Thread: Random RPG Thoughts (No Videogames Allowed!)

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
    I've always found it pretty hard to end a campaign. I have one or two players in particular that want to act out everything that happens after the end (completely missing the point of what the word "end" means). But the only alternative seems to be to keep playing until it stops being fun, which is worse.
    I just call it a close. Not much concerned if some one wants to "write" their own "and this is what came after", I may or may not pay any attention to it if I later repick up the campaign (which I never have).

I have had campaign stall (and then die)... usually due to a few Players missing lot's of sessions, getting lost in what they were doing, and then everyone losing interest, but it's rare.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

We've tended to do an Epilogue for campaigns that run to completion - essentially a narration of significant events that befall the PCs in the months or years that follow, tying up loose plot threads that weren't resolved in game or indicating how long-term agendas that PCs were pursuing work out.

-Hyp.

My second and most successful 3e campaign had a lovely fun ending. Then I made the mistake of running a sequel (using the Underdark book for 3e) that just wasn't as good.

So it's more than just the movies that do it.
    Bold adventurers needed! Now recruiting adventures in the Scarred Lands!
    Slaad's Scarred Lands Pathfinder PbP: (Recruiting - IC - OOC - Characters)

The Secret Volcano Base: my neglected RPG blog

Historically, I'm the sort of GM who roots for the PCs, and doesn't like screwing with them too much. But I'm actually rather amused that one of the PCs in my Dracula Dossier game managed to get addicted to the bite of a Lamia and (due to poor timing) Seward Serum. The latter will probably turn into a sorry event where he squanders the rest of the group's supply of serum.

I've been building a Star Wars game and campaign setting the last few weeks. We did two test games with my rules, and this week we're going to start the regular campaign.

I was kinda hoping for an extended pause from GMing, but it was not to be. They pulled me right back.

The game rules are homebrew, loosely build on D&D 4. I would love to link it here, but I wrote it on German this time for the benefit of my German group, and ultimately, it's not like I am going to release it anywhere serious.

Core Classes are inspired by previous D02 games.
    - Engineer
    - Fringer
    - Noble
    - Scout
    - Soldier
    - Rogue

Unlike in 4E, you can multiclass, and it's expected, but unlike D02 stuff, you multiclass at certain levels only. Basically, every 5 levels you can switch to a different class. This limits the cherry-picking abuse potential of free multi-classing, but is a lot more flexibe then D&D 4. The Core Classes have all 10 levels each, advanced/prestige classes are always only 5 levels deep.

As you may have noticed from the class list, there are no Jedi. You can start out as force-sensitive, but you never start as a full Jedi. You always take one of the other classes first, and can become a Jedi Padawan or Sith Apprentice (or any other type of force-user) at Level 6 by taking the appropriate class for it.

The setting for the campaign is 15 years after the Battle of Endor, ignoring all books andn movies other than the original trilogy and perhaps Rogue One.
    If the rules were to be used for, say, a prequel campaign, I would assume that Younglings don't have any Jedi Class levels yet. But the power discrepancy between jedi and "Normal" people would be the result of an obvious level difference - you can be a competent Soldier at Level 1, but a competent Jedi would already be Level 6.

One thing that 4E was always missing in my opinion were the non-combat abilities for characters. This is one of the things I have adressed here. Classes get at-wil, encounter and daily powers like in 4E, but they also get Talents that are always non-combat specific. (The closest to combat are of course bonuses to skills.)

I have uncoupled the combat roles from D&D 4 a bit from the core classes. There are only Defense, Control and Leadership as role (I wanted to avoide the Striker role, since everyone is there to take damage, and in ranged combat there seems more role overlap). You can have either two roles, or do one role really well, and your class determines which roles you have access to. The roles usually provide rider benefits for the powers. A Fringer for example can do both Defense and Leadership, a Soldier can do both Control and Defense, for example.

I also ditched the regular level bonuses from D&D games, to keep NPc stats viable at all levels. There is a small nod to it by granting a generic competence bonus every few levels. It feels a bit too static without any of that.

I hope I managed to avoid any feat taxes so far, but we'll see. So far Martial Artist has been very popular.

For regular combat I coined a new rule. Basically, the modern weapons all deal 2 dice of damage instead of the usual 1 die (so a one-handed Blaster Pistol deals 2d6 damage) , but you take only half damage from blaster and grenade attacks if you're using your cover well, e.g. have spent a minor action to fortify your position.
    This is to encourage fighting from cover more - but once you get into melee, things can get messy, since modern vibro and light saber weapons are also two damage dice weaons. Jedi have powers that allow them to benefit from fortified positions just by using their light saber, and encounter or daily powers that allow them to reflect incoming attacks. Of course, we haven't tried much yet in that regard.

I got no space combat rules yet.

I love the Thrawn books, so they will be part of my canon, but there will be differences (for once, it all happens a bit later.) The players will not be very involved in this, at least that's my plan for now.
    I got a Force Sensitive Character that was trained by a Sith Lady, an Ex-Soldier turned prospector, and a Protocol Droid modified for Assassination that was originally working for the Empire. Really no idea where the latter is leading to. The campaign isn't supposed to turn particular dark.

And I have to figure out how the first session is going to play. I know the basic idea :

The Soldier has found a ship wreck with the powered off protocol droid. he salvaged what he could,and is now trying to restore the droid to function, hoping to use him. The droid has a message for anyone that finds him, left by his original owner (or rather, the guy that thinks he's the owner). The owner has a message for the Sith Lady who is supposed to be on the same planet. (But isn't anymore, and left behind the Force Sensitive Rogue, with some not-fully identified group coming after them.)

Someone else is hunting for the owner of the droid - they shot up the original ship, but it could flee before its systems broke down. But the Soldier found that very ship, and when he logged his find, he caught the attention of the pursuers. They don't know yet exactly who he is, but know the planet. They have some notable resources - among them an interdictor cruiser and two additional combat capable ships from Empire and Rebellion/Republic. They are going to blockade the system, if neccessary to find the ship.

Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    I was kinda hoping for an extended pause from GMing, but it was not to be. They pulled me right back.
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    I've been building a Star Wars game and campaign setting the last few weeks.

I got no space combat rules yet.
    I've got some space combat rules that may be of use to you. Based off of Saga Edition, and pushed a bit in the direction of D&D 4

My last Mutants & Masterminds game was oddly satisfying. I just dreamed up an evil plot and threw some supervillains together. Some stuff I did that proved oddly effective:
    1) Though I'm not one for lots of NPC banter, I decided to have the PCs get involved in a series of legal hearings regarding the fate of a number of "stormers", superhumans whose powers were recently activated and many of whom performed villainous activities while mind controlled. I did this mainly to introduce some NPCs from the Emerald City setting and establish the fate of several supers (including a subtle clue to upcoming evil plot), but it also got the players invested in the fate of a number of the stormers, like one who really didn't do anything violent, just disruptive, but who was about to become the shared victim of public furor.
    2) Against my normal modus operandi, I totally played one encounter for comedic effect. I don't like making the game seem farcical, but in terms of managing the emotional flow of the game, the encounter was a nice mood lightener leading into the heavier investigation and finale. In addition, one of the players opted not to fight, but make the over-the-top self-parodying villain reconsider his douchebag ways.

I am trying some new things for my Mutants & Masterminds game. To help set the mood, I am kicking off each session with a quote, similar to some TV shows and chapters in some novels.

The last (and first) 2:

Might and wrong combined, like iron magnetized, are endowed with irresistible attraction.
    -Nathaniel Hawthorne, The House of the Seven Gables (1851)
    (Mangetism themed villain)

I am in blood
    Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
    Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
    -William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act III, Scene IV (Macbeth).
    (A revenge tale)

Anyone try anything like this?

I'm also considering cut-scenes, breaking with my longstanding tradition of only showing players what their PCs are thinking.

EVOLVED: extra chromosome! Zappo's Avatar
    Province
    Patavium, Gallia Transpadana
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Slaad View Post
    I'm also considering cut-scenes, breaking with my longstanding tradition of only showing players what their PCs are thinking.
    Years ago, I ran a Planescape game where one of the characters acquired the capacity to unconsciously information sift winds of information from the Astral Plane, obtaining random visions of things happening elsewhere. So - cutscenes, except that the PCs are actually seeing them, thus getting rid of the player knowledge/character knowledge discrepancy. It worked really well.
    You say that I am testing the gods' patience? Oh... I'd rather call myself an experimental theologian.
    Factol Terrance

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Slaad View Post
    Anyone try anything like this?
    When I was running Birthright, each session would begin with a passage from the history books written 300 old years after the events in the campaign. Sometimes it would recap on last session with there exploits exaggerated in the retelling, so giant caterpillars, might be described as something like the Lambton Worm or occasionally it would foreshadow the events to come, leaking information they might not know IC yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

These mantises are so neat, I'd love to see someone come up with thri-kreen based on them in a game. They'd have a fairly Japanese, samurai type aesthetic, I think. Their version of bushido would have a name that would translate to something like "The Path of Fallen Petals", and most of the names of their attacks would be based on poetic-sounding flower metaphors.

And they'd write haiku. Just to irritate Ovi.

Video rather than pics, since there's so many cool-looking varieties.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    These mantises are so neat, I'd love to see someone come up with thri-kreen based on them in a game. They'd have a fairly Japanese, samurai type aesthetic, I think. Their version of bushido would have a name that would translate to something like "The Path of Fallen Petals", and most of the names of their attacks would be based on poetic-sounding flower metaphors.

And they'd write haiku. Just to irritate Ovi.

Video rather than pics, since there's so many cool-looking varieties.

They'd write real haiku.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    These mantises are so neat, I'd love to see someone come up with thri-kreen based on them in a game.
    Dark Sun had those in the Kreen Empire. Tondi Tohr-Kreen, just looked it up.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

• Page 388 of 403 FirstFirst ... 288338369370371372373374375376377378379380381382383384385386387388389390391392393394395396397398399400401402403 LastLast