon dioxide (the heaviest gas I have a significant amount of) and poops crude oil (one of the most useful I've seen so far), so I think I might be able to manage the pressure if I have enough of those little guys eating all the CO2. Tho I might just open the hydrogen pockets and then let it rise piecemeal as I open and close air locks. I kinda don't want to be bothered pumping my CO2 down to the oil creatures, so maybe they'l consume it fast enough that I can leave the locks open, probably not tho.

And yes, it has a complicated heat management system. You can build insulated walls, pipes, ductwork, or just let them radiate. I think the material you use to make the shit even matters.

Oh, it has complicated automation shit to build too, with and and or gates and shit. I've yet to get into automation, as I still can't manage hydroponics without overheating. The game really has too few ways of lowering heat.

edit: holy shit, I just had an idea that seems obvious now. Those pipes I have piping to the cold region.. I can just build an empty tank down there, run the pipes all over in the tank, then let them drain into that tank for a bit, and then I'll have a tank of ice and/or cold water instead of just cold air to cool my pipes. Sucks that working down there causes so much hypothermia tho...
    Last edited by Eldorian; June 22nd, 2018 at 05:07 PM.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    And yes, it has a complicated heat management system. You can build insulated walls, pipes, ductwork, or just let them radiate. I think the material you use to make the shit even matters.
    I'm getting some serious wood listening to this description...

• Page 284 of 284 FirstFirst ... 184234265266267268269270271272273274275276277278279280281282283284