Thread: Random RPG Thoughts (No Videogames Allowed!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    You consider statting up an entire city fun? In Pathfinder?

Are you insane?
    Not an entire city. The city/town encounter table on page 191 of the 1e DMG. And it does sound like fun, and something I could use for years to come. But again, probably not something I should be wasting my time on while I have two adventures to prep.

And if you are surprised I'm still not on board with your "Pathfinder sucks" screed, you really should pay a little more attention.
    Bold adventurers needed! Now recruiting adventures in the Scarred Lands!
    Slaad's Scarred Lands Pathfinder PbP: (Recruiting - IC - OOC - Characters)

The Secret Volcano Base: my neglected RPG blog

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Slaad View Post
    And if you are surprised I'm still not on board with your "Pathfinder sucks" screed, you really should pay a little more attention.
    Whether you're on board with it or not, it still sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Whether you're on board with it or not, it still sucks.

I should stat up every entry in the City Encounter Table (Harlots included) in Pathfinder.
    You consider statting up an entire city fun? In Pathfinder? Are you insane?
    Doing it right would require... research.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Not an entire city. The city/town encounter table on page 191 of the 1e DMG. And it does sound like fun, and something I could use for years to come.
    I would be interested in seeing the process/results.
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Don't know if anyone of you read Critical Hits or not, but I was just linked to it... this particular author (multiplexer) has a wicked cynical sense of humor and writing. I'm definitely falling in love with her style.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Don't know if anyone of you read Critical Hits or not, but I was just linked to it... this particular author (multiplexer) has a wicked cynical sense of humor and writing. I'm definitely falling in love with her style.
    I'm sure you'll eventually blame her for the downfall of civilisation due to her feminazism.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm sure you'll eventually blame her for the downfall of civilisation due to her feminazism.
    If she is a feminazi it's not evident in her writing... ergo... concordantly... vis-a-vis... QED... the proof is in the pudding... she isn't a feminazi.

Because if she were her every article would be filled with the standard Feminist bullshit narrative, instead she comes across as a witty, cynical, snarky, economist.

And no Feminist could ever be an economist. Completely incompatible world views.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

I first heard about Eyes of the Stone Thief on the tome show podcast and thought "That's pretty cool". Then I saw it was written by Gareth Ryder Hanrahan (one of my fave RPG authors) and now I really want it.

What's stopping you? $49.95 is less than the cost of an expensive dinner or a newly released console game.

Edited to add: I *may* be trying to justify to myself my recent purchase of the $140 bundle of Dracula's Dossier for Night's Black Agents.
    Still excited about 4th Edition!
    -----
    * 'You'd need to start with a party of 20 or 30, so that each of the grisly traps could fail to be avoided.' -- Calamari Face, discussing a D&D movie set in the Tomb of Horrors

Province
    Mason Dixie Line
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Anyone else go dick deep and get the GoodMan Games Judges Guild kickstarter? I did. I can't wait to get a 13"x18" fucking tome and put that sucker on my coffee table. It's going to be MASSIVE.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ectors-edition

Goodman Games has a reputation for Kickstarters with exciting stretch goals! But this particular project is a stretch goal in and of itself: producing a book measuring 13”x18” is not something we would ever have attempted without Kickstarter! We anticipate that this project will be the most expensive print run Goodman Games has ever attempted. We also do not want to delay delivery of the main book by adding stretch goals that extend the completion time. Therefore, we are focused on stretch goals that don’t add lead time.
    Already cleared:

• The book will include a sewn-in ribbon bookmark.
    • It will also include a gatefold page that folds out to measure 26" wide x 18" tall, which we plan to use to print an oversized edition of the original Badabaskor maps.
    • We have also worked in gold foil stamping on the front cover of the book, which will allow us to print an impressive version of the classic Judges Guild shield (or something similar; exact image still in progress).
    • We are going to add approximately 8-10 more pages to showcase some of the additional content presented in this Kickstarter, including the articles and art by Bob Bledsaw, Jr. as well as some of the vintage Judges Guild photographs.
    • Backers will receive two free PDF's from Fat Dragon Games plus PDF's of select Judges Guild products plus PDF's of the Goodman Games 3.5 editions of Judges Guild books! (Check the links to see which titles get which PDF's - but backers of the oversized hardcover get all!)
    • We will include an oversized full color print, tucked inside the front cover of the book, of approximately 13"x18", which will feature the Tegel Manor maps in a loose format suitable for framing or player use. (The book will still include the same maps bound-in.)
    • And we will include a second oversized full color print, featuring Bob Bob Bledsaw, Jr.'s painting of the original "Sunnyside mural", re-created from memory. This is the painting, originally more than four feet hall, that graced the hallway at the Judges Guild "Sunnyside" headquarters location more than three decades ago! No known photos exist but Bob is re-painting it from memory for this project.
    Failed RPG Writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuas Randallus View Post
    What's stopping you? $49.95 is less than the cost of an expensive dinner or a newly released console game.

Edited to add: I *may* be trying to justify to myself my recent purchase of the $140 bundle of Dracula's Dossier for Night's Black Agents.
    What's stopping me: in part, the fact that I find I am running megadungeons less these days; I've become more of a "5 room dungeon" kind of guy.

I kickstarted Dracula Dossier, but now that I see the final product, I would love the print bundle. It looks sweet.

(Coincidentally, Gareth also wrote most of Dracula Dossier.)
    Last edited by Caesar Slaad; April 2nd, 2016 at 12:28 PM.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I tried running two types of dungeon recently with my group. Both were a bit of a flop. One was a random dungeon. That was slightly my fault because of the math behind the randomness, but it still didn't have the fun factor to it that I thought it would. The other took four sessions to get through and by the end of it I think everyone was sick of the place.

I think from now on that I'm going to lean towards making things shorter. If it can't be finished within a session, or at most two, I think I'll bin it.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

For my gaming buck, for the way I play, I am finding 0one Games with their catalog of maps exceedingly awesome.

I'm with y'all on the subject of shorter dungeons. My next game's going to have a massive underdark/dungeon-ish area but really most of the tunnels and passages are just going roads to get the PC's to another relatively self-contained mini-dungeon. My gaming group has been having big problems getting everyone to be able to attending (life just gets in the way for adults) so my plan is to keep each session as self-contained and adaptable as possible so that I can run even when a couple of people are out - our tendency has been to cancel if anyone is out, and that has led to big gaps in gaming.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

• Page 350 of 401 FirstFirst ... 250300331332333334335336337338339340341342343344345346347348349350351352353354355356357358359360361362363364365366367368369400 ... LastLast