Thread: Random RPG Thoughts (No Videogames Allowed!)

Great suggestions, Ovi. I agree fully that traps by themselves are boring. I do intend to involve the entire party here; luckily they're all fairly dex-based roguish types so they should be effective (the star PC in this case is actually a DEX-based ranger; she has no idea her family is a family of assassins at this point).

Now I need to go load up and play Portal all the way through again. For research purposes...
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Great suggestions, Ovi. I agree fully that traps by themselves are boring. I do intend to involve the entire party here; luckily they're all fairly dex-based roguish types so they should be effective (the star PC in this case is actually a DEX-based ranger; she has no idea her family is a family of assassins at this point).

Now I need to go load up and play Portal all the way through again. For research purposes...
    Dishonored wouldn't be a bad choice, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Dishonored wouldn't be a bad choice, either.
    You can also throw some elements of Dungeon Keeper in here, like Imps that are moving about at speed trying to repair stuff, a few creatures lazing about in a lair, etc.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

I think I'm going to try to keep them thinking its automated for as long as possible. Ovi's idea about magic mouths solved one question/problem for me - how to have the fiend interact and watch the PC's as they go through the dungeon - i'll let them think its magic mouths as long as possible, until they start talking back, in the same vein as players not realizing the computer in Portal is not simply malfunctioning, but actively wanting to kill you.

The first player to make the Portal connection will get Inspiration.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The first player to make the Portal connection will get Inspiration.
    The first person to shout "PARKOUR!" while doing some crazy acrobatics, jumping, or such stunt should also get that.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    The first person to shout "PARKOUR!" while doing some crazy acrobatics, jumping, or such stunt should also get that.
    That's just about every session with my group!

BTW, checking out the original Assassins' Run adventure (from Dragon #64), it's not bad. It's a fairly realistic, low-level adventure (by Ed Greenwood, back when Forgotten Realms was just a thing in Dragon magazine articles like this one) and I think I can repurpose bits of it, though I'll need to redo the map (mostly because the Run begins and ends in the same room whereas I want it to end someplace else; its otherwise a sensible map).

Province
    New Jersey
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Is it just me or is this place dead? In years past, we'd see alot more action regarding RPGs, and very active postings on both the playing by post section of the forums and on the convention section - there was nearly no discussion of Gencon 2018...

I'd have to say largely dead. Forums seem to be a pretty archaic form of online communication these days. Apart from Reddit (does that really qualify as a forum platform?), are there any that really are useful? ENWorld seems to get good traffic, but I rarely go there these days.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Forums seem to be a pretty archaic form of online communication these days.
    Specific focus forums seem to still being doing adequately. General topic forums are losing to Facebook and other places.

ENW, sjgames, Piazo forums are pretty busy. A few webcomic forums I visit are busy.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Here's been blocked by work... which has limited my visits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Here's been blocked by work... which has limited my visits.
    So you're joining diaglo on the Isle of Lost Posters?

Damn, that sucks.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    So you're joining diaglo on the Isle of Lost Posters?

Damn, that sucks.
    Yeah, I think this has happened a good bit: workplaces are blocking forums, but still allowing access to places like Facebook. Worktime fuckoffery is therefore moving to Facebook, so, since that's where the most effort is applied (workplace fuckoffery is much higher than private time fuckoffery for internet abusings), it's where they go in the off-hours as well. I don't do Facebooks, so my non-work fuckoffery still wanders by. Or is enabled by breaks where I get on my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Yeah, I think this has happened a good bit: workplaces are blocking forums, but still allowing access to places like Facebook. Worktime fuckoffery is therefore moving to Facebook, so, since that's where the most effort is applied (workplace fuckoffery is much higher than private time fuckoffery for internet abusings), it's where they go in the off-hours as well. I don't do Facebooks, so my non-work fuckoffery still wanders by. Or is enabled by breaks where I get on my phone.
    Once upon a time, there was this vast and free internet where anyone could form a home for a community, where we could freely exchange ideas.
    Today, we have echo-chambers on facebooknet.

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    It takes people to initiate talks too.

I did Gen Con, but avoid most of the news, so I was either in Lucas Oil or by the DCC corner.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User

SHOTS FIRED!!!

• Page 398 of 399 FirstFirst ... 298348379380381382383384385386387388389390391392393394395396397398399 LastLast