Thread: Random RPG Thoughts (No Videogames Allowed!)

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I've never had those vision. In fact I don't much have any time length in mind when I start spinning up a campaign. I just have a beginning, and ending, and occasional some strong middle ideas, and that's it.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure i could plan for a long time running campaign. All my trouble with campaigns comes from filling out the parts between Point A and Point Z (or where ever the PCs get to and we come to a conclusion). Too many middle parts and I'd have serious bumrout.
    Oh, I don't went to give a false impression. I only knew the broad strokes, it's not like I planned every detail (or even most). That's also part of why it's so hard to remember all the details and the exact flow of the story - I knew generally where things would be going, but not all the details. Filling the point from A to Z involved improvisations (usually between sessions, though.)

The basic idea was that the player characters would work at restoring the Nerath Empire and stopping a cult of Aberrant creatures before they could rip apart this universe (in their belief, to protect the Far Realm from this stable universe).

Even the big villain shifted in this - Initially I wanted to use Allbar (a star that promises change and disaster when it appears) as a villain, but I decided to twist the story and make him an ally of the good guys.

The players also had their "special" request - a player in charge of the character most likely to be the future emperor wanted to try out a different character to play Rogue, and so I accommodated him for a few sessions, integrating it in the story. Another wanted to turn his character into a Warforged (in an attempt of the character to get out of his Raven Knight contract. It didn't work out as expected for the character, but I suppose for the player). And later the first character wanted to focus more on his characters magic (he was a Warlord, but had Ritual Casting and was basically the groups "utility spellcaster") and play a Warlock, so I build that into the story, too.

Province
    Mason Dixie Line
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    Yesterday I concluded my now apparently 8 year long D&D 4 campaign, Knights of the Silver Dawn". It was a campaign that went from level 10 to 30 over t his time, and was played mostly on Thursday evenings from ~7:30 to 10:00 pm, with several week long breaks for campaigns with other GMs.

A lot has happened. The campaign took some unexpected turns, but not that many - the basic idea I had in my mind pretty much worked out. This is the longest campaign I ever DMed or experienced as roleplayer, and it's the first I actually succesfully ended at its logical conclusion. Whoa.
    I feel your pain, anxiety, relief. It's good to FINALLY conclude something and see that nearly everything you wanted worked out. Give it a couple of weeks, the itch to DM will return...
    Failed RPG Writer.

My 1st to 20th 3e campaign took about 9 years to complete, and I had a mixture of feelings of accomplishment and relief when it ended - I've managed to run a number of campaigns of 10+ levels over the years. After this last one I took an almost 5 year break (which mostly coincided with the 4e cycle) and only recently have started up a serious campaign again, as opposed to a handful of one-shots. It took a while for the creative juices to recharge.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Things I thought I'd never Google:

Zombie Chicken Stats

Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post

Zombie Chicken Stats
    What did you find?
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

Province
    Michigan
    Oratio

Ignore User

Zombie Chicken Stats
    Context! We demand context!
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. - Douglas Adams

Still excited about 4th Edition!
    -----
    * 'You'd need to start with a party of 20 or 30, so that each of the grisly traps could fail to be avoided.' -- Calamari Face, discussing a D&D movie set in the Tomb of Horrors

A zombie chicken is slightly problematic: A zombie must have its head removed to destroy it, but chickens are known to continue living without heads.

Zombie Chicken: Broken!

Province
    Humble (Houston), TX
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Infinite Immortal Undead Chicken Zombies!!!!!
    you suddenly see a light, behind it is a glow, too bright to see, it comes toward you and part of it breaks off, and hits the ground near you, All magic and magic items cease to function and you all take 50 million divine damage ignoring damage reduction and immunities. Also you area all disintegrated.

Encounter Building Thoughts - my PC's are exploring a small demiplane that they believe is connected to the Plane of Shadow. It's actually got a couple of connections - to the Plane of Shadow (specifically an undead-rich area known as the Great Graveyard) and to a floating island castle on the Plane of Fire (which is the home of an exiled Unseelie Fey lord). They're intending to follow a necromancer who was using the demiplane as a base to create some nasty undead; the necromancer is a servant of that exiled Fey lord - for the record, he fled to the Plane of Fire and from there back to the Prime Material.

I want to make the nexus between these planes memorable (as memorable as it gets for 3rd level 5e PC's). The PC's have kind of fucked around with the original demiplane, and it may be a bit unstable at the moment, and I thought - let's make the junction between these three places unstable as well.

At first I was just thinking about tossing a couple of Phase Spiders in there. Then I thought, how about making the entire encounter area unstable as well? Roughly the same size area, but three different environments (one underground roots-y connected to the original demiplane, one more crypt-like connected to Shadow, and one more dry and cavernous connected to the Plane of Fire). The Phase Spiders were drawn here by the instability, and killing them will stabilize the area. I'm thinking of ways to allow movement between the three areas - there maybe valuables in each of them, and the Phase Spiders may try to make off with any paralyzed victims to one of the other areas, and the PC's can figure out how to jump over themselves and rescue them.

Are there any other monsters that you can think of that have a phasing power like Phase Spiders? To some extent Displacer Beasts come to mind, but I don't think i want to use those here...

Province
    Michigan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Ethereal Filchers come to mind.
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. - Douglas Adams

Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Are there any other monsters that you can think of that have a phasing power like Phase Spiders?
    I hear that zombie chickens can phase between places--but sometimes their heads don't make it.
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by RedWick View Post
    Context! We demand context!
    A module I'm writing was going to have zombie farm animals. I wanted to be complete.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    A zombie chicken is slightly problematic: A zombie must have its head removed to destroy it, but chickens are known to continue living without heads.

Zombie Chicken: Broken!
    I'm using this.

Province
    Michigan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    A module I'm writing was going to have zombie farm animals. I wanted to be complete.
    That sounds amusing.

• Page 381 of 401 FirstFirst ... 281331362363364365366367368369370371372373374375376377378379380381382383384385386387388389390391392393394395396397398399400 ... LastLast