Thread: Random RPG Thoughts (No Videogames Allowed!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    I'm using this.
    Cool! To your earlier point about stats - I'd use raven stats and cut the flight stat, and go from there.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Cool! To your earlier point about stats - I'd use raven stats and cut the flight stat, and go from there.
    It's savage world. I'm going to downscale regular zombie stats. They'll be useless, but they'll attack en-mass, which will involve ganging up rules.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    It's savage world. I'm going to downscale regular zombie stats. They'll be useless, but they'll attack en-mass, which will involve ganging up rules.
    All the scratching... and the horrible pecking!
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Zombie Chickens
    Attributes: Agility d4, Smarts d4(A), Spirit d4, Strength d4, Vigor d4
    Skills: Fighting d4, Intimidation d4, Notice d4
    Pace: 5; Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
    Special Abilities:
    - Claws: Str
    - Fearless: Zombies are immune to Fear and Intimidation.
    - Undead: +2 Toughness; +2 to recover from being Shaken; called shots do no extra damage (except to the head).
    - If killed by a head shot, chickens will continue to attack the nearest creature (at random if more than one) for 1d4 rounds before dying unless otherwise killed.
    - Weakness (Head): Shots to a zombie’s head are +2 damage
    - Size: -1

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Star Track Adventures was meh. Not bad, and the adventure had some fun parts, but the system is meh.

It's some 2d20 system that works well in so.e parts, strains a little in others.

Random 5e magic item thought: I've got a ranger PC in my game who is a dual-wielder. I was thinking about getting her some sort of magic weapons, and it occurred to me to do a matched set, which could be attuned as a set. Now I'm thinking thematically appropriate powers for a pair of short swords. One idea that came to mind is a "whirling dervish" sort of set - use a bonus action to make a Shove action, forcing your enemy back (maybe akin to the pushing attack manouever , which is a little better than shove).

Any other ideas come to mind for a set of light weapons?
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Random 5e magic item thought: I've got a ranger PC in my game who is a dual-wielder. I was thinking about getting her some sort of magic weapons, and it occurred to me to do a matched set, which could be attuned as a set. Now I'm thinking thematically appropriate powers for a pair of short swords. One idea that came to mind is a "whirling dervish" sort of set - use a bonus action to make a Shove action, forcing your enemy back (maybe akin to the pushing attack manouever , which is a little better than shove).

A single weapon (heavy-bladed longsword) that - after attunement - can be split into two smaller weapons (the two short swords). Skin them as having little hooks on their ends, to move opponents around on the battlefield. Using them together allows the attuned wielder to move through a hostile creature's space, regardless of size, and count that space as normal terrain.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User

Shock and Awe -- one of these pair of short swords is made of fine steel with a rough pattern down the center of the blade, and the other is made of magically hardened flint. When used together, they grant resistance to electricity damage. Further, if the wielder strike with both Shock and Awe, the next strike with either deals an additional 1d6 lightening damage.

Hammer and Spike -- this set of weapons is a light hammer and a long spike (dagger damage). Made by dwarves, yadda yadda. When used together, they two have different effects depending on their usage. If Spike is used for an attack, and Hammer is used as the bonus dual wielding attack, when Hammer hits it deals damage as normal and the wielder can make a shove or push attack as part of the attack. If Hammer is used to attack and Spike used for a bonus attack, on a hit Spike deals damage as normal and the wielder can choose to have the opponent be grappled by releasing Spike. The grapple DC is 13? Or set by the wielder (10+STR)? Could go either way.

Shimmer Blades -- this matched set of short swords seems to shimmer and fade, making them hard to see. When used to make a dual wielding bonus attack, on a hit the bearer can choose to not deal any damage, instead both blade shimmer out of view. The next attack made with the Shimmer Blades is made with advantage and deals and extra d6 damage. After this attack, the blades become visible again. (So, I can see this as a ranger making 2 normal attacks and a bonus attack round 1, shimmering, then making 1 advantaged attack and one regular attack and the shimmering again round 2, and so on.) Alternatively, while shimmering, the bearer can use their reaction to parry an attack that would hit them and increase their AC by 3 against that attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Humble (Houston), TX
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    The grapple DC is 13? Or set by the wielder (10+STR)?
    Minor nitpick: DC = 8 + proficiency bonus + STR modifier

That was some cool stuff!

I'd figure a way to mix thunder and lightning for the Shock and Awe combo.
    you suddenly see a light, behind it is a glow, too bright to see, it comes toward you and part of it breaks off, and hits the ground near you, All magic and magic items cease to function and you all take 50 million divine damage ignoring damage reduction and immunities. Also you area all disintegrated.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Was avoiding any prof bonus on the grapple because that gets weird quick with expertise and remarkable athelete.

And thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Oh man I hope this turns into a glorious trainwreck like that Captain Commando guy on RPGnet (or whatever his name was).

There was some kind of company that did DMing for hire combined with a Hawaii vacation package. Sadly I could never convince my fellow nerds that we should all go and take our wives/SOs.
    Still excited about 4th Edition!
    -----
    * 'You'd need to start with a party of 20 or 30, so that each of the grisly traps could fail to be avoided.' -- Calamari Face, discussing a D&D movie set in the Tomb of Horrors

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I've been working on a bunch of new subclasses for 5e: a tattooed monk, a grappler monk, and three new paladin oaths- an oath of fealty (to a secular liege), an oath of freedom, and an oath of life (hunter of the dead type). I'm also thinking about a knight of the chalice adaptation, though that might make a better prestige class.

I'm a little reluctant to get into developing my Oath of Freedom/Life stuff until I see the new paladin builds in Unearthed Arcana on Monday, though.
    Spoiler Alert!

Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Would you hire this man to DM for you?

"d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

Yeah WTF is on his face?
    Still excited about 4th Edition!
    -----
    * 'You'd need to start with a party of 20 or 30, so that each of the grisly traps could fail to be avoided.' -- Calamari Face, discussing a D&D movie set in the Tomb of Horrors

• Page 382 of 403 FirstFirst ... 282332363364365366367368369370371372373374375376377378379380381382383384385386387388389390391392393394395396397398399400401 ... LastLast