Thread: Random RPG Thoughts (No Videogames Allowed!)

  1. #5791
    My 5e game has a certain amount of steampunk elements to it: airships, constructs, etc. That's going to be a recurring element, so I've been thinking of how to make some interesting constructs. There are some constructs in the various monster books but most are a little too specialized, or powerful, etc. And in any case not quite what I'm looking for. I want some relatively mundane constructs that are still mechanically interesting.

    I think I figured out my approach on that. They'll essentially all be based off the Animated Armor stat block, which is CR 1. They'll have 1 or 2 additional "tricks" up their sleeves, and possibly some vulnerabilities (aside from the animated armors vulnerability to anti-magic or dispel magic). For example, a construct designed to capture or restrain someone (like a guard) might fire nets, or have a sleep gas (as sleep spell) or fire slippery oil (as a grease spell). A more combat focused one might be have a flame thrower (burning hands) or possibly improved strength, damage, or a reach weapon. One designed for pursuit might have an ability like the Hunters Mark spell, or improved movement speed or an ability like the Jump spell. All first level spell equivalent sort of stuff.

    Fancier, more advanced models might have slightly better stats, or abilities that mimic higher level spells. Different Artificers might specialize in certain types of construct.

    I have an idea for a late game enemy where the big bad has captured teh soul of a phoenix in a construct phoenix under his control, and the PC's will have to fight it - and possibly free it so it can be reborn as it should be...
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

 

  • #5792
    check out my boni Brent Nall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Province
    Humble (Houston), TX
    Oratio
    2,745

    Ignore User
    I haven't read it, but the monster book from Kobold Press (Tome of Beasts) is supposed to have a ton of clockwork monsters in it. Maybe something useful there, or is that one of the books you've already checked?
    you suddenly see a light, behind it is a glow, too bright to see, it comes toward you and part of it breaks off, and hits the ground near you, All magic and magic items cease to function and you all take 50 million divine damage ignoring damage reduction and immunities. Also you area all disintegrated.

  • #5793
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nall View Post
    I haven't read it, but the monster book from Kobold Press (Tome of Beasts) is supposed to have a ton of clockwork monsters in it. Maybe something useful there, or is that one of the books you've already checked?
    It is, and it does have some really good clockwork stuff that I intend to use for some of the more esoteric clockwork creatures (it also has some really good fey that I plan on using). I also need to drag out my Iron Kingdoms 3.5 books, as they have a lot of construct stuff as well that I've made use of in the past and can convert to 5E.

    Incidentally one of the things I'm liking about 5E is that I find it really easy to kitbash monsters as needed.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

  • #5794
    Religipster Enkhidu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Dayton
    Oratio
    7,101

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    ...
    Incidentally one of the things I'm liking about 5E is that I find it really easy to kitbash monsters as needed.
    I re-skin monsters all the time. That rundown clank? Use the ogre stat block and add resistance to to physical damage to it.

  • #5795
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    I have to reskin some yuan-ti. I wanted to use the ones from Volo's but they're not quite challenging enough for my 9th-level party. I guess I could always bump up the numbers on the Volo's ones but that just seems cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #5796
    Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Nordschleife, Nürburgring
    Oratio
    23,648

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    I have to reskin some yuan-ti. I wanted to use the ones from Volo's but they're not quite challenging enough for my 9th-level party. I guess I could always bump up the numbers on the Volo's ones but that just seems cheap.
    Surely yuan-ti re-skin themselves

    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

    PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

  • #5797
    I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    26,267

    Ignore User
    Where would be a good place to host a DCC Kickstarter AMA?

  • #5798
    holiday cheers! Tarion'sCousin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio
    9,597

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    Where would be a good place to host a DCC Kickstarter AMA?
    Are you trying to promote a Kickstarter for some DCC material?

    Reddit and ENWorld spring to mind.
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

  • #5799
    Not a pony! GreyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    9,982

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    My 5e game has a certain amount of steampunk elements to it: airships, constructs, etc. That's going to be a recurring element, so I've been thinking of how to make some interesting constructs. There are some constructs in the various monster books but most are a little too specialized, or powerful, etc. And in any case not quite what I'm looking for. I want some relatively mundane constructs that are still mechanically interesting.

    I think I figured out my approach on that. They'll essentially all be based off the Animated Armor stat block, which is CR 1. They'll have 1 or 2 additional "tricks" up their sleeves, and possibly some vulnerabilities (aside from the animated armors vulnerability to anti-magic or dispel magic). For example, a construct designed to capture or restrain someone (like a guard) might fire nets, or have a sleep gas (as sleep spell) or fire slippery oil (as a grease spell). A more combat focused one might be have a flame thrower (burning hands) or possibly improved strength, damage, or a reach weapon. One designed for pursuit might have an ability like the Hunters Mark spell, or improved movement speed or an ability like the Jump spell. All first level spell equivalent sort of stuff.

    Fancier, more advanced models might have slightly better stats, or abilities that mimic higher level spells. Different Artificers might specialize in certain types of construct.

    I have an idea for a late game enemy where the big bad has captured teh soul of a phoenix in a construct phoenix under his control, and the PC's will have to fight it - and possibly free it so it can be reborn as it should be...
    You should check out the card list for Magic's latest block Kaladesh. It's got a major artifact/construct steampunky vibe. Some interesting ideas in there. Scroll down to the artifact section.
    GreyOne - "At what point do enough innocent bodies stack up where you decide your Second Amendment isn't worth the paper required to wipe a medium-sized bowel movement?"

    Ovinomancer - "As for your questions, more."

  • #5800
    I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    26,267

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarion'sCousin View Post
    Are you trying to promote a Kickstarter for some DCC material?

    Reddit and ENWorld spring to mind.
    My friend is doing a DCC Kickstarter for Crawling Under a Broken Moon soon, and I've helped with some writing and balancing parts of it. I mentioned to him I could an AMA for it as a Playtester/part writer.

    The DCC Reddit is pretty barren though, unless I couldn't find the obvious one. He has a big network of people on G+, but that doesn't seem like a good idea either (Reddit is great for AMAs, forums would be better than Facebook or G+ I would think).

  • #5801
    open face watermelon Barrowwight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Province
    West Virginia
    Oratio
    1,591

    Ignore User
    could try /dnd, /dungeonsanddragons, or/rpg

  • #5802
    Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio
    8,373

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    My friend is doing a DCC Kickstarter for Crawling Under a Broken Moon soon, and I've helped with some writing and balancing parts of it. I mentioned to him I could an AMA for it as a Playtester/part writer.

    The DCC Reddit is pretty barren though, unless I couldn't find the obvious one. He has a big network of people on G+, but that doesn't seem like a good idea either (Reddit is great for AMAs, forums would be better than Facebook or G+ I would think).
    Reddit is scary....
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

  • #5803
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    The Flow
    Oratio
    30,170

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Reddit is scary mind cancer....
    FIFM
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

  • #5804
    holiday cheers! Tarion'sCousin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio
    9,597

    Ignore User
    I texted one of the two GM's for my current Amber Diceless game yesterday and he revealed that the campaign has one session left. That's a huge surprise as it doesn't feel like we are anywhere near a climax. But apparently this arc was their planned finale from the beginning.

    Have any of you ever been in a campaign that's gone out with a whimper?
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

  • #5805
    EVOLVED: extra chromosome! Zappo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Patavium, Gallia Transpadana
    Oratio
    3,359

    Ignore User
    I've always found it pretty hard to end a campaign. I have one or two players in particular that want to act out everything that happens after the end (completely missing the point of what the word "end" means). But the only alternative seems to be to keep playing until it stops being fun, which is worse.
    You say that I am testing the gods' patience? Oh... I'd rather call myself an experimental theologian.
    Factol Terrance

  • Page 387 of 402 FirstFirst ... 287337368369370371372373374375376377378379380381382383384385386387388389390391392393394395396397398399400401402 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •