Thread: Random RPG Thoughts (No Videogames Allowed!)

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I played that character in a 3e D&D game... and several times in non-D&D fantasy settings.

Not sure I see the comedy...
    The irony, however, is priceless...
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    The irony, however, is priceless...
    Honestly that character (a 3e Elven Rogue/Ranger with Favored Enemy Orcs) constantly making Diplomacy checks to diffuse potential conflicts with Orcs was fucking funny.

Me: So I get a +1 to Diplomacy with Orcs from my Favored Enemy...

The Party and DM: DAMMIT!
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Honestly that character (a 3e Elven Rogue/Ranger with Favored Enemy Orcs) constantly making Diplomacy checks to diffuse potential conflicts with Orcs was fucking funny.

Me: So I get a +1 to Diplomacy with Orcs from my Favored Enemy...

The Party and DM: DAMMIT!
    I can see how that could be funny the first few times....
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarion'sCousin View Post
    I can see how that could be funny the first few times....
    The party really did hate it *. The DM was cool with it, we still got the XPs for the encounter and I made our Barony more allies...

Did I mention I was the mutherfucking Baron? Yeah, it was good to be in charge... **

* Okay, one guy hated it, but he was a bit of a munchkin. Everyone was cool with not expending resources to rid ourselves of small threats (threats i turned into future resources).

** The funny part is the DM had run that campaign set 3 times and every time it was an Elven rogue who ended up as Baron because the rest of the party was "unsuitable" in the eyes of the King (allied with an Elven kingdom, at war with a Dwarven kingdom, hated mages, distrusted woodsy types... so our party of Elven Rogue, Elven Ranger, Gnome Druid, Dwarven Fighter, Dwarven Cleric, and Human Wizard... right, pick the Rogue, again...).

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well no game this week. My friends Mom broke her leg and he spent the weekend in there keeping her company.

Maybe next week.
    She is getting transferred to a nearer hospital for longer term care today, so still no game this week. Poor girl's been in and out of hospitals for the last 6 years.

On the plus side it gives my two players more time to get around to finishing their character's stories via email.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Just finished up making a new character for the game I'm in. I'm giving my current character a break for a bit, largely because there's currently a bunch of friction with him. The game is loosely based on Firefly, and is using a major hack of AEG's roll and keep system. My current character is an ex-sniper semi-professional spy and bag man for the organized Resistance (think Brown Coats that managed to keep a planet or two, but can only manage to hold them so send 'operatives' to cause trouble elswhere). He has a very checkerboard morality (doesn't hesitate or even care about killing Imperials or people who are 'bad', but has interesting notions as to what constitutes 'bad') and is entirely dedicated to the cause. The other characters have strong suspicions about his affiliations, but he's been very good about failing to confirm or deny in ways that end the discussion. But he will not ever back down from a opportunity (and has essential hired the crew of smugglers and opportunists to do jobs by paying for their services himself without revealing he's paying for it -- it's always some other guy that wants this weird and dangerous crime committed), and the crew has gotten into a bunch of hot water lately with official scrutiny after being too close to too many odd happenings for awhile. So, of course, the GM throws another dangerous, sure to piss off the authorities mission in front of him, and in attempting to convince the crew to help, a good bit of friction between him and another character (a nun for the Order of the Guiding Hand and expert forger who keeps losing the path of righteousness to scads of money for indulging in a bit of crime) has left me thinking it's time for Ty to go on a bit of a personal mission.

So I made a new character up, and since I need to replace one of the few solid combat guys in the group, he's a combat guy as well. Since Ty is a sniper with a high powered laser rifle, I went the other way with a hand-to-hand expert. I also made him a cyborg, with a few nasty surpise gadgets. He's also very physically oriented, and can climb and jump and Parkour! well. To be really different, I made him an Imperial citizen (a perk available) and went ahead and bought the max value for that meaning he's essentially Imperial nobility. But I didn't want to flaunt it, so he travels incognito. A first for me, he's an orphan as well. So, I made a guy who's fast, mean, beats the crap out of people with his fists, has some nifty gadgety abilities, is rich but hides it, and is an orphan. It was after I did all this that I realized I made Batman.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    It was after I did all this that I realized I made Batman.
    If he is The Batman, he has to brood, perched on building ledges or corners, in the rain, about how if he'd just been the Gawd-Damned-Batman when he was a wee tyke his parents might still be alive!

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    In running my 1e game last night, for the first time ever, I used a duckbunny.

In fact, I wouldn't be super surprised if it was the first time ANYONE has used a duckbunny.
    Spoiler Alert!

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User

In fact, I wouldn't be super surprised if it was the first time ANYONE has used a duckbunny.
    Spoiler Alert!

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by the Jester View Post

And you're still drunk aren't you?

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Umm... we use them all the time. That's what we, in the Never Never, call a "platypus".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    London, Canada
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Umm... we use them all the time. That's what we, in the Never Never, call a "platypus".
    He's not talking about fucking a duckbunny.

Weirdo.
    “There is no intimacy; it’s not live,” he said of online games. “It’s being translated through a computer, and your imagination is not there the same way it is when you’re actually together with a group of people. It reminds me of one time where I saw some children talking about whether they liked radio or television, and I asked one little boy why he preferred radio, and he said, ‘Because the pictures are so much better.’ ” - E.G.Gygax 1938-2008

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Bovine View Post
    He's not talking about fucking a duckbunny.

Weirdo.
    This is Australia you dumbass. We fuck sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    And you're still drunk aren't you?
    Pretty sure I was when I posted!

That's just how my group rolls.
    Spoiler Alert!

Province
    Colorado Springs
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I've been playing some CoC lately and it has reminded me how much I missed being a player as opposed to a GM. I'm dying a lot, though, but so is everybody else, so it's all good. Some of the scenarios we've played bend the rules greatly in favor of NPCs* which is a little crappy, but we're having fun all the same.

*Notably many NPCs have laser-focused skill sets (e.g., "axe murder"), with individual skills pumped up so high (e.g., 95%+) that failure of any kind is unlikely.
    If you're going to be an asshole, commit. Don't piss on me and tell me that it's raining.

• Page 300 of 402 FirstFirst ... 200250281282283284285286287288289290291292293294295296297298299300301302303304305306307308309310311312313314315316317318319350400 ... LastLast