Thread: Random RPG Thoughts (No Videogames Allowed!)

Province
    Back from the dead, it would seem...
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlZog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    In response to a question about in one of the panels, asking if he was going to DM during the con, Mike Krahulik said he'd be happy if he could just play. He then recited how had gone up to the WotC rooms and asked the woman at the table, "What do I have to do to play some D&D?" "You have to have signed up at 9 am," she snarkily told him.

I don't know if she knew who he was. I was surprised at how many people there did not recognize Gabe and Tycho. Saturday afternoon, I was playing in a Dungeon Delve game when Mike wandered through the room followed by a film crew. Some of the players at our table made small talk and he wandered off. Then the DM asked, "Who is that?"
    "That's your host," we told him.
    Well, then... I am less skeptical.

But, I'm also relatively unsympathetic, as it sounds like (as per usual), WotC dropped the ball organizationally by not coordinating with the convention organizers. Quelle surprise!

Whereas, I heard that the folks over at the Compleat Strategist table in the hallway (wasn't there, so I'm not sure the description is entirely accurate) refused to turn anyone away who wanted to play a game, and even drafted GMs on the spot to run for players, adding it up to a crazy enthusiastic time for all involved.

Which is how it should be.
    Last edited by madwabbit; April 1st, 2010 at 02:52 PM.
    Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt.
    --
    "Et des boyaux du dernier prÍtre, serrons le cou du dernier roi." -- Diderot
    --
    You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
    And now and then stab, as occasion serves.
    -- Christopher Marlowe,
    Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Province
    Detroit, yo
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    I spent a few hours last night working on my big posterboard campaign map, and it looks like I may have some blank spots I need to fill. Any ideas for cool dark fantasy slash sword & sorcery type fantasy kingdoms or regions?

I also need to further develop my Arabian Nights esque expanding kingdom Qizmir, but I'll probably have a look at the Muslim conquest and the Sassanian Persian empires for inspiration there. I also need to develop the remnant petty kingdoms that are the the leftovers from my dead tiefling empire.

Drawing some blanks there too. I wonder if I could combine patchwork petty kingdom medieval Germany with ancient Egypt somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by iHobo View Post
    I spent a few hours last night working on my big posterboard campaign map, and it looks like I may have some blank spots I need to fill. Any ideas for cool dark fantasy slash sword & sorcery type fantasy kingdoms or regions?

I also need to further develop my Arabian Nights esque expanding kingdom Qizmir, but I'll probably have a look at the Muslim conquest and the Sassanian Persian empires for inspiration there. I also need to develop the remnant petty kingdoms that are the the leftovers from my dead tiefling empire.

Drawing some blanks there too. I wonder if I could combine patchwork petty kingdom medieval Germany with ancient Egypt somehow?
    Do you have a kingdom which has completely banned arcane magic?

Province
    Quincy, Massachusetts
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by madwabbit View Post

Whereas, I heard that the folks over at the Compleat Strategist table in the hallway (wasn't there, so I'm not sure the description is entirely accurate) refused to turn anyone away who wanted to play a game, and even drafted GMs on the spot to run for players, adding it up to a crazy enthusiastic time for all involved.

Which is how it should be.
    Compleat Strategest has quickly become our FLGS. They did have one table that they were demoing games and they indeed didn't turn anyone away. They also had a small indie section set up with someone there to tell you about the awesomeness of the game content. He also was very informative about the flaws too.

We have 20% off coupons for there that we are planning to use on Free RPG Day. We buy something from each store we visit.

They had a good weekend, and I was happy for them.

Damn you, Rusty COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Rel's Avatar
    Province
    In my house.
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    The Kingdom of Scantly Clad Redheads With Big Tits is always a welcome addition.
    www.scottmoorecoaching.com

The next CAMP NCGD is on April 23-27, 2015.

Province
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Princesskeyblade View Post
    Compleat Strategest has quickly become our FLGS.
    Yeah, I hear great things about them up there -- the store they run down here in Northern Virginia, however, totally sucks and reinforces every negative stereotype about gamers and gaming stores you can think of.

They also had a small indie section set up with someone there to tell you about the awesomeness of the game content. He also was very informative about the flaws too.
    That was probably Joshua Newman or maybe even Luke Crane (who was apparently on his best behavior! ).
    --
    --
    -- Christopher Marlowe,

Happiness is a Warm Gun Exploder Wizard's Avatar
    Province
    Fredericksburg VA
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rel View Post
    The Kingdom of Scantly Clad Redheads With Big Tits is always a welcome addition.
    Ruled by the stunning Queen Tits McGee.

Of course shortly after forming the kingdom, it would be overloaded with horny immigrants and shortly thereafter overpopulated by the resulting baby boom.

Province
    Quincy, Massachusetts
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Yeah, I hear great things about them up there -- the store they run down here in Northern Virginia, however, totally sucks and reinforces every negative stereotype about gamers and gaming stores you can think of.
    That's too bad. The one up here is small but we are greeted with a happy to see us "How are you?" and they are more than happy to help find stuff for us.

Province
    Detroit, yo
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by francisca View Post
    Do you have a kingdom which has completely banned arcane magic?
    Not per se, but most cultures take a relatively dim view of magic. One too many magical catastrophes in the world's history.

toss my salad iykwimaityd COMMUNITY SUPPORTER diaglo's Avatar
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Not per se, but most cultures take a relatively dim view of magic. One too many magical catastrophes in the world's history.
    for your petty kingdoms are you base it on former colonies now turned indie rulers? with a feudal warlord like run system. thinking british empire pullouts here or even chinese ones.

or are you going for something more like modern day somalia. with pirates and such.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Happiness is a Warm Gun Exploder Wizard's Avatar
    Province
    Fredericksburg VA
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User

Never been in there. That's too bad. Oh well thanks for saving me the trip.

I am so lucky down here in hicksville to have this place:

http://www.thegamevault.net/index.html

A one stop shop of gaming awesome.

Province
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploder Wizard View Post
    Never been in there. That's too bad. Oh well thanks for saving me the trip.

I am so lucky down here in hicksville to have this place:

http://www.thegamevault.net/index.html

A one stop shop of gaming awesome.
    Apparently the CS in NoVA used to be hot shit -- but now the insides are dilapidated, crappy furniture, carpet all torn and frayed, the place smells musty, it's small and cramped, the inventory is poorly organized, and the staff reeks of disdain and despair.

They do, however, carry a lot of small press/indie titles that The Game Parlor refuses to carry... but that's not enough to overcome (for me) the total failure of the store as a professionally run pro-hobby store.
    --
    --
    -- Christopher Marlowe,

Province
    Detroit, yo
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    for your petty kingdoms are you base it on former colonies now turned indie rulers? with a feudal warlord like run system. thinking british empire pullouts here or even chinese ones.

or are you going for something more like modern day somalia. with pirates and such.
    Not sure. I just envisioned that my version of Bael Turath (kinda) is today made up of a bunch of contiguous petty kingdoms, most of whom claim to be the legitimate heir of the Bael Turathi legacy. Although in reality, none of them can even imagine what Bael Turath was really like at its heyday.

Although I don't actually use Bael Turath. I did swipe the idea from that 4e implied setting detail, though.

Weevil/Ligon COMMUNITY SUPPORTER WayneLigon's Avatar
    Province
    Montgomery, AL
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    You got your serpent-worshipping secretly-run-by-immortal-serpent-men theocracy placed yet?

Province
    Detroit, yo
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    No, but I like that idea.

Sadly, the blank space I have is mostly all in the north. Since the center of the map is roughly Mediterranean-like geographically, that puts my blank areas where the equivalents of north Germany and the Baltic are, more or less.

I mean, I guess I could always ignore sensible weather patterns, or even have this be a southern hemisphere analog of the Mediterranean, where it actually gets hotter as you go north, but that would require some significant changes from what I had envisioned already.

Although... southern hemisphere...

• Page 15 of 312 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333465115 ... LastLast