Thread: Random RPG Thoughts (No Videogames Allowed!)

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    After overrunning on Kickstarter by two years and the unfortunate sudden death of Stewart Wieck, I got Wurm and King Arthur Pendragon in the post yesterday.

They both look very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    My dudes (expecially Bagpuss), I am in a quandry.

I have need of your deep and broad musical knowledge to help put together a playlist for a character. A happy, bubbly, almost carefree Indonesian* teenage girl in a cyberpunk game. She's a brain-in-box drone operator if that matters?

My musical selection and tastes tend runs to the dark, somber, and depressive so I'm drawing blanks.

Thanks.

* See why I especially want Babpuss? All that J-Pop he consumes...
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    * See why I especially want Babpuss? All that J-Pop he consumes...
    Not sure what the Indonesian music scene is like. But if you want really upbeat and cheerful my current vice is playing Love Live! School Idol on the ipad.

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Anyone got some recommendations for good RPG podcasts that are under an hour? preferably well under an hour, but I know they are famous for their length, so...

Why does length matter?

I like Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff which has been running about 75 minutes of late. So you could listen to each segment for a short version. Generally 4 segments per show.
    Still excited about 4th Edition!
    -----
    * 'You'd need to start with a party of 20 or 30, so that each of the grisly traps could fail to be avoided.' -- Calamari Face, discussing a D&D movie set in the Tomb of Horrors

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuas Randallus View Post
    Why does length matter?
    Ask your sexual partner.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Ask your sexual partner.
    So you'll be speaking to your hand then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Ask your sexual partner.
    I would but your mom can’t talk with her mouth full.
    Still excited about 4th Edition!
    -----
    * 'You'd need to start with a party of 20 or 30, so that each of the grisly traps could fail to be avoided.' -- Calamari Face, discussing a D&D movie set in the Tomb of Horrors

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuas Randallus View Post
    I would but your mom canít talk with her mouth full.

Hey, you loft up a softball like that, I'm going to hit it out of the park.

Using my giant cock as a bat.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm not normally all about some show about D&D specifically.... but this youtube series is pretty amusing.

Animated SpellBook

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm not normally all about some show about D&D specifically.... but this youtube series is pretty amusing.

Animated SpellBook
    Those are clever, thanks.
    I like hats.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Just back from three days of gaming. 8 x 4 hour slots.

Friday

Slot 1: Organised a Kingdom game involving Steampunk Dwarves dealing with problems like sentient automata, how to deal with a refugee crisis caused by Human and Elven nations having a war around them. Great fun as a Right-Wing isolationist dwarf seized power, and two players worked together to make his life hell. Ended when the active volcano under the mountain started to erupt and our Trump like dwarf was standing in the halls shouting "This is a strong and stable mountain..." as everyone else fled the Kingdom.

Slot 2: Played in "Hell Dorado" a Savage Worlds game . A team of gunslingers hired by the church to close a portal to Hell in a weird west setting based on the Hard West PC game.

Saturday

Slot 3: "Into the Badlands" based of the TV series (I was Sunny) using the Apocalypse World rules, didn't play out like the Pilot episode GM had planned, we managed to cram the entire season into a four hour session.

Slot 4: Fell asleep, had a bad headache after lunch and was running the evening slot so I thought it would be unfair to run half dead. The heat in the UK has been stifling.

Slot 5: Ran Monsterhearts 2 based in a fictional small town, by a lake popular for Spring Break in Kentucky US. Student protest lead to same sex couples being allowed to attend the Prom, a female Prom King and a dead student being posthumously awarded Prom Queen only to appear as a ghost and ruin everything.

Sunday

Slot 6: Played in Torchwood using the Heroquest rules, but with a very narrative style, GM really only provided images that we explained. Even characters were designed in play. Turns out splicing weevil and human DNA is bad, who would have guessed and the mysterious phantom sheep shearer was actually making spacesuits out of wool and grass.

Slot 7: Ran Pax Cthuliana a systemless Cthulhu adventure that involves music and a shit load of handouts. Ran it for my home game previously and it seemed a shame to let all those nice props go to waste.

Slot 8: Played Pendragon including a feast using the Feast cards mechanic. Interesting mechanic but needs a lot of work shouldn't have been released as is.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; July 23rd, 2018 at 02:15 PM.

I need some ideas for an Assassin's Run-type dungeon for 5th level PC's. I have the original somewhere on the Dragon Compilation CD's so I'll be referring back to that, but need some new ideas.

Background: One of my PC's in my Urban 5E game (which has a touch of Steampunk to it) is, unbeknownst to her, related to a noble family (House Falconieri) that has heavy assassin associations (think of it a noble family as Assassin's Guild). They got involved in the wrong side of a coup attempt 15 years ago, and their stronghold in the city was razed. The PC is now digging around for info, and I want to send them into the vaults under the razed castle to find info.

The only way remaining in is via the Assassin's run, a trap and danger filled obstacle course intended to test members before giving them full status in the House. So I need lots of traps and obstacles. Mostly intended to test and not to kill, but I'm imagining this as a little bit like Portal. You see, House Falconieri also had some diabolist connections, and one of the demons/devils escaped and is now playing the GlaDOS role, "helping" the PC (and the party) in her run. So it will get more and more deadly as they reach the center of the dungeon...

So traps, obstacles, constructs (I'm thinking a mechanical Minotaur, maybe), some fiends, with one big angry fiend in the middle who can roam the dungeon but not leave entirely.

What else can I throw at them?
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I need some ideas for an Assassin's Run-type dungeon for 5th level PC's. I have the original somewhere on the Dragon Compilation CD's so I'll be referring back to that, but need some new ideas.

Background: One of my PC's in my Urban 5E game (which has a touch of Steampunk to it) is, unbeknownst to her, related to a noble family (House Falconieri) that has heavy assassin associations (think of it a noble family as Assassin's Guild). They got involved in the wrong side of a coup attempt 15 years ago, and their stronghold in the city was razed. The PC is now digging around for info, and I want to send them into the vaults under the razed castle to find info.

The only way remaining in is via the Assassin's run, a trap and danger filled obstacle course intended to test members before giving them full status in the House. So I need lots of traps and obstacles. Mostly intended to test and not to kill, but I'm imagining this as a little bit like Portal. You see, House Falconieri also had some diabolist connections, and one of the demons/devils escaped and is now playing the GlaDOS role, "helping" the PC (and the party) in her run. So it will get more and more deadly as they reach the center of the dungeon...

So traps, obstacles, constructs (I'm thinking a mechanical Minotaur, maybe), some fiends, with one big angry fiend in the middle who can roam the dungeon but not leave entirely.

What else can I throw at them?
    Okay, so, traps, to me, are boring by themselves -- there needs to be a pressure to them to make them an actual challenge. Plus, while you want to spotlight the assassin, having the rest of the party just watch mostly is not fun. I do like the idea of GLaDOS-like monitor of the run, and since you've already got some ruins, let's go full Portal here.

1. Challenges are groups as rooms that have specific challenge concepts. Themes should carry through to other rooms (ie, if there's a rune on the floor that activates an arrow trap, the same rune is in other rooms so the party can learn and the non-assassins have something to notice). Challenges should be appropriate to assassin's craft, so, reaching high places; finding a path through (over/under); eliminating targets (good for constructs); moving through unseen; moving through unheard.

2. Pressures -- there needs to be some pressure to each room. Clearly, you need to block the exit once the first room is cleared so they have to go forward, but aside from that each room needs an additional pressure. Examples can be - setting off a trap/being seen/being heard triggers an attack from the 'room' (read, demon is running remote attack vectors, like ceiling mounted crossbow turrets -- why not?). Or the ceiling lowers one notch in the entire room. Or parts of the floor drop out. Something needs to add pressure to failures in solving the rooms.

3. The demon. Play this up. Have magic mouths talk to the party in each room to set the challenge and to conclude it. Foreshadow problems, and be petulant at successes. At a certain point, change a previously established theme -- have a rune that indicated a certain kind of challenge switch with another rune and don't tell the players until after they complete the room. This should increase their paranoia and anger at the demon. The demon should make promises it doesn't intend to keep.

4. ruined areas. Have the razing of the fortress above occasionally enter the maze. Have broken areas reveal side rooms that the demon can't see where the corpses and scrawled warnings of previous victims of the run are. Use this to foreshadow against the demon and ruin his surprises if the players pay attention. Feel free to have the messages reflect the desperation and madness of previous victims.

5. have most challenges have a coop feel -- maybe a challenge that would be fiendishly difficult for a single participant be much easier if the party cooperates. Perhaps some floor switches that deactivate sight/sound detectors or constructs while you stand on them, providing a safe planning place for a single participant but if you have more people effectively render the challenge trivial? Or a climbing/obstacle challenge that's easier if you work together to finish it? A couple of things come to mind. This keeps the run from being mostly watching the rogue do the trap bits. Also fun if a tanky character just strides through the traps and mauls some weak constructs to defeat the challenge rather than sneaking around and taking them out through assassinations as intended.

7. The final confrontation should have the players absolutely HATING the demon/devil in the middle. I'd create a room where multiple pieces of the traps/challenges in the outside exist so the battle is dynamic as the demon uses lair actions to activate the traps and the characters can dodge them through prior knowledge. Feel free to amp up the traps here in the center of it all and make them really nasty. The demon should have a few gimmicks, but mostly rely on the room to do the work, so make it tough enough to last enough rounds that the room matters a lot to the fight. Actual boss stages might not be a bad idea here.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

• Page 397 of 400 FirstFirst ... 297347378379380381382383384385386387388389390391392393394395396397398399400 LastLast